Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th May 2010, 11:41 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggenhagen View Post
I don't really see the point in complaining to the BBFC about it either. As Vincenzo already said their hands are tied by the Cinematograph Films (Animals) Act 1937 which they have absolutely no power to change. I'm sure that some of the examiners would sympathise to some extent with fans being upset but it's a matter of law so what can they do? It certainly won't hurt for them to know that people are displeased but they'll just have to issue their standard response - which no-one can argue with.

If you really wanted to get things changed then the way to do it would be to contact your MP. Only through an amendment to the law will this be resolved - and the fact that the UK passed a law on the matter way back in 1937 shows how strongly people in this country care about animal welfare. Personally I'd love to see older films uncut and I don't have a problem with the cat & mouse scene for example (infact I think it's daft to cut such sections from films that were made in different times or with different considerations) but I can see why people do have a problem with it and why the law exists. I think that the best that could be expected would be some sort of amendment to exempt films over a certain age (maybe from before films were properly monitored or something) unless there was evidence of exceptional and sustained cruelty - even then I think such a change would be extremely unlikely.
It's a good point but actually I think the answer is to still write to the BBFC - they have to log all this AND also e-mail to your MP - at least then we've all then lodged our thoughts.
Old 26th May 2010, 11:43 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs View Post
Ok folks - well we can debate the merits of how the BBFC will react and the unlikeliness that they will change anything but if we don't ever say something then we can't complain that nothing moves forward.

Based on the efforts on here of everyone writing in Arrow have decided they have to try too and are sending in a letter as well. If you feel strongly please do so as well. It should be polite and we have to assume the decision will remain but in any democracy if you feel strongly about something - let the government body responsible know about it!
That's great to hear. I'm glad Arrow are also putting their foot down and expressing their distaste for the cut. Even if nothing comes out of it we at least get the satisfaction of saying we tried.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggenhagen View Post
I don't really see the point in complaining to the BBFC about it either. As Vincenzo already said their hands are tied by the Cinematograph Films (Animals) Act 1937 which they have absolutely no power to change. I'm sure that some of the examiners would sympathise to some extent with fans being upset but it's a matter of law so what can they do? It certainly won't hurt for them to know that people are displeased but they'll just have to issue their standard response - which no-one can argue with.

If you really wanted to get things changed then the way to do it would be to contact your MP. Only through an amendment to the law will this be resolved - and the fact that the UK passed a law on the matter way back in 1937 shows how strongly people in this country care about animal welfare. Personally I'd love to see older films uncut and I don't have a problem with the cat & mouse scene for example (infact I think it's daft to cut such sections from films that were made in different times or with different considerations) but I can see why people do have a problem with it and why the law exists. I think that the best that could be expected would be some sort of amendment to exempt films over a certain age (maybe from before films were properly monitored or something) unless there was evidence of exceptional and sustained cruelty - even then I think such a change would be extremely unlikely.
Whatever the case, some action should be taken to let them know we're not happy. Maybe someone should contact the MP if that's what it takes.
Old 26th May 2010, 11:43 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Buggenhagen is absolutely right. Even if you disagree with the cut there's precious little that can be done without the law being changed. If as some people say (not inaccurately) the current law doesn't officially cover home releases of films then the BBFC would simply have it extended by legal means. The result would be that animal cruelty cuts would be even more toughened up.

If Arrow can prove that scene in question involved either no genuine animal cruelty or wasn't staged for the film then they would have an excellent and strong case for appealing. Can they though?

Last edited by vincenzo; 26th May 2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old 26th May 2010, 11:44 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
Whilst I respect your opinion it makes me want to bash my head very hard against a wall.

I hope you are the minority. The vast minority. For me, extra features are part of the appeal of ANY purchase and if someone is selling me a movie with nothing else on the disc I feel pretty fricking ripped off.
Extras are nice and all, but surely it is the film that matters? You don't go to buy shoes then get excited about the extra laces they throw in the bag do you?

I buy a film for the film. That's surely the important thing? If there are extras, fine, but I rarely watch them. I would also prefer they were on a separate disk always if they are more than just a trailer. If it was a choice between audio/video resolution or extras, I'd happily sack off the extras everytime.
Old 26th May 2010, 11:47 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Extras are nice and all, but surely it is the film that matters? You don't go to buy shoes then get excited about the extra laces they throw in the bag do you?

I buy a film for the film. That's surely the important thing? If there are extras, fine, but I rarely watch them. I would also prefer they were on a separate disk always if they are more than just a trailer. If it was a choice between audio/video resolution or extras, I'd happily sack off the extras everytime.
I think people fall into two camps - some can live very happily without extras and others not but I think it's good to have them for the films that count and shows a level of respect that other companies really lack for the films they pick up.
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Whilst it's a shame about the absurdity of the cut, I lie in the camp of extras, packaging, special features > 100% uncut barebones release.

There is a line, though. I would NEVER buy anything that was completely cut to ribbons, no matter how many extras and goodies it came with. A five second cat and mouse scene I can easily live without.

Any news on that fourth panel?
Cultist

Hello

I have never complained about anything in my life, but this has 'woken me up'! I have emailed the BBFC, time to tell our moral guardians that real life nature is far more violent than any movie! The email is below:

To whom it may concern

I have never felt the need to complain about any of your decisions, although I do find some of them baffling but the decision released yesterday to cut 5 Seconds from Dario Argento’s INFERNO surprised me so much I felt I had to contact you. I realise that there is an Act of Parliament which outlaws the mistreatment of animals for cinema (but I also understand that this does not apply to private viewing) but the scene in question shows a cat eating a mouse – which I don’t mean to sound sarcastic but isn’t that what cats do? I have a cat which regularly kills birds, mice and other rodents and although it is distressing it is after all the natural thing for a cat to do. Does the board have any proof that that scene was deliberately staged? After all this film was made 30 years ago and filmed abroad. This decision to me is as baffling as cutting 70 – 80 year old cowboy movies for horse falls or other films that passed with no cuts years ago but now find themselves cut because of ‘modern’ attitudes?

I agree in the past that the BBFC has cut such films as ‘CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST’ justifiably because of the shocking, cruel way in which animals were exploited purely for shock value but ‘INFERNO’ in my opinion does not fall into that category of film. It is in my opinion it is a valid work in the genre of horror and is no way exploitative in the same sense as other cannibal films from the 70’s.

I feel this decision and some of your policies (not Acts of Parliament) are now becoming an hindrance to the UK DVD industry at a time when margins are becoming ever tighter and also puts off companies from releasing these films (and, no I don’t work in the industry!) which deprives film fans in this country from enjoying films which would never see the light of day. It forces people to buy their DVD’s from abroad, from countries where there is no censorship.

It is my opinion that the days of censorship from the BBFC is now redundant; with, as I mentioned the ability to buy DVD’s from abroad and of course illegal downloading which potentially exposes people all sorts of dangerous material. I realise you are legally bound by the VRA and unfortunately have to put up with headline-grabbing politicians, so called morality campaigners and the lunatic fringe of the right wing press but this decision belongs in an other age. It is not right that companies in this country can have their products tampered with in this fashion, after all if I bought a book that had a few pages removed I would feel cheated and demand my money back. I feel that this also applies to film.

In closing, I urge you to reconsider this decision. I would also urge you to reconsider your policy on the treatment of animals, I think there is a huge difference between the repulsive sight of animals being mutilated purely for kicks and material showing natural interaction between an animal and it’s prey. If the BBFC’s policies were applied to television then we would never see any wildlife programmes as they often depict animals fighting and killing each other. I’m a firm believer that people over the age of 18 should be free to choose what they want to watch in the privacy of their own home, within the law of course. With the greatest of respect, I don’t need the BBFC to decide what I can and can’t watch, I feel that I am old enough and mature enough to make that decision on my own.
Old 26th May 2010, 11:51 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye View Post
Whilst it's a shame about the absurdity of the cut, I lie in the camp of extras, packaging, special features > 100% uncut barebones release.

There is a line, though. I would NEVER buy anything that was completely cut to ribbons, no matter how many extras and goodies it came with. A five second cat and mouse scene I can easily live without.

Any news on that fourth panel?
Good point! With this thread actually now turning into an Inferno let's all have a break for a moment, pop the kettle on and survey the final fourth artwork panel for Inferno. Now this is the Greek CBS Fox video artwork:

Old 26th May 2010, 11:53 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Good point! With this thread actually now turning into an Inferno let's all have a break for a moment, pop the kettle on and survey the final fourth artwork panel for Inferno. Now this is the Greek CBS Fox video artwork:

Never seen that artwork before. It works really well with the white border.
Old 26th May 2010, 11:56 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:

That's superb.

Like Goji, I've never seen this artwork before either.

Almar, I asked this the other day but I think it must of got lost amongst the games of cat and mouse... - who decides which alternative artwork panels are used? Is there a team who look at all the possibilities and then choose, or is it just a case of having to work with the material you have? Just curious.

Like this? Share it using the links below!