Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th May 2010, 11:58 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs View Post
Good point! With this thread actually now turning into an Inferno let's all have a break for a moment, pop the kettle on and survey the final fourth artwork panel for Inferno. Now this is the Greek CBS Fox video artwork:

Interesting art. Not a fan of it but at least it's different to mix things up a bit.
Old 26th May 2010, 12:01 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye View Post
That's superb.

Like Goji, I've never seen this artwork before either.

Almar, I asked this the other day but I think it must of got lost amongst the games of cat and mouse... - who decides which alternative artwork panels are used? Is there a team who look at all the possibilities and then choose, or is it just a case of having to work with the material you have? Just curious.
Yup - as I said earlier this thread is moving so fast that if I've not answered anything please repeat and I'll get to it!

The artwork panels are decided according to various things - how much artwork we can get (sometimes it will literally be four bits and no more) and between the designers, me, Alex at Arrow and new guy - and already top star - Fran at Arrow who is really making every effort to try and get the best possible results for every title.

And of course - you guys also choose - Dawn of the Dead being a classic example where the gasmask artwork was regarded a favourite and in the end we tracked it down. I would like to improve the interaction on having you guys choose - half the problem though is lack of time - takes so long to get the artworks often that there's not much time for debate!
Old 26th May 2010, 12:08 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs View Post
Yup - as I said earlier this thread is moving so fast that if I've not answered anything please repeat and I'll get to it!

The artwork panels are decided according to various things - how much artwork we can get (sometimes it will literally be four bits and no more) and between the designers, me, Alex at Arrow and new guy - and already top star - Fran at Arrow who is really making every effort to try and get the best possible results for every title.

And of course - you guys also choose - Dawn of the Dead being a classic example where the gasmask artwork was regarded a favourite and in the end we tracked it down. I would like to improve the interaction on having you guys choose - half the problem though is lack of time - takes so long to get the artworks often that there's not much time for debate!

Cheers for the quick reply Almar.

Interesting to know what goes into the picking process. There are a couple of pieces I quite like in respect of the upcoming Argento releases, so I could start a thread tonight to see if anyone else wants to input some potential ideas for alternative artwork. Will all the forthcoming Argento releases be 4 panel or 2 panel Almar? (I know it may depend on whether they get the Blu treatment or not) Or is it too early to tell?
Old 26th May 2010, 12:09 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
If as some people say (not inaccurately) the current law doesn't officially cover home releases of films then the BBFC would simply have it extended by legal means. The result would be that animal cruelty cuts would be even more toughened up.
This is actually a very interesting point. A search of Hansard shows that the last time the Act was brought up with regards to video the exchange was as follows:

"Cinematograph Films (Animals) Act
HC Deb 16 March 1993 vol 221 c172W 172W

§ Mr. Llwyd

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department what plans he has to amend the Cinematograph Films (Animals) Act 1937 to include films shown on television, in private clubs, and in video form.

§ Mr. Charles Wardle

We have no plans to amend the Cinematograph Films (Animals) Act 1937."

It can be read here

Although the Act appears not to apply I'm sure that if a case was brought against a video then the Act would be amended, as Vincenzo mentioned earlier.

Anyway, loving that Greek artwork - nice work.

Trampy And The Tramp win Curry Lover(s) of the Year award at the Scottish Curry Awards 2010

www.trampyandthetramp.blogspot.com
Old 26th May 2010, 12:13 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Glad to see Arrow writing a letter.

And for the cynics, come-on, writing a quick email will put some weight against this. We're talking about a classic Argento which has a natural scene for a few seconds, we need to show we are adults!
Old 26th May 2010, 12:17 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

I've never seen that artwork before either. Quirky stuff and definitely worth including.
Old 26th May 2010, 12:17 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye View Post
Cheers for the quick reply Almar.

Interesting to know what goes into the picking process. There are a couple of pieces I quite like in respect of the upcoming Argento releases, so I could start a thread tonight to see if anyone else wants to input some potential ideas for alternative artwork. Will all the forthcoming Argento releases be 4 panel or 2 panel Almar? (I know it may depend on whether they get the Blu treatment or not) Or is it too early to tell?
The more feedback the better - I'll start some official threads for each title and then you can post up any images you have in mind and get others to do the same - the more input the better the result! I don't know as yet how many panels there will be - essentially the more artwork (that we can get hi-res) the more likely we get four panels.
Old 26th May 2010, 12:18 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Hold on a second, this 5 second cut is absolutely ridiculous. I don't know if anyone's seen Sharkwater yet but there's a graphic scene of a shark being mutilated by some guys on a boat. They cut it's head half off and chuck it back in the water while it's still alive trying to swim. As it's trying to swim off it tears it's own head off more and more before drowning. It's horrific to watch. This film got a 15 certificate! So if a 15 year old can watch this without any "traumatic outcome", how comes an 18 year old can't watch 5 seconds of a mouse being eaten by a cat? What a ****ing joke, I mean honestly. What do the BBFC take us for?

Preordered it anyway along with all the other Arrow Blu-ray preorders as I haven't seen Inferno yet. Really looking forward to another awesome Arrow blu package. Keep up the incredible work and effort you've all put into these releases. Love 'em so much!

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 26th May 2010, 12:19 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by broonage View Post
Glad to see Arrow writing a letter.

And for the cynics, come-on, writing a quick email will put some weight against this. We're talking about a classic Argento which has a natural scene for a few seconds, we need to show we are adults!

I'm ever the cynic but I wrote them an e-mail last night.

If you don't try, then you don't know.
Old 26th May 2010, 12:20 PM
Cultist

Where do you get the artwork from for these panels? Are they scanned from the original covers/posters etc that people have in their collections? It's great having them in the final products - a really great little extra. Thanks for the effort...

Trampy And The Tramp win Curry Lover(s) of the Year award at the Scottish Curry Awards 2010

www.trampyandthetramp.blogspot.com
Closed Thread  

Like this? Share it using the links below!