Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th May 2010, 02:23 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
Presumably the probable cuts to I Spit On Your Grave will provoke the same reaction?
Definitely. I've already written to them about this, as you well know. Why should we be silent? If I have something to say I'll say it. What's so wrong about that? I think the BBFC should know how people feel - after all, it's part of their 'policy' to go with public values and opinions, they say so themselves. So how are they to know if no-one tells them? As for the cuts being compulsory, I think we've already covered that ground and now know full well there is NO law that says they are legally obliged to cut such scenes for private consumption, the Act only applies to the public exhibition of films. If the powers-that-be wanted this Act to include home video, then they should've specifically written that into any amendments to this Act. They haven't (which shows the lack of concern by the legal departments in this respect) and so the law still doesn't apply to home video recordings. The fact is the BBFC have taken it upon themselves to extend coverage of the Act to home video - but there has been no legal mandate to do this, it's a decision they've taken themselves.

As for cuts to NYR, I was just surprised it was passed at all considering its troubled history - but I still didn't agree with the cuts and never will and I never have.
Old 26th May 2010, 02:30 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
They haven't (which shows the lack of concern by the legal departments in this respect) and so the law still doesn't apply to home video recordings. The fact is the BBFC have taken it upon themselves to extend coverage of the Act to home video - but there has been no legal mandate to do this, it's a decision they've taken themselves.
Presumably you mean the animal footage? If so perhaps it's time they did so then, and the sooner the better. It would mean more cuts would be implemented but it would stop this from being endlessly alluded to.

Would you prefer it if they did? Just curious.

Incidentally I Spit On Your Grave is covered by both the VRA and the OPA. The BBFC will classify the film according to these acts.
Old 26th May 2010, 02:42 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Thanks fellas and if you've not done it already please write to the BBFC to express your anger at this. It can only help.

That email again is:

contact_the_bbfc@bbfc.co.uk

In the meantime, let's keep trying to make these editions as magical as possible (even for those who could care less about extra goodies )
Old 26th May 2010, 02:44 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
In the meantime, let's keep trying to make these editions as magical as possible (even for those who could care less about extra goodies )
The more the better.
Old 26th May 2010, 02:49 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
Would you prefer it if they did? Just curious.

Yes, then they could be called consistent... amongst other things!

Welcome to The Deuce
Old 26th May 2010, 02:53 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

The BBFC's response to a recent query about the application of the Animals Act to home releases was posted on WWDVD a few days ago.
Old 26th May 2010, 02:55 PM
Ex-member
Good Trader

Here is my email to the BBFC, although I feel like I am pissing against the wind:

Hello there

I'm just emailing you to say I am rather annoyed at your choice to cut the new Arrow release of Dario Argento's Inferno.

I completely understand that you have to cut scenes of animal cruelty and in most cases I totally agree but all this is is a cat eating a mouse! It's a natural phenomenon, it's what cats do. You see a lot worse than this on David Attenborough programmes.

Is it one rule for one director and one for another? I feel if Steven Spielberg or some other "respected" director had made this film it would have been left in. For instance if Dario Argento had made Apocalypse Now exactly the same way as Francis Ford Coppola would it have remained uncut or would the killing of the cow have been censored?

I thought you had come along a long way in recent years, apparently I thought wrong.

It's decisions like this that can sometimes make or break a company, Arrow have my full support in their releases but I have a principal not to buy films that have been censored by yourselves, I feel like I am getting cheated.

Word will and has got about that this release will be cut and it will affect how many people purchase it.

If companies sales are affected because their films are cut I find it rather sad, especially the fact that they have to pay your good selves a ridiculous amount of money for you to cut and potentially ruin their films for them.

Aarron
Old 26th May 2010, 02:56 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I can't believe how fast this thread is moving; I've only been away a few hours and have messed about four pages! Just to put my two cents in about a few other subjects raised:

I'm kind of an obsessive when it comes to extra features and will spend hours watching documentaries, listening to commentaries and reading booklets to find out as much as I can about a film I like.

I don't think there's any harm at in writing to the BBFC and your MP to say how ridiculous the cut is and why the BBFC should not apply legislation to DVDs and BDs when it is meant to only cover films for public exhibition. I'm glad that Arrow are writing a letter as it may carry a little more weight than one written by your average viewer and, as they say, "every little helps"!

The fourth panel is superb and really something worth including as it is so different from 'normal' artwork.
Old 26th May 2010, 02:59 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
I'm kind of an obsessive when it comes to extra features and will spend hours watching documentaries, listening to commentaries and reading booklets to find out as much as I can about a film I like.
Me too. Often the extra features can be as interesting (and occasionally even more so) than the film itself. To have them on the disc, rather than just Play/Scene Selection, is a worthwhile bonus.
Old 26th May 2010, 03:00 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

The forth panel is very siminlar to the Italian poster I have!

Welcome to The Deuce
Closed Thread  

Like this? Share it using the links below!