LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th May 2010, 05:02 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
Incidentally if the cat/mouse scene in Inferno had been taken from stock footage (via a documentary etc) then the BBFC would have had no reason to cut it.
Hate to keep going on but I see absolutely no disctinction between the two.I know the BBFC do,but a cat eating a mouse is a cat eating a mouse,no matter how the act was captured on film.they should have no reason to cut it either way.I know they'll never change though.
Old 26th May 2010, 05:04 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Nonsense.

I am a fan of the film. I want it uncensored. Thus I will buy an uncut version. I appreciate the work done by the flk at Arrow and Shameless but if they cannot provide the product I want to buy why should I buy it?

There's plenty of their product I have bought and will buy - I ordered the Arrow City Of The Living Dead Blu-Ray this morning - but if a release is not what I want I shouldn't feel obliged to buy it just because I am a member here, surely?

I regret that I don't feel I can buy the Arrow release, but I do not feel comfortable buying an uncut version of this film. Which is surely my right?
It's a free country so people should buy or not buy what they want - I do think we should leave it at that or this becomes an argument that no one wins.

There's nothing Arrow can do other than appeal and all the e-mails that have gone in today from you good folks. With or without those 5 seconds it'll be a hell of a release - everything is being dissected on here so it's all upfront and you can decide accordingly but I wouldn't say never say never - still got more to reveal!
Old 26th May 2010, 05:04 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Well, if I have learned anything today it is the very surprising fact that people seem to value extras and general disk filler over the director's vision of a film.

I am genuinely surprised at the nonchalance of some responses to this censorship and the importance put on a load of trailers and documentaries and other fluff about the film you can't see in its full version.
I would hardly describe as what Calum, Naomi and the rest of the good folk do as "general disk filler". It is a valuable insight into what went into making the film, how it is viewed by the general public and, more importantly, by those who were behind and in front of the camera.

I would I always prefer to see a director's true vision over some spurious editing choices by a faceless bureaucrat and that's why I'm going to contact the BBFC and my MP about this matter.

I do, however, think there is a massive difference between this five second cut and what James Ferman did in his tenure as head of the BBFC -- just imagine what he would have done with Inferno!
Old 26th May 2010, 05:06 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevoj View Post
I know the BBFC do,but a cat eating a mouse is a cat eating a mouse,no matter how the act was captured on film.
One was deliberately shot for use in the making a film. The other wasn't.
Old 26th May 2010, 05:07 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
I do, however, think there is a massive difference between this five second cut and what James Ferman did in his tenure as head of the BBFC -- just imagine what he would have done with Inferno!
He cut the cat/mouse scene for cinema and then repeated the cut (with an additional cut to the cat/chair scene) for video releases.
Old 26th May 2010, 05:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Yes, that was a bit harsh, but the matter has me seething. I am sorry for that term. I realise a lot of work goes into these extras and that a lot of people seem to value them. But to me that's just what they are: "extras". Secondary to the main event, and usually things I will never click onto. I can live without them and I was expressing surprise at the devotion they seem to muster in others.

I didn't mean to demean the hard work that goes into them.
While I don't begrudge you saying it's "just extras" (remind me to tell myself that next time we decide to add yet another piece to the forthcoming Deep Red and Beyond DVDs when, clearly, the correct answer is not to bother and the bare minimum is the best way...) I will say this:

It might be a pain in the rump the BBFC have removed it but in the long and short of things, that cat eating a mouse neither adds nor subtracts anything to Inferno. It's still one of my top 10 horror flicks with or without that moment. I think it's more the principle of it that is annoying: there seems such little reason to remove it.

So as Almar has urged: email the BBFC your thoughts.
Old 26th May 2010, 05:10 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

And let's leave the extras debate at that - we've covered it all very well today - incredibly busy thread!
Old 26th May 2010, 05:10 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
And therein lies the rub and the crux of why the BBFC's position is so untenable. I have absolutely no problem with "animal on animal" violence, it's when humans butcher harmless creatures on film for the purposes of entertainment that I think that someone needs to step in. I don't think it should be censored, only appropriately certificated so that right minded adults can watch it in the privacy of their home.
Old 26th May 2010, 05:11 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
Indeed, my UK Laserdisc of Inferno is missing around 20 seconds. The cuts required are much less now.

Whilst this is clearly a step in the right direction a censored film is still censored no matter how short the cut!

Anyway, matters have improved, sad that the ridiculous and antiquated Animals law that is the main thing keeping censorship so rife here...well that and absurd paranoia over the supposed possible effects of things like Grotesque and I Spit On Your Grave.

But, back on topic, good luck with Inferno, Arrow! Hopefully I'll be the only sale you lose...and maybe I'll change my mind once I've calmed down over this whole thing anyway!
Old 26th May 2010, 05:14 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
and again,I see no difference.The scene would be the same no matter how it was captured.The BBFC say potato and I say potAto..Anyhoo,I'm waffling now!
Closed Thread  

Like this? Share it using the links below!