Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th May 2010, 11:59 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
Does that have The Fear of God documentary in which Kermode actually appears? He oddly seems to have been cut out of his own documentary on the R2 DVD.
The longer version (including Kermode) is on the 25th Anniversary VHS edition.
Old 27th May 2010, 12:18 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
That's the problem with me, I went straight for the DVD, bypassing VHS altogether. I only found out about the film from adverts when it was coming up to be re-released in 1999(?) and saw it at a midnight screening which blew me away and made me a horror fan I am today.

I do remember catching the full version on Channel 4 sometime after it was released and so found it doubly weird that the guy who wrote and presented the documentary didn't even appear in it on the British DVD! He must know how people like Mac McDonald feel when they see the final cut of, in his case, Aliens.
Old 27th May 2010, 12:26 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Luckily I still have the VHS, though the first TV showing of the documentary was even longer still (by about 10 mins). This one additionally featured a sadly ailing Mercedes McCambridge and (briefly) James Ferman.

Apparently McCambridge's family asked for her footage to be removed for the VHS (ie 74 min) version. No idea where Ferman's footage went though. I guess the distributors cut it.
Old 27th May 2010, 12:40 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
No idea where Ferman's footage went though. I guess the distributors cut it.
Ferman censored himself - he saw his face and realised it wasn't even acceptable in the 18 category.
Old 27th May 2010, 12:48 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Ferman censored himself - he saw his face and realised it wasn't even acceptable in the 18 category.
Now that is ironic, Ferman cut out of something he himself censored and banned! Maybe the editor decided to accept Mercedes McCambridge's family's wishes and removed her contribution but, just rubs salt in the wounds, cut Ferman as well!

In any case, I hope that the full version (or at least as full as it could be depending on what they do with Mercedes McCambridge) makes it onto the BD.
Old 27th May 2010, 02:04 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Now that is ironic, Ferman cut out of something he himself censored and banned!
Oddly enough Ferman never banned or rejected it. In fact he even passed it intact for the cinema re-release in the early 90's. He just continually urged Warner Bros not to submit it for home video, saying that it wasn't the time to release it and putting up banal obstacles.

It was passed for video within a month of his retirement as censor, followed a month later by the uncut Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
Old 27th May 2010, 02:06 PM
Cultist in Training

Getting back to "Inferno"...

Sad as it is that the film is cut, it's still an essential purchase for me. The scene in question is pretty much irrelevant to the plot (though no doubt someone could find a deeper meaning for it) and it's exclusion doesn't 'hurt' the film or it's narrative. I don't think the same could be said of the lizard scene in Deep Red. That scene needs to be kept in, and i'll be disappointed if it gets cut.

I didn't realize "Inferno" is getting the Arrow Blu treatment until tonight. I thought it was just DVD. From what i've seen thus far, it looks like an awesome package. Love the chosen cover arts, and even the custom cover by Rick is growing on me.
Old 27th May 2010, 02:11 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I must have misread the article then (note to self: must reread Censored). Anyway, I've also e-mailed the BBFC about that cut and their approach to censoring DVDs and BDs and also mentioned the seemingly ludicrous situation surrounding Beast in Space. I'll let you know what, if anything, comes back.
Old 27th May 2010, 02:21 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
I must have misread the article then (note to self: must reread Censored).
Censored is reasonably good for reference and the early sections are well written. Some huge mistakes and glaring errors in the latter part of the book alas. A corrected and updated version is long overdue.

BBFC case study on The Exorcist here (though missing any mention of Ferman).

Personally I don't see anything ludicrous about the 18 rating to Beast In Space. It isn't a sex film and therefore wouldn't qualify for an R18.

Where were we? Ah yes. Toweringly Inferno.
Old 27th May 2010, 02:23 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
It's also on the R1 25TH anniversary DVD, which is why I bought that instaed of the R2.

Ah, the good old days of the UK getting shafted with extras..
Closed Thread  

Like this? Share it using the links below!