Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th May 2010, 04:09 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs View Post
Just a little update from Arrow - they're pleased to say that the BBFC are going to take another look at their decision on Inferno.

We can't assume anything will change but very well done and many thanks to everyone on here for their reasoned and well-written letters and good on the BBFC for having another look.

At least we can't say that we didn't all try eh?
Let's hope they come to their senses on what was a cut most of us agree was not only unneeded but could hurt a niche label's sales. I think it is also worth pointing out to the BBFC how many people here maintain that animal cruelty in any form is wrong, that if this was Cannibal Holocaust it would be a different story and that animals need our protection.

But when it is a cat eating a mouse, the sort of thing us cat owners see all too often, a cut of any sort is totally indefensible - especially when a man eating an octopus can be passed in Old Boy and a python digesting a lizard made it through Last Cannibal World!
Old 27th May 2010, 04:10 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Nice of the BBFC. It would be an unprecedented decision though if the cut was waived.
Old 27th May 2010, 04:23 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Just a little update from Arrow - they're pleased to say that the BBFC are going to take another look at their decision on Inferno.

We can't assume anything will change but very well done and many thanks to everyone on here for their reasoned and well-written letters and good on the BBFC for having another look.

Well, this is a turn up for the books. I didn't expect this. Hopefully they will see sense and change their minds but I wouldn't put any money on it.

The BBFC properly wouldn't do this of their own accord, so it must have something to do with all of the e-mails that have been flying their way, probably with that from Arrow carrying the most weight. Fingers crossed!
Old 27th May 2010, 04:44 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
Let's hope they come to their senses on what was a cut most of us agree was not only unneeded but could hurt a niche label's sales. I think it is also worth pointing out to the BBFC how many people here maintain that animal cruelty in any form is wrong, that if this was Cannibal Holocaust it would be a different story and that animals need our protection.

But when it is a cat eating a mouse, the sort of thing us cat owners see all too often, a cut of any sort is totally indefensible - especially when a man eating an octopus can be passed in Old Boy and a python digesting a lizard made it through Last Cannibal World!
Absolutely agree - this isn't a case of man's inhumanity to animals, it's simply a brief scene of an animal doing what it would anyway. I think it's a whole different thing entirely.

Anyway, good on the BBFC for agreeing to look again. Who said that writing to the BBFC would have no effect whatsoever? The fact that they're considering the cut again is quite a big deal, I think - even if they reach the same conclusion second time around. At least we've been heard and not been apathetic about it. Well done evrybody - and well done Arrow! We might not get what we want, but I think Arrow certainly got their attention.
Old 27th May 2010, 04:51 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Who said that writing to the BBFC would have no effect whatsoever? The fact that they're considering the cut again is quite a big deal, I think.
Not at all. If a distributor appeals over a cut then the BBFC always review it. Nothing new there in the slightest. Some cuts have been appealed several times over.

As Angel says, the cut being rescinded would be much more unprecedented.
Old 27th May 2010, 04:58 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:

This is amazing news.Although we all like to moan about the BBFC and call them all the names under the sun,it's fantastic to hear that all of the passionate fans can help them think that maybe they could have another look.Well done folks,and well done to the BBFC (never thought I'd see myself typing that but it's deserved I think).Fingers crossed! and as you say Almar,we tried.
Old 27th May 2010, 05:05 PM
Cultist

Oh great news, now lets keep our fingers crossed that they will pass the cat
Old 27th May 2010, 05:36 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
Not at all. If a distributor appeals over a cut then the BBFC always review it. Nothing new there in the slightest. Some cuts have been appealed several times over.

As Angel says, the cut being rescinded would be much more unprecedented.
Ever the cynic eh, Vince?

At least let us enjoy the illusion a little while longer. No need to be so negative....not yet, anyway.
Old 27th May 2010, 05:46 PM
Active Cultist

Thank God for that! I hope it's a success.

The British censors need to be seriously dragged into the 21st Century. I've always thought that their idea that horror films would "corrupt" people is absurd to be honest.
Old 27th May 2010, 05:46 PM
Cult Acolyte

Fair play to the BBFC for this. I thought any sort of actual appeal had to go through some kind of long drawn out process. It may not result in what we want, but the fact that they are going to look at it again because of well-written and informed correspondance speaks well of them ( and us! ) Fingers crossed.
Closed Thread  

Like this? Share it using the links below!