Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th May 2010, 11:13 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

As mentioned countless times before on this thread (and does it sink in?) the BBFC applied the Animals Act to home releases after consultation with the Home Office. It would be a peculiar act indeed if the same rule for theatrical presentations wasn't also applied to home releases.

Get rid of the act and you get rid of the cuts. No other option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel View Post
The animals act does not allow the BBFC to pass cruelty based on whether the director has achieved respect or acclaim.
Absolutely right. The "respected director" Steven Spielberg had cuts made to Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom and 1941 (the latter was a silly one). The equally "respected director" James Cameron's film The Abyss is also cut in the UK under the Animals Act.
Old 28th May 2010, 11:17 AM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
As mentioned countless times before on this thread (and does it sink in?) the BBFC applied the Animals Act to home releases after consultation with the Home Office.
The thread's over eighty pages long. I've read quite a bit of it, though, and I didn't come across this. Not that I'm calling you a liar, but you can't expect somebody to read through more than eighty pages of a thread before posting. It's highly likely for members to overlook things.
Old 28th May 2010, 11:28 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philleh View Post
What about Apocalypse Now and Old Boy?

Hell, even E4's The Inbetweeners has aninal cruelty - the slow death of a fish in the first episode of season 2, yet they cut the fish abuse out of Ki-duk Kim's The Isle.

They need to sort themselves out, maybe this will see that they remain consistent.
Or the two scenes of snakes swallowing a lizard and a bat in Last Cannibal World or the goat having it's throat slit in Deep River Savages and the killing of the lizard in Moutain of the Cannibal God, which they passed.

The really do need to sort themselves out.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter

Last edited by Pete; 28th May 2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 28th May 2010, 11:34 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
As mentioned countless times before on this thread (and does it sink in?) the BBFC applied the Animals Act to home releases after consultation with the Home Office. It would be a peculiar act indeed if the same rule for theatrical presentations wasn't also applied to home releases.

Get rid of the act and you get rid of the cuts. No other option.

Absolutely right. The "respected director" Steven Spielberg had cuts made to Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom and 1941 (the latter was a silly one). The equally "respected director" James Cameron's film The Abyss is also cut in the UK under the Animals Act.
You need to lighten up Vinnie! Let's just wait for the outcome.
Old 28th May 2010, 11:42 AM
Cultist

I spent all day yesterday reading through every post in this thread. I had to do other things in between so at times it was more suspenseful than a Hitchcock movie, waiting to see the verdict from the BBFC.

Was the opening scene from Funny Games stock footage or was it filmed by Haneke and his crew? I thought it was specifically filmed but I may be wrong as it was a long time ago that I saw it.

I guess the BBFC are taking the line that they believe the scene from Inferno has been filmed specifically i.e. they've put the cat and mouse together and filmed the results, so I guess it's unlikely they'll reverse the decision without any evidence. Does anyone have a link to the scene? I know Almar said he would upload the scene somewhere so people could decide for themselves but I assume that will be after the DVD has been released.

I will still be purchasing Inferno regardless of the 5 second cut as the extras look excellent.
Old 28th May 2010, 11:48 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philleh View Post
What about Apocalypse Now and Old Boy?

Hell, even E4's The Inbetweeners has aninal cruelty - the slow death of a fish in the first episode of season 2, yet they cut the fish abuse out of Ki-duk Kim's The Isle.

They need to sort themselves out, maybe this will see that they remain consistent.

The water buffalo scene in Apocalypse Now isn't covered by the act because it was a ritual sacrifice that wasn't staged by Francis Ford Coppola and the rest of the crew -- they were filming something that would have happened anyway.

In Oldboy, he eats a squid which is an invertebrate and therefore not covered by the Animals Act.

I haven't seen The Inbetweeners, can't comment on that one, but have seen The Isle (Seom) and found the way that fish were treated to be extremely difficult to watch, even if it was narratively important.

Just in these three instances, there appears to be a degree of consistency as they frown upon cruelty to vertebrate animals which was staged for the camera but allow filmmakers to document/record ritual sacrifice and mistreat invertebrates, which had covered by the Animals Act.
Old 28th May 2010, 11:53 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phats View Post
Was the opening scene from Funny Games stock footage or was it filmed by Haneke and his crew? I thought it was specifically filmed but I may be wrong as it was a long time ago that I saw it.
I think that the sequence was filmed by Haneke and his crew but, as it was footage of animals being killed that would have happened anyway, it doesn't fall afoul of the Animals Act. It may have been stock footage but that, again, isn't covered.
Old 28th May 2010, 12:00 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
have seen The Isle (Seom) and found the way that fish were treated to be extremely difficult to watch, even if it was narratively important.
Hence The Isle receiving 2 mins of cuts in the UK.
Old 28th May 2010, 12:01 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Not wanting to sound like too much of a dic(tator) Maybe we should steer this one back in the direction of Inferno.
Old 28th May 2010, 12:03 PM
Ex-member
Good Trader

Quote:
Steven Spielberg had cuts made to Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom and 1941 (the latter was a silly one).
Temple of doom in the states had a new certificate invented just for it, true it was cut here, but not for censorship reasons, it was cut to get a lower rating.

What was cut out of 1941, I didn't realise it was cut.
Closed Thread  

Like this? Share it using the links below!