Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th May 2010, 07:16 PM
Cult Rookie

i wish arrow all the best with this release and hope that rationality will prevail
Old 30th May 2010, 07:29 PM
Cult Rookie

Look forward to Inferno. I certainly won't be turning my back on this release for 5 seconds of cuts. Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion but I hope enough of us support it to ensure we get other great special editions of classic films.

Arrow really are doing us proud, so let's back them to the hilt!!
Old 30th May 2010, 08:34 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
And for a five second (totally irrelevant and ineffective) cut that's a great way to punish a niche label, which has invested heavily in the enormous costs of an HD master for a Blu Ray of this title. It also pretty much puts at risk future releases.

I really hope that five seconds of a cat eating a mouse is worth it.
I don't buy Bluray based on supporting a company's future releases.
Inferno will be released in the US at some point and it will be uncut so I would prefer that.

I never buy censored films regardless of the reasons why or whether the cut is relevant or just 1 second.

I didn't buy a multiregion Bluray player , let alone a MR dvd player so I could pay for discs where the BBFC have tampered with it.

Nor will I buy one just to make sure Arrow can cover the costs of their HD master.

While I do appreciate the efforts they are putting in and I'm almost certain I will get their Inferno disc at some point , I wont be paying full price for a cut version whether its 5 seconds or 5 minutes.

I switched to Laserdisc in the 90's to avoid UK cuts and I'm certainly not going back to them now
Old 30th May 2010, 08:40 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post

the fact that so many people are willing to cast aside the new inferno disc for a brief cut is worrying, sales dictate the future of these releases and if it doesnt sell well then who knows what decisions will be taken by arrow in the future, i do not endorse censorship nor blind buying just for support however i do urge people to consider that sales of arrows release of inferno will be used as a gauge for future releases
I know you won't want to hear it but if Arrow don't release the titles in the UK then nobody will have any problems buying discs that are released in the US or in more sensible countries where censorship for adults is long gone.

Having had to tolerate BBFC interference throughout the 80's and some of the 90's has left marks on us long term film fans and we had to often look hard and spend high to obtain uncut tapes back then so even the most minor censor cut is something I will not tolerate.

But as I said , in their favour Arrow are putting together some incredible bonus packages which may sell the discs on their own and if its as good as it sounds I shall likely buy it even when the inevitable uncut version appears elsewhere , but I won't buy it when its a new release like I'm doing with the uncut films
Old 30th May 2010, 08:58 PM
Cult Rookie

i understand of the plight the the UK horror fan only too well, i have been importing tapes, laserdiscs, dvds and blurays since 1990. the point is that arrow are trying to give the UK market the type special edition releases that we have been craving for so long, these releases will be in jeapordy without our full support, the horror film buying community is very small so every purchase counts. you say that inferno could be worth buying for the special features but only from the bargain bin, you say that if arrow stop releasing then its no big deal because you can always import, if your views are the prevailing ones then arrows efforts are already doomed
Old 30th May 2010, 09:02 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
i understand the plight the the UK horror fan only too well, i have been importing tapes, laserdiscs, dvds and blurays since 1990. the point is that arrow are trying to give the UK market the type special edition releases that we have been craving for so long, these releases will be in jeapordy without our full support, the horror film buying community is very small so every purchase counts. you say that inferno could be worth buying for the special features but only from the bargain bin, you say that if arrow stop releasing then its no big deal because you can always import, if your views are the prevailing ones then arrows efforts are already doomed
I doubt it.
I'm sure I am in a minority and to be fair , censor cuts are likely to be an issue with not many titles anyway.

But Arrow should be selective about the titles they choose as there would be little point in releasing Island of Death, I Spit On your Grave ,House On the Edge of the Park , Cannibal Holocaust etc where the scenes that give the films their reputations would be missing .

For example ,I believe the UK release of New York Ripper has cuts at the famous razor scene which is why I have the Blue Underground Bluray

Someone said somewhere the other day that they thought I Spit On Your Grave would get through with only 1.5 minutes of cuts today.
Any company who release such a film with that amount of cuts should have their wisdom questioned
Old 30th May 2010, 09:09 PM
Cult Rookie

Arrow should be selective? with what? arrow have no intention of releasing the films you mentioned. are you also referring to inferno? are you saying that we should be deprived of an HD special edition of dario argento masterful film because we dont get to see a cat eat a mouse? the irrationality of what you are saying is ridiculous and is the type of response i most feared with this release, i sincerely hope that all the hard work with the dvd is not undermined by this type of thinking
Old 30th May 2010, 09:16 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Arrow should be selective? with what? arrow have no intention of releasing the films you mentioned. are you also referring to inferno? are you saying that we should be deprived of an HD special edition of dario argento masterful film because we dont get to see a cat eat a mouse? the irrationality of what you are saying is ridiculous and is the type of response i most feared with this release, i sincerely hope that all the hard work with the dvd is not undermined by this type of thinking
That's funny , a bit down the page is a thread asking whether Arrow should release Island of Death so excuse me for thinking it was a possibility.

Regardless of that , they should be selective for the reasons I stated.

Whatever films they release , if they have extensive cuts they may as well not bother .

The cuts in Inferno are not extensive by my definition but it is my choice whether I want to pay for cut versions of films that I've had uncut for more than a decade.

I'm sure Inferno will do well and be a popular choice for buyers - that is until the uncut version comes out somewhere and knowing that I wll buy that I prefer not to pay full price for a censored version , regardless of what the cuts are.

You refer to the dvd so I'm assuming you don't have Bluray .

The US Anchor Bay version is excellent and was going for under a fiver last time I looked.

I have a complete Argento collection on dvd including both releases of Four Flies so only Bluray is of interest now anyway.

I'm pretty sure Inferno has never been released on dvd in the UK before so I can see why you would want to support it but as I've had it on dvd for 10 years it's UK dvd release is a non event .

As an Argento collector since the VHS of Suspiria in 1982 the bonus features will be of interest but I don't pay full price when I only want the extras
Old 30th May 2010, 09:24 PM
Cult Rookie

you think that inferno will be popular but you will not be buying it unless its in the bargain bucket. we all import but what we want is great UK releases, in order to affect change the UK companies like arrow need the support of the buying public, the kind of half assed attitude displayed by some people on this forum makes me think that the guys at arrow and high rising production will have their work cut out for them with some UK consumers, i wish them all the best and hope that these people are in the minority
Old 30th May 2010, 09:30 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
you think that inferno will be popular but you will not be buying it unless its in the bargain bucket. we all import but what we want is great UK releases, in order to affect change the UK companies like arrow need the support of the buying public, the kind of half assed attitude displayed by some people on this forum makes me think that the guys at arrow and high rising production will have their work cut out for them with some UK consumers, i wish them all the best and hope that these people are in the minority
The bottom line is that if Arrow don't deliver then someone else will.
It's also irrelvant whether I buy a Bluray from the UK or the US or anywhere else for that matter.

I'm pretty sure Arrow are not a charity and don't expect to be treated like one.
I have bought some of their uncut releases on day one and will continue to do so but I find it quite strange that you think I should buy a cut disc of a film I already have uncut just to ensure Arrow can continue to exist.

Sorry pal but it does not work like that and neither will Arrow getting sales make one bit of difference to the UK censorship laws and I fail to see how you expect they will.

I will never buy an Arrow dvd as I have all the titles Arrow are releasing on dvd already - why would I buy them again?

If the bonus features are too good to miss then I will pick one up but pardon me for waiting until the price drops for a film I won't watch.

Likewise , as I have already got Blurays of Stendhal and Crystal Plumage I doubt I will get those either but I'm sure Arrow will still manage without me
Closed Thread  

Like this? Share it using the links below!