Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th May 2010, 09:36 PM
Cult Rookie

In which case I don't think that it is anybody's place to decide what it is an unnecessary sequence in a movie.

Dario is the only one who knows why that scene was included and no-one else has the right to decide whether it is unnecessary or not. Everyone will have their own opinions on the scene.

Some will decide to buy Arrow, others will look abroad for a release, but we don't have the right to make anyone feel guilty about not buying it.

All that can be done is for the public to support these releases. The rest is up to them.
Old 30th May 2010, 09:45 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by User1138 View Post
In which case I don't think that it is anybody's place to decide what it is an unnecessary sequence in a movie.

Dario is the only one who knows why that scene was included and no-one else has the right to decide whether it is unnecessary or not. Everyone will have their own opinions on the scene.

Some will decide to buy Arrow, others will look abroad for a release, but we don't have the right to make anyone feel guilty about not buying it.

All that can be done is for the public to support these releases. The rest is up to them.
Exactly.
And once I've waited long enough for the US or Europe to release it uncut I will buy the Arrow release.

I know it makes for good press to support the efforts of Arrow but in all honesty Blue Underground do an equally good job and it was a hard job deciding which release of City/Living Dead to go for .
IN the end it was price although now having got the Arrow release the little bonuses like poster , cards, booklet etc make me glad I chose it as they put a lot of effort into this title
Old 30th May 2010, 09:59 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelings View Post
Exactly.
And once I've waited long enough for the US or Europe to release it uncut I will buy the Arrow release.

I know it makes for good press to support the efforts of Arrow but in all honesty Blue Underground do an equally good job and it was a hard job deciding which release of City/Living Dead to go for .
IN the end it was price although now having got the Arrow release the little bonuses like poster , cards, booklet etc make me glad I chose it as they put a lot of effort into this title
What i will say is that Arrow should be given a chance. The words "never" "buy" and "arrow" have shown up on a number of pages in this forum and it is easy to see why. For too long the UK has been starved of decent releases of these movies. You have commented on the City disc, i know others have enjoyed the Dawn and Day releases. Look at what the previous UK versions of these were and tell me that we are not beginning to enjoy better times for these films.

I will admit that I don't know what my status with this release of Inferno (not having bluray and owning the aforementioned AB disc) will be. This will depend on how I feel at the time of release about the extras (the sole selling point for me), but I won't say that i will never buy Arrow discs because I already own these titles.

Yes I own most of them, but as technology moves on, better restoration is done (compare now to old EC discs) & some companies are willing to spend money on the releases.

So if the opportunity to upgrade to better quality, i will consider it. It would be my choice and no-one will force it upon me.
Old 30th May 2010, 10:13 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
What i will say is that Arrow should be given a chance. The words "never" "buy" and "arrow" have shown up on a number of pages in this forum and it is easy to see why. For too long the UK has been starved of decent releases of these movies. You have commented on the City disc, i know others have enjoyed the Dawn and Day releases. Look at what the previous UK versions of these were and tell me that we are not beginning to enjoy better times for these films.

I will admit that I don't know what my status with this release of Inferno (not having bluray and owning the aforementioned AB disc) will be. This will depend on how I feel at the time of release about the extras (the sole selling point for me), but I won't say that i will never buy Arrow discs because I already own these titles.

Yes I own most of them, but as technology moves on, better restoration is done (compare now to old EC discs) & some companies are willing to spend money on the releases.

So if the opportunity to upgrade to better quality, i will consider it. It would be my choice and no-one will force it upon me.
The only reason I will never buy an Arrow dvd is because I'm doubtful they will release anything I don't already have on dvd.(I'm more than happy to be proved wrong)

I know the Dawn of the Dead release was excellent.
Had the original promise of the Argento cut in HD come to pass I would have bought it.

As I have the Anchor Bay 4 dvd set aswell as their Bluray of the Theatrical version I could not justify buying the Arrow version ... and I did look at the extras long and hard but I couldn't see anything tempting that I didn't already have .
Old 30th May 2010, 10:17 PM
Cultist

why are people freaking out over 5 seconds of film? I mean OK it isn't uncut but its the first time this movie will be out on Blu-ray and with all those extras it's shaping up into a spectacular release, one every horror fan should own. All this negative response really bugs me.

Anyway when will Arrow know for sure if the cut will still be made? or did I miss that decision?
Old 30th May 2010, 10:19 PM
Cultist

Quote:
The only reason I will never buy an Arrow dvd is because I'm doubtful they will release anything I don't already have on dvd.(I'm more than happy to be proved wrong)

Had the original promise of the Argento cut in HD come to pass I would have bought it.

As I have the Anchor Bay 4 dvd set aswell as their Bluray of the Theatrical version I could not justify buying the Arrow version ... and I did look at the extras long and hard but I couldn't see anything tempting that I didn't already have .
I don't mean to be impolite but why are you telling us this? I was under the impression this was topic for people that DO buy Arrow releases? It's a free country of course but it still puzzles me a bit
Old 30th May 2010, 10:26 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nika View Post
I don't mean to be impolite but why are you telling us this? I was under the impression this was topic for people that DO buy Arrow releases? It's a free country of course but it still puzzles me a bit
Precisely because some people seem unable to understand why some people including me do not feel the need to buy the Arrow release of any title just because its there.

We are being told why we should support Arrow releases and I figured an explanation was better than saying "..because I don't want to".

5 seconds of footage is nothing really , however after escaping from the rules of the BBFC nearly 20 years ago via LD then dvd imports I'm not really interested in buying anything with BBFC cuts .

In fact I'm not sure I can even remember my last purchase of anything the BBFC cut.

Having lived through the Video Nasties era I find censorship abhorrent and will not tolerate the state telling me what I can and can't watch.

Having said that , I think resisting buying Inferno will be difficult without knowing when or if an alternative will be available
Old 30th May 2010, 10:33 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:

After having imported discs for many years, I too share the same concerns, but I won't ignore any future releases from them.

A lot of the discs issued by certain American companies have came with a short featurette running around 15 minutes and trailers. Certain famous titles, such as The Beyond have had the special edition treatment in the past and I can't wait to see what Arrow have lined up for this release as the US disc will be difficult to beat.

There are always opportunities for Arrow but they will have to consider what titles to release as they will always have to compete against established companies. If they are willing to invest money in the right titles and extras, then there will be reasons to buy / upgrade and if so then it will be for the fans to decide.
Old 30th May 2010, 10:41 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
After having imported discs for many years, I too share the same concerns, but I won't ignore any future releases from them.

A lot of the discs issued by certain American companies have came with a short featurette running around 15 minutes and trailers. Certain famous titles, such as The Beyond have had the special edition treatment in the past and I can't wait to see what Arrow have lined up for this release as the US disc will be difficult to beat.

There are always opportunities for Arrow but they will have to consider what titles to release as they will always have to compete against established companies. If they are willing to invest money in the right titles and extras, then there will be reasons to buy / upgrade and if so then it will be for the fans to decide.
I have to say that in general I have often been disappointed with Anchor Bays extras on the Italian films.

The extras for Deep Red and Inferno are not substantial and while The Beyond was pretty good it can easily be beaten by a good documentary.

The exceptions were Suspiria (50 mins) and Opera (35mins).

But I'm sure I'm not alone in my number one concern being the film must be uncut.

Remember the UK dvd of Last House On the Left in 2003.
Great set of extras but the 30 seconds of cuts rendered the release less important and the uncut R1 was still the disc to buy (until the uncut UK release of course)
That cut AB disc would be impossible to sell for 10p at a boot sale.

With the likelihood of uncut releases of films in other countries it makes the cut ones less desirable to buy .

Anyway , we could keep going round in circles on this one and as the cuts only affect 2 films that I know of it seems a storm in a teacup and if the info I saw posted elsewhere is correct that Deep Red is dvd only I won't be interested anyway even if the extras are outstanding which I'm sure they will be
Old 30th May 2010, 10:54 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Precisely because some people seem unable to understand why some people including me do not feel the need to buy the Arrow release of any title just because its there.

We are being told why we should support Arrow releases and I figured an explanation was better than saying "..because I don't want to".

5 seconds of footage is nothing really , however after escaping from the rules of the BBFC nearly 20 years ago via LD then dvd imports I'm not really interested in buying anything with BBFC cuts .

In fact I'm not sure I can even remember my last purchase of anything the BBFC cut.

Having lived through the Video Nasties era I find censorship abhorrent and will not tolerate the state telling me what I can and can't watch.

Having said that , I think resisting buying Inferno will be difficult without knowing when or if an alternative will be available
I totally agree that censorship is crap and this cut especially doesn't make sense at all but still this upgrade sure will be worth while. Cant wait to see it in HD on my 77" screen.

and no one is holding a gun to your head and saying you have to support Arrow so I really don't see your reason for posting this here. (but as I said its a free country). But c'mon it is a label worth supporting in my opinon. And who knows, there is still hope the cut will be waived.
Closed Thread  

Like this? Share it using the links below!