Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th May 2010, 10:56 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nika View Post

and no one is holding a gun to your head and saying you have to support Arrow so I really don't see your reason for posting this here. .
Did you not read the posts from Dan?
Old 30th May 2010, 10:59 PM
Cult Rookie

my posts are urging the UK fans to support a UK company. it seems the braindead few would rather not see them succeed
Old 30th May 2010, 11:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by User1138 View Post
Hopefully Calum or someone involved with the interview with Dario can help us out there.

Dario's work both in the giallo and horror genre has always been very heavily built on symbolism, and I would hate to think the scene was there to just be a bit controversial or shocking . There was enough of that being released at the time.
Whilst I appreciate your concern, time with Dario was limited and we had a number of films to get through. Getting interesting featurettes was top of our minds - not asking about a cat eating a mouse in a scene so inconsequential we doubt he remembers it (and, to be honest, none of us thought was going to be censored).
Old 30th May 2010, 11:01 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelings View Post
I have to say that in general I have often been disappointed with Anchor Bays extras on the Italian films.

The extras for Deep Red and Inferno are not substantial and while The Beyond was pretty good it can easily be beaten by a good documentary.

The exceptions were Suspiria (50 mins) and Opera (35mins).

But I'm sure I'm not alone in my number one concern being the film must be uncut.

Remember the UK dvd of Last House On the Left in 2003.
Great set of extras but the 30 seconds of cuts rendered the release less important and the uncut R1 was still the disc to buy (until the uncut UK release of course)
That cut AB disc would be impossible to sell for 10p at a boot sale.

With the likelihood of uncut releases of films in other countries it makes the cut ones less desirable to buy .

Anyway , we could keep going round in circles on this one and as the cuts only affect 2 films that I know of it seems a storm in a teacup and if the info I saw posted elsewhere is correct that Deep Red is dvd only I won't be interested anyway even if the extras are outstanding which I'm sure they will be

I do indeed remember the AB Last House disc. I purchased it for the extras despite then owning the uncut US and French discs. Followed shortly by the German 2-disc and now the 3-disc UK version (which had a great cover for David Hess to write on in Edinburgh)

Censorship is the one factor that UK companies don't have control over and yes the subject will arise again. Anchor bay UK and other companies have run into that issue and have had to battle through the appeals process. I only hope that Arrow chose to do the same to defend these titles where necessary instead of accepting defeat at the first hurdle.
Old 30th May 2010, 11:04 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
there would be little point in releasing Island of Death, I Spit On your Grave ,House On the Edge of the Park , Cannibal Holocaust etc where the scenes that give the films their reputations would be missing .

For example ,I believe the UK release of New York Ripper has cuts at the famous razor scene which is why I have the Blue Underground Bluray
Arrow is not releasing these titles (and Island of Death is being discussed on Cult Labs certainly so I cannot comment - but, honestly, you think that would be cut? Today?) but, theoretically, either way, if Cannibal Holocaust could get through the BBFC with the animal stuff removed but everything else present I, for one, would prefer to buy this version (given that there were more extra features).
Old 30th May 2010, 11:07 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
I will never buy an Arrow dvd as I have all the titles Arrow are releasing on dvd already - why would I buy them again?
Why are you posting in the Arrow section of this forum?
Old 30th May 2010, 11:09 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Exactly.

I know it makes for good press to support the efforts of Arrow but in all honesty Blue Underground do an equally good job and it was a hard job deciding which release of City/Living Dead to go for
And its comments like this that make me wonder why we bother... (i.e. I think we put about 10 times as much effort into our City release and I would like to think that having to pull all nighters with Nick and Naomi to get the three hours of new extras done was worth it)

Last edited by Calum; 30th May 2010 at 11:21 PM.
Old 30th May 2010, 11:09 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
my posts are urging the UK fans to support a UK company. it seems the braindead few would rather not see them succeed
Or perhaps the braindead are the ones who delude themselves that film fans buying cut versions of films already available uncut will save a company who I think can manage without a few sales here and there.

Or maybe the braindead fans are the ones stupid enough to buy a cut dvd when an uncut one is already available at half the price
Old 30th May 2010, 11:12 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
And its comments like this that make me wonder why we bother... (i.e. I think we put about 10 times as much effort into our City release but I would think that having to pull all nighters with Nick and Naomi to get the three hours of new extras done)
What are you whinging about ?

I bought the Arrow release anyway.

If Arrow want to be seen as a charity case then they are in the wrong business.

I realise this is an Arrow based forum but I didn't realise it was supposed to be an Arrow lovefest
Old 30th May 2010, 11:14 PM
Cult Rookie

a ridiculously short sighted view my friend, is the 5 second cut really that much of an issue for you? would you sacrifice this new special edition just to get a fix of cat on mouse violence? how does the lack of that scene impact inferno?
Closed Thread  

Like this? Share it using the links below!