LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th May 2010, 11:27 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelings View Post
I'm not complaining one bit.
The COTLD release was outstanding.

On paper I was torn between the Arrow release and the BU one but having seen the Arrow one its clear that a lot of work has been put into it.

I'm mainly having a go at dan who seems to think I should buy the upcoming censored version of Inferno to replace my uncensored one purely on the basis of supporting Arrow.

I realise its beyond the control of Arrow whether the film is cut but that does not change the fact I want an uncut version out of principle.

If Arrows package of extras for Inferno are anything like COTLD then I doubt I could resist getting it at some point anyway but I won't be cajoled by some nitwit ona forum (dan) who thinks Arrow need our charity
Fair enough. Some nice (and friendly) discussion tonight (although let's not call each other nitwits and try and respect opposing opinions eh?).

So before I go to bed...

Can we all get along now and agree that as many emails we send to the BBFC about this silly cut to Inferno the better?

Old 30th May 2010, 11:28 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Its not a question of seeing animal cruelty its a question of being denied the chance to see a film uncut that would be uncut anywhere else in the world
i see it differently, my point is its ridiculous excluding the new special edition in favour of an inferior, albeit uncut version. its not simply a case of cut vs uncut, its a case of ignoring an inconsquential cut in order to have a fantastic new special edition of an amazing movie, while also supporting the uk market. for me it will be well worth owning
Old 30th May 2010, 11:29 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
I have the US edition. But if a UK edition came out with better extra features, and no vivisection, I'd plump for that too.
We agree.
I do prefer to only have one edition of a film in my collection but I have been known to get a release purely on the basis of the extras and if they are at the level of COTLD it would be tempting but I would always want an uncut version of a film in my collection regardless of how questionable the footage is.

As a horror fan uncut films are essential.
For too long we put up with the BBFC.

But I would urge Arrow and any other UK company to perhaps not invest their money in films that would not be BADLY cut as whether people on this forum like it or not many fans will simply not buy them . Hello Vipco.

For the record , I don't think the cuts in Inferno are of much consequence but it still means the film is cut
Old 30th May 2010, 11:33 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
its not but its not a hatefest either and you havent done much else but that
I have stated I won't buy cut versions of films on Bluray.
From what I can see that applies only to Inferno.
How does that rate as a hatefest.

I already have COTLD.

I have only countered your attempt to make me feel guilty at not buying Arrow titles by telling you that if Arrow don't supply then plenty of others will.

And my reasons for not buying Dawn of the Dead were clear - the Arrow release had nothing I didn't already have.

Do you really expect me and others to buy a title purely from loyalty - albeit from a company that deserve it?
Old 30th May 2010, 11:36 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
But as with the rat scene in The Abyss in the long and short of things it does not make a good goddamn.

I understand the idea behind seeing every nanosecond of everything in a movie - just as I understand, on principal alone, the reason behind being upset at the BBFC saying you should not see 5 second of anything - so I can see where you are coming from. However, and maybe this is just me, but when it's such an inconsequential cut I tend to not honestly care (I have the UK cut of The Abyss for example).

Again, I do see where you are coming from and respect your opinion - I trust you wrote to the BBFC and expressed your anger at this (frankly dumb) removal from Inferno?
I've seen the UK cut of The Abyss and its too jumpy round the edit so that makes it a definite no-no.

To be honest , I'd forgot that Inferno was even cut.

I had the original CBS FOX VHS uncut for many years and even Sky Movies showed it uncut in the 90's

Last edited by phelings; 30th May 2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old 30th May 2010, 11:38 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by User1138 View Post
Yes it is dumb. Let's face it though, with the BBFC reputation for animal violence - especially at a time when they were trying to rush through the VRA without messing it up again - it was expected.
Is a cat eating a mouse "animal violence"?
Old 30th May 2010, 11:39 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Fair enough. Some nice (and friendly) discussion tonight (although let's not call each other nitwits and try and respect opposing opinions eh?).

So before I go to bed...

Can we all get along now and agree that as many emails we send to the BBFC about this silly cut to Inferno the better?

I thought nitwit was quite charitable after being called braindead
Old 30th May 2010, 11:44 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
i see it differently, my point is its ridiculous excluding the new special edition in favour of an inferior, albeit uncut version. its not simply a case of cut vs uncut, its a case of ignoring an inconsquential cut in order to have a fantastic new special edition of an amazing movie, while also supporting the uk market. for me it will be well worth owning
I prefer not to buy any title twice if I can help it.
Regardless of the cut being only 5 seconds I know I will buy an uncut release when it appears.

That's why I will likely wait for a bit to see if an uncut version appears or gets announced somewhere else.

If it doesn't then I will get the Arrow one but as I will likely only keep it for the extra features I prefer not to pay the full price for it.

I've not seen the list of extras yet so I don't know whether it will be irresistable from day one.

Inferno in HD will be a delight so how long I could hold off I don't know.

As I said earlier - this is just one title.
Deep Red not coming out on Bluray so thats off my list anyway.

But with The Beyond and so many more titles in the pipeline I'm sure my collection of Arrow releases is set to increase.

As they seem to be getting old Vipco stuff any chance of the Amicus classic Vault of Horror on Bluray ?
Old 31st May 2010, 02:03 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Island of death was cut to pieces last time it was put through.
Uncut today ? Who knows?
Who cares when we already have an uncut dvd anyway.

Not meant to be an argumentative post but just a perspective. Most of us here are old hands at the game but how about the want to attract new people to these movies? People who weren't even close to being born when some of them were made. A percentage of people already having a version doesn't justify not making it available to a new audience. Something like Island Of Death could be marketed on it's notoriety alone and be a stepping stone to other films. That could even be done if it was cut too. The more the merrier. There are far less titles now that would necessitate cuts and I for one would have loved to have saved money on imports over the years. Hopefully new collectors in the UK can be spared some of that.
Old 31st May 2010, 11:43 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Ok let's wait and see what the BBFC say about the cut - I suspect they'll keep it but who knows - we've certainly had anough debate about whether it's worth buying it or not etc so let's bring that to a close please. I think anyone new to the film (and many in the UK haven't seen it as it's not been out since VHS days) might benefit more from member perspectives about what's cool about this incredibly visual horror epic so how about some thoughts on that?

One of my favourite moments is a small one - the camera pushing through the curtains and suddenly we're in that incredible library - some well judged and restrained (unusual in this film) music as well. For me you'd be hard pushed to find such a mood-setting scene in a modern horror film.
Closed Thread  

Like this? Share it using the links below!