Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st May 2010, 11:50 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs View Post
Ok let's wait and see what the BBFC say about the cut - I suspect they'll keep it but who knows - we've certainly had anough debate about whether it's worth buying it or not etc so let's bring that to a close please. I think anyone new to the film (and many in the UK haven't seen it as it's not been out since VHS days) might benefit more from member perspectives about what's cool about this incredibly visual horror epic so how about some thoughts on that?

One of my favourite moments is a small one - the camera pushing through the curtains and suddenly we're in that incredible library - some well judged and restrained (unusual in this film) music as well. For me you'd be hard pushed to find such a mood-setting scene in a modern horror film.
When do you find out the verdict about the cut?

I have yet to see the film so I can't really comment on it. I don't think it could be as bad as Mother of Tears when comparing it to the films in the three mothers trilogy.
Old 31st May 2010, 11:55 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

For me I prefer Imferno to Suspiria...
Old 31st May 2010, 11:57 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
For me I prefer Imferno to Suspiria...
Suspiria took me a few views to start appreciating it. I'll have to check out Inferno. You saying you like it more than Suspiria makes me all the more curious.
Old 31st May 2010, 11:58 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

I wont add to that discussion as I already said what I think but il just say it again

Yes buying a cut movie is not something I like to do, I own the cut AB dvd of Last House and the extras were really good. I then went and bought the uncut 3 disc set when it went cheap.

In terms of double dipping, I try and avoid it as I cant afford to do that much but if the cuts to Inferno are not noticeable then I will go for it as Im sure Arrow will create a awesome package.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 31st May 2010, 12:00 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
I wont add to that discussion as I already said what I think but il just say it again

Yes buying a cut movie is not something I like to do, I own the cut AB dvd of Last House and the extras were really good. I then went and bought the uncut 3 disc set when it went cheap.

In terms of double dipping, I try and avoid it as I cant afford to do that much but if the cuts to Inferno are not noticeable then I will go for it as Im sure Arrow will create a awesome package.
I actually just ordered the 3 disc set of Last House. From the looks of things it's the best edition out, plus I love the cover.
Old 31st May 2010, 12:02 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the blob View Post
Not meant to be an argumentative post but just a perspective. Most of us here are old hands at the game but how about the want to attract new people to these movies? People who weren't even close to being born when some of them were made. A percentage of people already having a version doesn't justify not making it available to a new audience. Something like Island Of Death could be marketed on it's notoriety alone and be a stepping stone to other films. That could even be done if it was cut too. The more the merrier. There are far less titles now that would necessitate cuts and I for one would have loved to have saved money on imports over the years. Hopefully new collectors in the UK can be spared some of that.
I agree that attracting new collectors is a good idea but I think the old Vipco policy of releasing notorious films with the very scenes that made them notorious edited out did their reputation no good and would also have alienated new fans.
It looked like they were just cashing in on unsuspecting buyers
Old 31st May 2010, 12:03 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
I actually just ordered the 3 disc set of Last House. From the looks of things it's the best edition out, plus I love the cover.
Its missing a few of the extras from the original cut DVD I think but dont quote me on that
I kept my cut dvd tho as selling it will be pointless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelings View Post
I agree that attracting new collectors is a good idea but I think the old Vipco policy of releasing notorious films with the very scenes that made them notorious edited out did their reputation no good and would also have alienated new fans.
It looked like they were just cashing in on unsuspecting buyers
Yes thats true but Arrow do try and release everything uncut and its down to the BBFC then not Arrow so Arrow aint "cashing in" at all. They released some amazing packages and even first time in the UK cuts of films like Opera. While I do agree with not buying a cut release, I think when its a 5 sec cut to something that does not spoil the story is ok as long as its done well.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 31st May 2010, 12:05 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Ok let's wait and see what the BBFC say about the cut - I suspect they'll keep it but who knows - we've certainly had anough debate about whether it's worth buying it or not etc so let's bring that to a close please. I think anyone new to the film (and many in the UK haven't seen it as it's not been out since VHS days) might benefit more from member perspectives about what's cool about this incredibly visual horror epic so how about some thoughts on that?

One of my favourite moments is a small one - the camera pushing through the curtains and suddenly we're in that incredible library - some well judged and restrained (unusual in this film) music as well. For me you'd be hard pushed to find such a mood-setting scene in a modern horror film.
There are so many good moments in Inferno.
The "story" makes Suspiria look logical so best concentrate on the stunning visuals.
The early scene of the girl in the underwater cellar is one of Argentos best ever.

I found Inferno to be genuinely frightening the first time I saw it - you never quite know what is going to be around the next corner.
Suspiria is awesome but I think Inferno has a lot more memorable scenes .
You just have to forget the nonsense story and enjoy the ride

Hope we will be getting a cracking surround track for this one .
Old 31st May 2010, 12:12 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
Its missing a few of the extras from the original cut DVD I think but dont quote me on that
I kept my cut dvd tho as selling it will be pointless.
I think I'll be able to live without a few extras. Going to Pieces is an extra enough.

I hope the transfer for Inferno doesn't let down. From what I've read the US dvd has a rather average presentation and there's a European disc by Fox I think that's meant to have a fantastic transfer that puts the US disc to shame. I'm hoping the Arrow transfer's that good.
Old 31st May 2010, 12:14 PM
Cultist

I think they are both great. Inferno may be a more stable movie-wise. It has a clearer passing than Suspiria. But still Suspiria is just a tad better for me. Both have nonsense plots but the atmosphere and the visuals make up for that.
Closed Thread  

Like this? Share it using the links below!