Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Arrow Archives (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=574)
-   -   Inferno - The BBFC Verdict (carry the chat about the BBFC on here only!) (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/arrow-archives/2941-inferno-bbfc-verdict-carry-chat-about-bbfc-here-only.html)

Calum 4th June 2010 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Tanzi (Post 84032)
And they leave a chicken getting killed in a ritual in Mr.Vampire...

...but we're not allowed to see cockfights!

"Quick, clean kill" vs organised cruelty. To be fair, I'm on the BBFC's side - re: censoring cockfighting. And if it means my Angel Heart UK Blu is shorn of five seconds I don't care: perfectly happy to never see the cockfighting!

Inspector Tanzi 4th June 2010 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calum (Post 84035)
"Quick, clean kill" vs organised cruelty.!

True, but I wonder why their is laws for one creature and no another as is perfectly ok for us to see organised Praying Mantis fights.

Calum 4th June 2010 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Tanzi (Post 84040)
True, but I wonder why their is laws for one creature and no another as is perfectly ok for us to see organised Praying Mantis fights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speciesism

;)

Gojirosan 4th June 2010 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calum (Post 84035)
"Quick, clean kill" vs organised cruelty. To be fair, I'm on the BBFC's side - re: censoring cockfighting. And if it means my Angel Heart UK Blu is shorn of five seconds I don't care: perfectly happy to never see the cockfighting!

Though this doesn't stop the cockfight happening, does it? Merely brushes it under the carpet.

Cruel or not, I think such things should be included. Censoring them creates a false impression. The chickens still went through it, removing your choice over seeing it doesn't change anything.

Calum 4th June 2010 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 84053)
Though this doesn't stop the cockfight happening, does it? Merely brushes it under the carpet.

Cruel or not, I think such things should be included. Censoring them creates a false impression. The chickens still went through it, removing your choice over seeing it doesn't change anything.

Replace "chickens" with "kids" and would you still argue that point?

We all support censorship to some degree.

Gojirosan 4th June 2010 11:20 AM

Replace "chickens" with "car chases"?

You can go on for ever at that game. It's still spurious. The children argument especially. Chldren are protected all around the world. Filming their assault is a crime, everywhere, pretty much. So it wouldn't occur in a legitimate film. The law comes into play long before any censorship board.

Children are not raised in factories for people to eat. If they were it might all look very different. I see no benefit to the "brush under the carpet and pretend it didn't happen" approach to the animal issue. If you don't want to see it, don't buy the film or use your fast-forward button, or pressure for "animal cruelty free" alternative versions if you must.

Calum 4th June 2010 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 84055)
Replace "chickens" with "car chases"?

You can go on for ever at that game. It's still spurious.

Only cars aren't sentient beings and can't have cruelty inflicted on them. :confused:

Either way, my point stands: by removing scenes of animal cruelty it teaches the filmmaker that such practices will not, at least, be tolerated in this country and that they will not be able to profit from them.

And the chickens are "just there to be eaten" argument may be taken to task by some of the vegan and vegetarian members of the forums!

My main feeling that cutting Inferno feels remarkable folly is because cats eat mice on the hour, every hour and - set up or not - I can't justify seeing people feed their pet snakes live rodents whilst the BBFC removes something similar in a movie.

Gojirosan 4th June 2010 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calum (Post 84057)
Only cars aren't sentient beings and can't have cruelty inflicted on them. :confused:

No, but their reckless use causes far more damage to animals and children than any kind of hideous fighting sport.

Oh, and I have long been involved in animal welfare and have been a vegetarian for over 30 years. I find the cutting of old films so people can pretend such things don't happen as offensive as the act itself. If it happened, nothing can be done about it now. Seeing it shows up how hideous such things are, hiding it through censorship just paints a false pretty picture.

Calum 4th June 2010 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 84058)
No, but their reckless use causes far more damage to animals and children than any kind of hideous fighting sport.

But not in a fictional film!

The point is that inflicting brutality - or death - on a sentient being (animal or human) should be of obvious concern. Whilst I disagree with the cut to Inferno, I am glad the BBFC removes sequences of suffering inflicted upon helpless animals (note, however, they do not remove scenes filmed for a documentary so, if you wanted to do a piece on chickens in a battery farm, I imagine you'd be okay).

(I'm not a vegetarian actually: Ironically, given this discussion, I still eat chicken. ;) And I don't subscribe to animal rights - animal welfare, yes. So I'm not arguing my own intrinsic thoughts here, I'm merely pointing out why I think some degree of "protection" is needed).

This is an interesting dicussion, by the way, but I guess maybe we should get back to Inferno?

Gojirosan 4th June 2010 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calum (Post 84059)
But not in a fictional film!

The point is that inflicting brutality - or death - on a sentient being (animal or human) should be of obvious concern.

But surely, what's done is done, so the only concern can be one of imitation - hence my car chase point. I fail to see any benefit from removing such scenes - it's merely to cosset people (who shouldn't be cossetted) - it doesn't stop the cruelty from happening, but creates a false impression of a cruelty-free film industry.

More people would be concerned about animal welfare in cinema if they saw what has gone on in the past. If you hide it, who's to know what monstrosities can go on?


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright © 2014 Cult Laboratories Ltd. All rights reserved.