Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd June 2010, 04:12 PM
Cultist

so now it seems almost certain this release will be mouseless.

oh well
Old 2nd June 2010, 04:19 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I do wonder how many viewers would find the scene offensive. To be honest I am a very open minded viewer (or I wouldn't subscribe to this forum!) but I find films like Martyrs and Eden Lake offensive. They are FAR to true to life to be entertaining in my view. Horrid!
Old 2nd June 2010, 04:22 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

.... Anyway

Let's get back to praising the film.

I love the scene in the apartment when Giuseppe Verdi's Nabucco is playing on the stereo and the power keeps going on and off. I think this, and the bullet through the eye scene in Opera and Argento's 2 most powerful scenes!

Old 2nd June 2010, 04:49 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelings View Post
Nobody has said it would be missed or that it was crucial - the bottom line is that the film will be a censored version.

As irritating as any cuts are I think the lack of an Inferno release elsewhere coupled with the package being put together aswell as simply seeing the film in HD may well be hard to resist come the day of release.

Like we have often done before , we make do with the best on offer at the time and while the extras for this release may mean the disc remains forever in my collection I have no doubt that I will buy an uncut version of the film when or if it appears - 5 seconds or not
Yeah I dont like cut movies either so if I have the money to double dip Inferno in the future then I will if I enjoy it enough.

A cut for I split on your grave for example would be harder to dis-miss as the rape scenes are the main part of the story.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 2nd June 2010, 05:03 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

I got the same reply word from word.
Old 2nd June 2010, 05:14 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Me too.
Old 2nd June 2010, 07:12 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philleh View Post
Exact same response for me too!
Same here - word-for word. Cut and paste job, it seems

Okay...so it's really down now as to whether Arrow has any pertinent information regarding the scene. Other than that, this cut is probably still going to stand, unfortunately. But let's wait and see what they say after a second evaluation of the work. I'm glad they've clarified the point about seeking advice from the Home Office, which clears that grey area up. I can perfectly understand and accept this (and Vince already stated this, I might add).

It's tricky, because I'm not sure how the BBFC can pass this scene whilst still demanding similar cuts elsewhere.

Oh well, cut or not, let's focus on what we do have (even though a cut would still irk me somewhat) - and that's an HD presentation of Inferno packed with extras.
Old 2nd June 2010, 07:13 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Tanzi View Post
I got a reply from the BBFC just now:

Dear Aarron

Thank you for your email and interesting comments.

I should point out that no decision has been made about INFERNO. We have not classified this work, and it would not be appropriate to comment on a title under consideration.

As you know, the BBFC has a statutory obligation under the Cinematograph Films (Animals) Act 1937 to ensure that no scene "was organised or directed in such a way as to involve the cruel infliction of pain or terror on any animal or the cruel goading of any animal to fury" in regards to works intended for cinema release in the UK. The same consideration is also given to works released on video and DVD. This approach was endorsed by the Home Office at the time of the designation of the Video Recording Act 1984 and subsequently supported by legal opinion.

The BBFC takes its legal obligations very seriously. If our examiners have any doubts or concerns over the treatment of animals in the works they view, assurances of well-being are sought from the distributors and / or film-makers. Expert veterinary advice has also been taken on a number of occasions to determine whether cruelty towards animals has been involved during the making of a film. Cuts will be made to films or DVDs where there is clear evidence of on-screen cruelty, or the makers are unable to provide convincing assurances.

While a cat eating a mice is a natural, real-life occurrence, if such an incident has been "organised or directed" specifically for the purposes of being filmed - rather than captured on film while occurring naturally as in a wildlife documentary - and involves the cruel infliction of pain, we are legally required by the Act to remove the scene.

I hope this explains the situation for you.

Yours sincerely,

J L Green
Chief Assistant (Policy)
Okay, here's the problem with this response. He only sites the Cinematograph Films (Animals) Act 1937. In that, it says, "the expression " animal " has the same meaning as in the Protection of Animals Act, 1911. From that:

Quote:
(a) the expression " animal " means any domestic or captive
animal ;
(b) the expression " domestic animal " means any horse, ass,
mule, bull., sheep, pig, goat, dog, cat, or fowl, or
any other animal of whatsoever kind or species, and
whether a quadruped or not which is tame or which
has been or is being sufficiently tamed to serve some
purpose for the use of man ;
(c) the expression " captive animal " means any animal (not
being a domestic animal) of whatsoever kind or species,
and whether a quadruped or not, including any bird,
fish, or reptile, which is in captivity, or confinement,
or which is maimed, pinioned, or subjected
to any appliance or contrivance for the purpose of
hindering or preventing its escape from captivity or
confinement ;
Elsewhere in the Act it says:

Quote:
8. If any person-

(b) shall knowingly put or place, or cause or procure any
person to put or place, or knowingly be a party to
the ' putting or placing, in or upon any land or
building any poison, or any fluid or edible matter
(not being sown seed or grain) which has been
rendered poisonous,

such person shall, upon summary conviction, be liable to a fine
not exceeding ten pounds :

Provided that, in any proceedings under paragraph (b) of
this section, it shall be a defence that the poison was placed
by the accused for the purpose of destroying rats, mice, or other
small vermin, and that he took all reasonable precautions to
prevent access thereto of dogs, cats, fowls, or other domestic
animals.
That shows a clear distinction between dogs, cats, etc... as domestic animals and rats and mice as vermin which are okay to destroy with poison. Why would you have to protect vermin by cutting it out of a film (even though it's long since met its maker) even though you can kill them in your home according to these documents?
Old 2nd June 2010, 07:13 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

It must be a standardised response as I received exactly the same e-mail from the BBFC today. Still, I've got a letter ready to go to my MP which covers the issues raised in the BBFC's e-mail and it will be interesting to see what comes back from that.
Old 2nd June 2010, 07:27 PM
Ex-member

And so did I.
Closed Thread  

Like this? Share it using the links below!