Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st May 2010, 10:46 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelings View Post
"I also ask what cuts of this nature are done for? What do they achieve?
i doubt that even the bbfc could answer that, their policies are so obscure and ambiguous that they could not give a rational answer, they would probably simply quote some ridiculous government regulation and refuse to comment further, like i have said before, these types of regulations with bbfc the judgment is alway subjective and inconsistent, what passes for one film is cut for the next
Old 1st June 2010, 12:20 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Whilst I applaud how far the BBFC have come, their answers to my queries over the years have always been rather vague and ambiguous. When I asked them recently about their stance on sexual violence, and I Spit On Your Grave in particular, they replied with some garbled nonsense about how it might affect someone...somewhere...but they don't know who or why and have no actual evidence to back up these claims...but it *might* cause harm to some unkown individuals. I asked them to specifically state who was at risk and they couldn't answer me. Can anyone cite an actual case where someone has committed the crime of rape after watching a film like I Spit On Your Grave..? Their rationale on this kind of content is just as ridiculous as Ferman's insistence that The Exorcist wouldn't be passed uncut (or at all) on home video since *some random teenage girl* might watch it on TV in her bedroom and get disturbed by it. What a load of crap.

As for Inferno, I hope the BBFC will see sense. Cutting the scene achieves nothing and, as we've seen already, will cause a number of folks to boycott the release. I'd like to know how the BBFC can justify harming the prospects of UK businesses like this.
Old 1st June 2010, 12:44 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I don´t think the natural order of things in life should be consedered as animal violence.

One thing is to butcher some animal...
Old 1st June 2010, 01:58 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelings View Post
I also ask what cuts of this nature are done for? What do they achieve?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
When I asked them recently about their stance on sexual violence, and I Spit On Your Grave in particular, they replied with some garbled nonsense about how it might affect someone...somewhere...but they don't know who or why and have no actual evidence to back up these claims...but it *might* cause harm to some unkown individuals. I asked them to specifically state who was at risk and they couldn't answer me. Can anyone cite an actual case where someone has committed the crime of rape after watching a film like I Spit On Your Grave..?
See that's the thing, esspecially in terms of I Spit On Your Grave. If anything, people are repulsed by this sort of thing (rape, violence) and it would be highly unlikely that they would then procede to go out and commit such acts. Personally I think it raises awareness that horrible things do happen out there. These films are certainly not promoting these acts.

The fact the the BBFC cannot give a specific reason for such cuts just shows that there is no real need for them.
Old 1st June 2010, 07:21 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Even though I was one of the few who did appeal the cuts too via e-mail, I'd be very surprised if the bbfc reversed their decision to be honest.

Unless it can be proven that the scene in question was a natural act, and not staged for the camera (very unlikely) then my take on it is that the cut will stay, as the bbfc are only following the law in respect of the animal cruelty act (albeit a very ambiguous and sometimes vague law). So... don't hold your breath!

Although, cut or no cut I'll definitely be picking up the Arrow release. As I've mentioned before, while it's disappointing that Inferno didn't make it through 100% uncut, for 5 seconds of cat on mouse action I am not going to boycott what is going to be a phenomenal package. The amount of work and effort that has gone into Arrow's previous releases (the blus in particular) is clear to see, and I'm sure Inferno will be no exception.
Old 1st June 2010, 10:17 AM
Ex-member

So how cut is the Arrow DVD then, as the BBFC site doesn't list the Arrow submission, just the old cuts
Old 1st June 2010, 10:18 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundercrack View Post
So how cut is the Arrow DVD then, as the BBFC site doesn't list the Arrow submission, just the old cuts
I think they're not yet listed as they are currently reviewing the cut.
Old 1st June 2010, 10:47 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundercrack View Post
You're not going to notice the five seconds of the cat eating the mouse - whether they are there or not there. Seriously. Those telling you you really need to see this very brief moment are lying. I used to have the old widescreen VHS and never noticed, when I got Inferno on DVD, that this scene was even back in the movie. It's that brief.
Old 1st June 2010, 10:54 AM
Cultist

I've seen the movie 3 times in the last year and a half and I don't even remember the scene. So I'm sure I'm not going to miss it

Calum, is there any word on when this will get released? is August still standing or will that change? I'm so excited for the release I just can't bare the wait :P
Old 1st June 2010, 01:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nika View Post
I've seen the movie 3 times in the last year and a half and I don't even remember the scene. So I'm sure I'm not going to miss it

Calum, is there any word on when this will get released? is August still standing or will that change? I'm so excited for the release I just can't bare the wait :P
Think so, but one for Almar!
Closed Thread  

Like this? Share it using the links below!