Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Arrow Archives (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=574)
-   -   Inferno - The Music Score - Mad or Genius? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/arrow-archives/2943-inferno-music-score-mad-genius.html)

Almar@Cult Labs 31st May 2010 06:02 PM

Inferno - The Music Score - Mad or Genius?

I love Inferno but I have agonised over the years at the mad music score - it does have some great well-judged moments and others which then seem bombastic and insane. What's your opinion?

Stephen@Cult Labs 31st May 2010 06:21 PM

Unforunately I have no opinion......yet.I'm intrigued now.I suppose,like music in a lot of films,it divides people.I've not disliked music in any Argento film yet,so lets see if this one can be the one first,or if I'll love it as much as the rest.

dan 31st May 2010 06:22 PM

personally i really love the keith emerson score, i wouldnt say i has the same iconic quality of simonetti's susperia score but all the same i feel it workes fantastically well for inferno. it doesnt have the sharp, scary moments of the suspira soundtrack but again inferno has a completely different feel to it anyway, and emersons score compliments it perfectly

User1138 31st May 2010 06:31 PM

For the record, I love the Emerson score for Inferno. It may be at the opposite end of the scale from the Suspiria soundtrack but it still has the power to be simple and effective when you listen to it or watch the movie.

As for some of the more bombastic tracks, I believe it was Argento himself who requested certain pieces of music be utilised in the score and left the arrangements to Emerson. Either way this is an incredibly beautful collection of music and, in my opinion, reaches a height that Emerson never achieved in some of his other filmworks.

dan 31st May 2010 06:45 PM

i agree, dario caught emerson at a time in the 80s when he was extremely createful and this shines through in the great inferno soundtrack, i love simonetti but emerson was perfect for this one

User1138 31st May 2010 06:57 PM

Simonetti's music is genius and he has a larger body of 'experiental' soundrtack work, but Inferno (the film) didn't have that kind of experimental approach to film-making and therefore the soundtrack didn't need to reflect it. I will however say that I still have shivers down my spine at hearing the original vinyl release of this and listening to the track "Rose Gets It" at the end of the first side of the album.

Albeit not Inferno related, it is interesting to also note that although Emerson does get the credit for the soundtrack of the Argento produced movie The Church, he was only responsible for a few pieces of the music

bgart13 1st June 2010 12:26 AM

Definitely prefer SUSPIRIA's Goblin soundtrack. Emerson's sometimes becomes too much and doesn't quite work with the visuals. Some of it's great, but I'm not a fan of keyboards from the 80's. If I'm gonna listen to keyboards from that time, gimme Eno!

springjack 1st June 2010 12:43 AM

Love the score all the way...

Mater Tenebrarum is a classic... A personal track for Halloween Night as a DJ here in Portugal...:clap:

Daemonia 1st June 2010 01:11 AM

I like Emerson's music - the music that plays diring the taxi ride with all the primary colour fountains is particularly striking and a highlight of the film for me. Yes, I prefer this scene to the cat-on-mouse violence. :lol:

The only drawback with Inferno, for me, is that the film is a series of moments and elaborate set pieces rather than a cohesive whole. I still love it though, but it's still a secondary work next to Suspiria IMO. Don't get me wrong, at this stage of his career, even a lesser Argento is better than most directors on their best day.

Philleh 1st June 2010 08:57 AM

I'm split on this, I adore Mater Tenebrarum amongst others; but listening to them on an mp3 player is quiet different from the film. First time watching the film it embarrassed me a little, now it's endearing and I've learnt to get along with it! Ha.

Listening to the music separately is very enjoyable too.

Inspector Tanzi 1st June 2010 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by springjack (Post 83179)
Mater Tenebrarum is a classic

Fantastic!

Nika 2nd June 2010 01:14 PM

I think the score works very well with the movie. It may not be as iconic as the Suspiria score but it's still a rather good one.

Splatterdragon73 4th June 2010 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nika (Post 83545)
I think the score works very well with the movie. It may not be as iconic as the Suspiria score but it's still a rather good one.

I second that.

Haven't heard Inferno's synth score for years but seem to recall enjoying it the last time around.

I would most definitely put Emerson's electronic effort in third place behind the celebrated soundtracks of both Suspiria and Deep Red.:)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 4th June 2010 07:35 PM

Lovely score,up there with Suspiria and Deep Red.:cool:

springjack 5th June 2010 06:05 PM

Quote:

From my private collection, of stuff...(I'm sure a few people here have this one)
I´m sure every Argentophile has one, it´s been easily available in Europe.:cool:

Curious Goods 21st August 2010 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 (Post 84104)
Haven't heard Inferno's synth score for years but seem to recall enjoying it the last time around.

I would most definitely put Emerson's electronic effort in third place behind the celebrated soundtracks of both Suspiria and Deep Red.:)

The Inferno score by Emerson features orchestral parts as well as synthesizer, it's a very diverse score and more traditional than Suspiria. In the case of Suspiria, the musical pieces were recorded by Goblin ahead and were fitted in (Morricone did this as well with a lot of his older scores). With Inferno, Emerson scored the movie scene by scene, resulting in a classical score with some of his trademark hammering.

It's comparable to John Harrison's Day of the Dead score which combined synth with guitar and was scored to fit the scenes, whereas the Goblin music for Dawn of the Dead was inserted alongside the library tracks Romero used.

I own all of the Argento scores and the Inferno one I find myself listening to the most. The mysterious quality of the opening piano theme, the energetic pieces (A Cat attic Attack's finale) and the Omen'esque Mater Tenenbrarum make for a great listen.

I'm curious to experience it in the new soundmix of the upcoming blu-ray. :rockon:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 4th September 2010 05:46 PM

You all in the mood? :woot:

YouTube - INFERNO Dario Argento THEME

YouTube - Inferno - Soundtrack - Part 1

YouTube - Inferno - Soundtrack - Part 2

YouTube - Inferno - Soundtrack - Part 3

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Wilson Bros 16th September 2010 11:53 AM

Emmerson's five-four reworking of one of Verdi's most famous pieces is a work of twisted genuis. ;)

Some of the other stuff in Inferno is a bit too strident or melodramatic.

Kev W

Bringer Of Funerals 29th February 2012 12:59 PM

I don't like the music, i think it takes away from the atmosphere of the film - especially the main theme, its nowhere as good as Susperia or Profondo Rosso

Demoncrat 29th February 2012 01:43 PM

Apart from Mater Tenebraum, it's overblown shite. but then i f:censored:g loathe ELP

ahem.
:laugh:

Scyther 29th February 2012 01:52 PM

I really only dig the end cue of 'Mater Tenebarum.' The rest I feel is typical Emerson throw away: symphonic, sure, but utterly unmemorable. I have the same problems with his contributions to The Church, as well. The only difference is I LOVE Inferno but really didn't dig The Church. I had a really hard time getting past the dubbing and scatterbrained plot.