Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th June 2010, 03:04 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I totally dismiss Mother of Tears as part of the trilogy, so sad to see such a terrible, cheap, flatly directed and unimaginative picture from Dario, him hiring American script writers says so much. (Although maybe it was down to financial reasons?)
Old 21st August 2010, 12:26 PM
Cult Rookie

I had high expectations for "La Terza Madre", not because it was the third part of the trilogy, but because Argento was on such a comeback with his Master of Horror episodes "Jenifer" and "Pelts" (easily amongst the best of the series).

When I saw it, I didn't quite know what to make of it. The movie never quite got off to a good start; I felt the occult elements weren't that strong, the special fx didn't fit in and the supporting cast took up too much time setting up a story which ultimately wasn't that interesting. There is no sense of claustrophobia or bigger powers being at work as there was in Suspiria or Inferno, and the lack of color schemes and trademark Argento shots made me feel that this was a wasted opportunity.

Regarding Suspiria and Inferno... It's very hard to chose between the two, but as Inferno is more of a continuation, Suspiria is still the original stylistic movie and I'd have to go with it over Inferno.
Old 21st August 2010, 09:12 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I much prefer "Inferno" over the other two in the trilogy, with my favourite scene being the taxi ride where it rains colours!

Has any one seen the Three Mothers related stuff on Richard Stanley's (of "Hardware" fame) website:

www.shadowtheatre13.com

Looks interesting to say the least, though to be honest I've only had a quick peak.
Old 21st August 2010, 10:18 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Suspiria is best but Inferno comes close.

I don't consider it a trilogy: Mother of Tears is offensively crap and anyone defending it obviously has a higher capacity for technically bad filmmaking, rotten acting, comparable dialogue and ugly lighting than my humble self... (not to mention a mother with fake boobs and a bunch of emo kids running riot in Rome - provoked by one looking especially solemn in a phone booth?! Utterly, utterly woeful...) I doubt even the Suspiria remake will be a fiasco on MOT levels.
Old 22nd August 2010, 11:56 AM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond72 View Post
I totally dismiss Mother of Tears as part of the trilogy, so sad to see such a terrible, cheap, flatly directed and unimaginative picture from Dario, him hiring American script writers says so much.
+1

I had high expectations for "Mother of Tears", but it never really felt like it was the final part of a trilogy.
Old 22nd August 2010, 01:05 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Suspiria is the best, close runner up would be Inferno.
I was dissappointed with MOT, but it really wasn't that bad, it had some very good death scenes!
Old 22nd August 2010, 01:16 PM
Ex-member
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs View Post
I suspect most people would disagree but I prefer Inferno to Suspiria - at least entertainment-wise but where do you see it fitting within the Three Mothers Trilogy and can it even be called a trilogy?
It should be the three mothers duo!

Like this? Share it using the links below!