All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th July 2010, 10:18 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I've only been to that site once, when someone placed link to it on (I think) the City of the Living Dead thread and the guy (Michael Mackenzie?) seems to know an awful lot about the ins and outs of picture quality and is quite happy to analyse screenshots to death, but not give a lot of credit to the people who spent hours and plenty of money restoring the damn thing in the first place. I haven't been that because I didn't find that site particularly interesting to be honest as he didn't tell you anything about the films or the discs other than the image quality.
Old 5th July 2010, 12:02 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

And even when he did talk about the quality of the films he admitted he hadn't even watched the damn films yet. Sorry, but don't start posting some nonsense when you haven't even watched the BD yet. Watch it first, critique afterwards - that's how it's supposed to be done.

Look, if a BD is really obviously bad, I'm happy for that to be pointed out so I can save my pennies. But, honestly, anyone moaning about the Arrow release of COTLD is, IMO, seeing problems that really aren't there. I've watched it a couple of times now and it looks ace, there is nothing to complain about. The feature presentation is flawless and the extras are a delight to sit through, never a dull moment (hats off to Calum for not only getting good features and putting key personnel before the camera, but he also makes them enjoyable - some extras on some releases are so academically dry I can't sit through them).
Old 5th July 2010, 01:34 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
And even when he did talk about the quality of the films he admitted he hadn't even watched the damn films yet. Sorry, but don't start posting some nonsense when you haven't even watched the BD yet. Watch it first, critique afterwards - that's how it's supposed to be done.

Look, if a BD is really obviously bad, I'm happy for that to be pointed out so I can save my pennies. But, honestly, anyone moaning about the Arrow release of COTLD is, IMO, seeing problems that really aren't there. I've watched it a couple of times now and it looks ace, there is nothing to complain about. The feature presentation is flawless and the extras are a delight to sit through, never a dull moment (hats off to Calum for not only getting good features and putting key personnel before the camera, but he also makes them enjoyable - some extras on some releases are so academically dry I can't sit through them).
Thanks for saying this! I'd always wanted to give DVD extra features a bash as you know (Daemonia will remember the days - about eight years ago now - when I was trying to urge the long defunct, and utterly useless, American Program Power brand to let me have a go at The Slayer and Nightmares in a Damaged Brain) and the feedback has been really strong for COTLD.

It's also pleased me to no end because someone, who will remain nameless, once told me "no one wants to see extras that go past 10 minutes."

Yeah, right...

However, the nit-picking over City of the Living Dead is indeed a bit puzzling. Who would ever have thought you'd see this and Inferno getting lavish treatment, by company's investing big bucks into them? I don't mind complaining if there is a good reason but I don't think the loving restoration of City of the Living Dead (either the BU or Arrow version) deserves that at all.
Old 5th July 2010, 04:23 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
It's also pleased me to no end because someone, who will remain nameless, once told me "no one wants to see extras that go past 10 minutes."

Yeah, right...
Still makes me want to hit a wall when I hear that.

Welcome to The Deuce
Old 20th July 2010, 05:00 PM
Seasoned Cultist

As someone who hates censorship in all forms I'd like to say a big THANK YOU to Arrow, Cult Labs and everyone who participated in trying to make that happen. Great work!
Old 23rd June 2011, 01:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

From the BBFC's annual report:

Quote:
A campaign run by a couple of online forums led to the BBFC receiving 12 pleas for the film Inferno, by cult director Dario Argento, not to be cut on the grounds of illegal animal cruelty. When the BBFC determined that the scene in question did not breach the legal tests for animal cruelty and passed it uncut, we received 11 emails thanking us for our decision
Quote:
The Dario Argento film, Inferno, was passed uncut with previous animal cruelty cuts waived. In this case, the DVD submission revealed more clearly that previously cut material had been filmed, for example, using a model rather than a real animal. In another scene we concluded that, while the editing implied animal cruelty, the individual shots revealed no clear cruelty that could justify upholding the previous cuts. An ‘18’ was nevertheless still required

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/download/annua...eport_2010.pdf
Gojirosan likes this.
Old 23rd June 2011, 02:05 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

It's nice to see they recognise correspondence asking for a reappraisal of the certain film and those thanking them for their decision.

It makes it all worthwhile, especially when the decision is the right one!
Old 23rd June 2011, 02:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

It certainly does. They can reject all these new films like HUMAN CENTIPEDE 2 all they want, as long as the older stuff get's passed uncut then I'm happy.
Old 23rd June 2011, 05:25 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I was one of the 11 who thanked them, but I didn't contact them initally to try and get them to reverse their decision. Nice of them to acknowlege how pleased people were with the uncut status of Inferno.
Old 24th June 2011, 08:44 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Great stuff!

I am so proud to see that my idea of contacting the BBFC really payed off!
Great film and great release by Arrow!

Like this? Share it using the links below!