Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th June 2010, 08:24 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbarr View Post
Guid on us!!
Brilliant news for all....thanks to Arrow for the appeal...and also us lot for e-mailing the powers that be...Almar & co must be very chuffed (as we should be!)...as for the folks gurning about how many FPS?....what is your problem?...it is UNCUT!!!...who gives a damn about how long it runs on your system?...JEEZ go obsess over a knitting project (which may or may not be 7200RPM)
If we are bothered about 5 seconds of missing footage then doesn't it make sense to also be interested in whether it will be at the correct speed like it can be on Bluray.

You may not be bothered by PAL speedup but some people are so don't assume everyone is as less discerning as you/we are .

Personally it's not something that really bothers me but I thought it worth asking as the running time seemed so short.
Old 9th June 2010, 08:32 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I think perhaps Mbarr was a bit excited at the cuts being waived.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 9th June 2010, 11:22 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Umm...isn't one of the big selling points of blu-ray, internationally, that it is a uniform frame rate? That's what I've been reading over the last year or two. WTF?
Old 9th June 2010, 11:25 PM
Ex-member

When the film was first submitted by Fox in 1980 at 9564 (feet + frames) it was at 24fps because it's film. Every 90 feet equals 1 minute of film so uncut this would be 106.266666666 [9564 ÷ 90]. Then convert the end into seconds:[.266666666 x 60] = 15.9999. So, 106m 16s. As submitted, it was 106m 15s, a difference of 1 second (approx.). All the video releases are 25fps (PAL) and require you to add 4% to get the proper number. Arrow's uncut 102m 16s when 4% is added comes to 106m 17s (rounded). The 4% is approx.

Also, it was reported that Inferno was released in France on 16Apr80 @ 110 min. but there is no other evidence of that. Could be just a misprint of 101.

Edited above to correct my math

Last edited by skyofcrack; 10th June 2010 at 05:02 AM.
Old 9th June 2010, 11:40 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgart13 View Post
Umm...isn't one of the big selling points of blu-ray, internationally, that it is a uniform frame rate? That's what I've been reading over the last year or two. WTF?
The old PAL/NTSC differences are no more but some discs are produced to run at 25fps and most others 24fps.

The old 525/60 and 625/50 can rear its head again when it comes to extras in standard definition.

Some US equipment refuses to play material that is not 60hz so US gear will sometimes play the main movie but not sd extras even if the disc is region free.

Thankfully not a problem with UK gear

Some tv's will not accept a 24p input
Old 10th June 2010, 12:42 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevoj View Post
Don't worry about it Zombie Dude.These things happen.I've merged the posts into the Inferno BBFC thread.All is right with the world again.
Thanks. Can't believe I missed the official announcement though.
Old 10th June 2010, 12:52 AM
Active Cultist

Maybe the discrepancy with the running time is a PAL source could have been submitted to the BBFC for them to rate. Thus HD running time will be the full running time with no speedup.
Old 10th June 2010, 05:01 AM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brain dead View Post
Maybe the discrepancy with the running time is a PAL source could have been submitted to the BBFC for them to rate. Thus HD running time will be the full running time with no speedup.
It looks like when works are submitted to the BBFC they are sent in via PAL DVD or video where the 4% discrepancy would still be there. The Blu-Ray discs do not have it. Their times are identical to their NTSC counterpart.

Arrow still lists PAL and Region 0 on their packaging even though it should say A-B-C.
Old 10th June 2010, 07:04 AM
Twilight Zone Co-ordinator

Excellent news. I was going to pre-order it anyway, but now I'll pre order it even harder!
Old 10th June 2010, 04:20 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Thought it was terrific news when I read the email newsletter earlier!

Now I am looking for the best pre-order price .... £14.99 BD from HMV at the moment .. if anyone finds a better price .. please post!!

Well done Almar

Like this? Share it using the links below!