Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives

Like Tree2641Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th July 2011, 06:31 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Excellent design, Dissolvedpaul. You've made me aware of a film I haven't seen, so I'll add it to my Lovefilm rental queue and, if it's good, hope for a quality release in the future.
Thanks very much. 'Intruder' has to be one of my favourite late 80's slasher films and definitely one of the best (and goriest). By 89, the sub genre was burning out quickly IMO so this came as a breath of nasty fresh air. If you're a fan of the slasher genre and haven't yet seen this, then I'd recommend it. Even more so if you enjoy the connections between Speigel, the Raimi Brothers and Campbell. Performances are pretty good all round, it's got some nice black humour and a definite flair with some inventive photography and directing. You can tell these guys came from an "Evil dead" /Super 8 background. And if you want gore, then it delivers in scores.
Old 27th July 2011, 06:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default we all go a little mad sometimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post

Greetings!
think this is your best yet , an air of neon and sleaze about it.
Old 27th July 2011, 07:00 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default a brucie bonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissolvedpaul View Post
Thanks very much. 'Intruder' has to be one of my favourite late 80's slasher films and definitely one of the best (and goriest). By 89, the sub genre was burning out quickly IMO so this came as a breath of nasty fresh air. If you're a fan of the slasher genre and haven't yet seen this, then I'd recommend it. Even more so if you enjoy the connections between Speigel, the Raimi Brothers and Campbell. Performances are pretty good all round, it's got some nice black humour and a definite flair with some inventive photography and directing. You can tell these guys came from an "Evil dead" /Super 8 background. And if you want gore, then it delivers in scores.
nice cover , still rather shamefully havent watched this, got in oldschool vhs lately
Old 27th July 2011, 07:04 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Intruder is now at the top of my Lovefilm queue, so I should hopefully get to see it this week and can then decide whether to add it to my collection.
Old 27th July 2011, 07:31 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Intruder is now at the top of my Lovefilm queue, so I should hopefully get to see it this week and can then decide whether to add it to my collection.
I'd say it's good that the first time you get to see it, you'll be seeing it fully uncut! We didn't have that privilege the first time it came out on Colourbox video thanks to the BBFC, they cut it to ribbons, as did the MPAA for its R Rating in the US and of course, Paramount wouldn't distribute an unrated version of the film. Gorezone magazine at the time did a great feature on how badly the film had been censored and printed a ton of teasing uncut photos of a film no one could see uncut. First time I saw the full version was an uncut Timecode VHS on Colourbox I picked up in 1990 and it was a revelation! It wasn't until the DVD came out that it was finally released uncut officially.
With things being more relaxed these days and over the top gore being second nature in so many current horror films, Intruder might not seem that crazy but for its time, it was definitely extreme. KNB efx go all out in this one which was also their first official credit as an FX outfit incidentally.
Old 28th July 2011, 11:13 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissolvedpaul View Post
I'd say it's good that the first time you get to see it, you'll be seeing it fully uncut! We didn't have that privilege the first time it came out on Colourbox video thanks to the BBFC.
That's not stictly true, as Clourbox mistakenly released the uncut version before replacing it with the cut one. I still have a copy of this up in my parent's loft somewhere. I managed to get it in the late '80s when a local papershop was selling off their video stock. It cost me the princely sum of £5!
Old 28th July 2011, 11:25 AM
Cultist in Training

Yeah, I know the version you're referring to (without the sticker that says "new version" on it,) It's longer but still not fully uncut because Colourbox had actually made some cuts themselves before submitting it to the BBFC. Once they did this, the BBFC requested further cuts and that's the version that was released with the "new version" sticker. The only fully uncut versions Colourbox released were the timecoded version I was talking about that they offered to UK distributors before they got it BBFC certified and a version they released in Ireland with a notice stating that it was illegal to sell it in the rest of the UK.
Old 28th July 2011, 11:27 AM
Cult Addict

Ah, I see. I have never had the dvd to compare it to. I will have to get it now to see what exactly I have been missing. Cheers bud!
Old 28th July 2011, 11:38 AM
Cultist in Training

Np. The uncut one is Gruesome!
I think the rumour that the original colourbox release of Intruder was released uncut "by mistake" in the UK is a really long running one in the community because it's certainly not the first time I've heard it being said over the years. It's more than likely the rumour may have started in a fanzine or Magazine at the time and people made the assumption that "new version" must have meant the withdrawn one had no cuts which wasn't the case. Not something we have to worry about now thankfully, I can't wait for the Synapse release! Sam and Ted Raimi are very funny in the film, playing complete stooges, you can tell they had a blast making it. : )
Old 28th July 2011, 11:41 AM
Cult Addict

I remember reading about the 'uncut' version in the early days of The Dark Side mag.

Like this? Share it using the links below!