Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st September 2010, 10:13 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by springjack View Post
Looks like Target: Renegade.
I'm not 100% certain but i think it should be the other way around as i believe the above computer game design is based on an actual photo of Joe Lewis in jump kicking flight. Arrow's DVD cover is a more accurate representation of said still image and the T:R illustration simply tweaked a few things here and there.

Still, superb artwork whichever way you look at it and if i'm not mistaken the computer game cover came courtesy of the great Mick Austin.
Old 1st September 2010, 07:12 PM
Blogs Moderator

A little more Joe Lewis info on the CULT LABS BLOG
Old 1st September 2010, 07:39 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:

LOL... Looks like Target: Renegade
LOL... LOL... LOL...
Even the wrinkles on the trousers are the same as in the cover of the game....

Last edited by springjack; 2nd September 2010 at 05:54 AM.
Old 2nd September 2010, 02:17 AM
Cultist in Training

Default JAGUAR LIVES in full screen?

The OAR of this film is 1.85:1 . Too bad if the dvd is in full screen or even non-anamorphic widescreen

I've only watched the trailer at the cinema back then. This film is in the same vein as FORCE FIVE (1981), KILL OR BE KILLED (James Ryan, 1980) and KILL AND KILL AGAIN (1981).
Old 2nd September 2010, 06:02 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
LOL... LOL... LOL...
Even the wrinkles on the trousers are the same as in the cover of the game....
Everything on both covers regarding the kicking guy is identical...
I zoomed both images and the hair, the face, the muscles, the wrinkles is identical in both pictures. They have changed some colors and the clothes.

Talking about copyright... talking about ideas... talking about photoshop.

The cover is quite cool and in the vein of the 80s vhs art but at least all the covers from the other Arrow titles were original.
Old 2nd September 2010, 06:53 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Here's the original pic..

Old 2nd September 2010, 09:39 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

It's astonishing how well the artwork has actually captured the detail of the original still image. Pretty much perfect imo.
Old 3rd September 2010, 10:21 AM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Everything on both covers regarding the kicking guy is identical...
I zoomed both images and the hair, the face, the muscles, the wrinkles is identical in both pictures. They have changed some colors and the clothes.

Talking about copyright... talking about ideas... talking about photoshop.

The cover is quite cool and in the vein of the 80s vhs art but at least all the covers from the other Arrow titles were original.
Everyones a critic hey! so thought i should pop in and say a bit about my stuff....

Its my style really, I'm a graphic artist and like allot of the old poster art of the 60's/70's i work with photos (also like Stephen Romanos more recent work in his book shock festival, check it out brilliant book if you can find it and like retro video art!), i myself really love that style of trashy video film poster art i collect old precert Videos mainly for the packaging... its what first got me into graphic design, So after years in working various design agencies i started going back to the thing i loved exploring design as pop art almost combining photography, illustration and graphics. Now from that i ive started doing what i have a passion for at last!!. I'm not a fantasy artist like Rick Melton, Love his paintings but I'm a different side of the coin really and aiming for a different vibe. So hope you can dig it too !!!

Also hopefully its the start of a trend, would be great seeing more and more illustration coming back to film, avoiding travesties like the new Minority Report bluRay DVD cover (google it... VERY bizarre cover of... well i guess its Tom Cruise's face!!) i personally blame marketing! (no offence to any marketing dudes out there!!) I've worked in film and games industries and allot of the problems you run into these days with cover art is its worked around what a marketing person feels with no design background rather than designs or illustrators. I guess budgets get bigger and people get scared to step outside the box. Its been great Working with Arrow Video, very refreshing! its nice to meet people who do actually 'get it' and have more of a passion for the product than the usual sterile marketing check list.... Rant over!!!

But this is my first cover I've done for Arrow (there's a second one in the wings!!) and all in all the feed backs been great from you guys!! so thanks for that and really nice to hear! and if you like my stuff do check out my blog and leave a comment if you fancy it.

So Cheers for now...

T.
Old 3rd September 2010, 10:29 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudedesigns View Post
Everyones a critic hey! so thought i should pop in and say a bit about my stuff....

Its my style really, I'm a graphic artist and like allot of the old poster art of the 60's/70's i work with photos (also like Stephen Romanos more recent work in his book shock festival, check it out brilliant book if you can find it and like retro video art!), i myself really love that style of trashy video film poster art i collect old precert Videos mainly for the packaging... its what first got me into graphic design, So after years in working various design agencies i started going back to the thing i loved exploring design as pop art almost combining photography, illustration and graphics. Now from that i ive started doing what i have a passion for at last!!. I'm not a fantasy artist like Rick Melton, Love his paintings but I'm a different side of the coin really and aiming for a different vibe. So hope you can dig it too !!!

Also hopefully its the start of a trend, would be great seeing more and more illustration coming back to film, avoiding travesties like the new Minority Report bluRay DVD cover (google it... VERY bizarre cover of... well i guess its Tom Cruise's face!!) i personally blame marketing! (no offence to any marketing dudes out there!!) I've worked in film and games industries and allot of the problems you run into these days with cover art is its worked around what a marketing person feels with no design background rather than designs or illustrators. I guess budgets get bigger and people get scared to step outside the box. Its been great Working with Arrow Video, very refreshing! its nice to meet people who do actually 'get it' and have more of a passion for the product than the usual sterile marketing check list.... Rant over!!!

But this is my first cover I've done for Arrow (there's a second one in the wings!!) and all in all the feed backs been great from you guys!! so thanks for that and really nice to hear! and if you like my stuff do check out my blog and leave a comment if you fancy it.

So Cheers for now...

T.
Great to get your involvement on here - I think we can all agree that the 'art' of great covers has been sucked out of the market by marketing and the demands of supermarkets - I think we all crave the fun of great sleeves back again even if we don't always agree as fans on what they should be - I think we all agree that passion and a love to make something look cool is vital.

I went to see Back to the Future on the big screen last night and in the lobby they had big BTTF standees and I was just staring and staring at how vibrant and wonderful and cool that artwork was - it radiates excitement!
Old 3rd September 2010, 10:39 AM
Cult Rookie

Yeah they have just made a new documentray on Drew Struzan who did Back to the Future, starwars, Indian Jones... you name it really! he did most of the artwork for the 80's movies! 'Drew: The Man Behind the Poster'

Also like i said do look up stephen romano's Shock Festival book (theres also a DVD)... and my personal bible is Shock Horror! - Astounding Artwork from the Video Nasty Era!

Like this? Share it using the links below!