Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th December 2010, 07:26 PM
Blogs Moderator

Default Battle Royale Director Kinji Fukasaku

I posted a blog this week about Battle Royale director Kinji Fukasaku.

It's nothing to indepth, just a short introduction to a filmmaker I've admired for years, in particular for his Yakuza movies and the completely eccentric Black Rose Mansion.

I've included a playlist of trailers in the post and if anyone has any comments on the directors other movies, this is the place for it...

KINJI FUKASAKU BLOG

Old 18th December 2010, 10:16 PM
Cult Rookie

Default Fukasaku is god

I love Fukasaku's Yakuza movies my HVE boxset of the Yakuza Papers is one of my most watched collections I would love to see more of his films get released in this country. Well done for posting this hopefully more people will seek out some of his early work it's well worth it.
Old 19th December 2010, 12:12 PM
Blogs Moderator

*Group Hug*

Thank you for posting. I thought maybe everyone was seeing Fukasaku as a one trick pony. I had the two Eureka DVD box sets that gathered up six of his Yakuza movies and I watched them repeatedly.

The Tartan Fukasaku collection is worth hunting down for Black Rose Mansion alone.
Old 19th December 2010, 04:20 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam@Cult Labs View Post
*Group Hug*

Thank you for posting. I thought maybe everyone was seeing Fukasaku as a one trick pony. I had the two Eureka DVD box sets that gathered up six of his Yakuza movies and I watched them repeatedly.

The Tartan Fukasaku collection is worth hunting down for Black Rose Mansion alone.
'One trick pony' lol ! I was at the Fukasaku festival at the ICA to coincide with the original UK cinema release of 'Battle Royale', they showed ;
-'Battles Without Honor and Humanity' [title on the print, 'The Tarnished Code of the Yakuza']
-'Graveyard of Honor' [MUCH better than the Miike remake]
-'Under the Flag of the Rising Sun' [one of the finest anti war movies ever made, i was very surprised to learn this is not available in Japan on DVD it only came out on video long ago, the US DVD is highly recommended]

The ICA showed some other movies which i unfortunately missed, i was very shocked at the low attendance, these are incredible films, i have over 30 in my personal collection and though i admire it, i actually think 'Battle Royale' is a minor entry in an incredible body of work.
Now if Arrow can release the elusive 'Black Lizard' [only released on video and possibly laserdisc previously in Japan ?????] i would be a very happy bunny !

I lived in Japan for 3 years and i have quite a few original Japanese Kinji Fukasaku posters including all five 'Batles Without Honor and Humanity' films, 'Black Lizard','Graveyard of Honor','Sympathy For The Underdog','Shogun's Samurai','Fall of AKO Castle', 2 posters for 'Under the Flag of the Rising Sun' [B2 and two panel Tatekan],'If You're Young;Rage','Cops Vs Thugs','Street Mobster' ,amongst many others, when i get time i'll post some photos.
Old 19th December 2010, 04:56 PM
Blogs Moderator

Looking forward to seeing those posters.

I love Battle Royale but I think it's correct to say that it's a Brilliantly conceived popcorn movie, the charming teen romance photo story style conversations between the kids, in which it's all unrequited crushes and distant admiration, and which offer a surreal counterpoint to all the mayhem, makes sure of that.

He's one of my favourite film makers and when his best known work is in the public eye again, it's time to spread the word about his whole career I think.

Like this? Share it using the links below!