Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th October 2010, 04:43 PM
Cultist

what's that supposed to mean?

It has more texture and depth ergo it is better
Old 13th October 2010, 05:14 PM
Cultist

Well thats your opinion..my opinion is that the complete package you get from Arrow beats everything! I like the smoother picture better and all the extras you get on Arrows BD´s is unbeatable!
Old 13th October 2010, 06:13 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinncent View Post
I might LOOK better..that doesn´t mean it IS better!;-)
A bizarre comment and one which does nothing to counter the somewhat fanboi reputation these forums have.

It's fair to say we shouldn't draw any conclusions until we've seen the finished product but I'd say from what I've seen thus far, the Camera Obscura looks far more real and film like.
Old 13th October 2010, 06:27 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by norliss View Post
A bizarre comment and one which does nothing to counter the somewhat fanboi reputation these forums have.

It's fair to say we shouldn't draw any conclusions until we've seen the finished product but I'd say from what I've seen thus far, the Camera Obscura looks far more real and film like.
Do things need countering? I don't see this comment as relevant.

I have no objection to people discussing other label releases on here but start another thread for it - this thread is specifically about the Arrow release.
Old 13th October 2010, 06:32 PM
Cultist

Quote:

Finally someone who understands what I'm saying and what the whole blu-ray thing is actually all about

Like norliss said, the final judgement will have to wait until you can actually see it in motion, but anyone with some experience of looking at and interpreting screencaps can form a pretty good mental picture of what it will look like in motion. And the addition of grain (which is quite simply an essential ingredient of celluloid film) will probably make all the difference in the world, especially when seen in motion. Obviously, in the end everyone will have his own opinion, but when you see blu-ray as the most representative medium of celluloid film, grain is simply necessary and that has little to do with your own opinion I'm afraid. It's one thing to like a 'smoother' picture better than a more grainy one, but that smoothness is in fact a travesty of what actual film looks like. Which is of course exactly what the Arrow BD of Inferno is, a travesty.
Old 13th October 2010, 06:40 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs View Post
Do things need countering? I don't see this comment as relevant.

I have no objection to people discussing other label releases on here but start another thread for it - this thread is specifically about the Arrow release.
My comment was just as relevant as some of the other comments here, frankly. Or perhaps was it not relevant because I suggested the Camera Obscura version looked better?

As for starting another thread: perhaps we will when alternative versions surface. That said, any opinions that fly in the face of Arrow's product being anything less than top notch are likely to shouted down, I fear.
Old 13th October 2010, 06:43 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
My comment was just as relevant as some of the other comments here, frankly. Or perhaps was it not relevant because I suggested the Camera Obscura version looked better?

As for starting another thread: perhaps we will when alternative versions surface. That said, any opinions that fly in the face of Arrow's product being anything less than top notch are likely to shouted down, I fear.
It's not a relevant comment about the release and if I say you are free to start a thread on here to talk about a competing release on here how is that shouting you down? I'd say that's very accomodating.
Old 13th October 2010, 06:46 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinncent View Post
Well thats your opinion..my opinion is that the complete package you get from Arrow beats everything! I like the smoother picture better and all the extras you get on Arrows BD´s is unbeatable!
You like a smoother picture? With respect, you're buying the wrong films on the wrong format.

I think the effort Arrow shows with extras is very commendable alas for me, the primary reason I purchase a DVD/BD is for the actual film. Personally I'd rather a superior presentation of the film and fewer extras than the other way around.
Old 13th October 2010, 06:46 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Honestly, looking at that screenshot comparison, I'm seeing no real difference in the grain structure, especially in the high frequencies, or increase in detail. Mostly what I think I'm seeing is a bit of contrast boosting or brightening that's giving more of a perceived increase than it actually is.
Old 13th October 2010, 07:18 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Well, I did not buy Inferno on Blu - I bought it on dvd, and let's just say I was very happy with what I saw. It was a superb package and I must give props to Arrow on this - I love the care they took with this and I look forward to buying future releases.

I could have bought it on Blu - I might still do so one day, but as it was a film I expect to watch many times over I thought the dvd was more sensible as I can watch it pretty much anywhere, but with blu you have to watch it on a special set-up and I cannot watch as often.

Nika, your vitriol towards Arrow's presentation inspired me to register and post. I've seen the Arrow blu screencaps and the competitor's - judging by those, one cannot credibly call Arrow's transfer a "travesty" as you have. Most critics actually disagree with you, and before you argue that I have not seen the Arrow blu, I would also argue that you have not seen the Camera Obscura blu either. You've made your point that you don't like the Arrow blu - there's no need to keep bashing people over the head with it and you've gone well beyond constructive criticism. If all blu is going to do is attract arguments between the grain perfectionistas vs the DNR defenders, then it makes you wonder why blu even exists as a format if people cannot appreciate it; at least with SD, we did not have these arguments.

I also have to say I don't admire CO's tactics -it's bad enough that they take an elitist approach to selling their product by using select outlets, but to then brag that their release is better - well, it lacks class. You would not catch Arrow doing that to Blue Underground or vice versa, nor would you see other labels like Criterion doing that to MoC or BFI. To me, it does not matter who has the better sound or image - I go with the labels I trust because I don't want to shell out my hard earned dosh on labels I dont.

I buy Arrow because they care about their product and they have integrity.
Closed Thread  

Like this? Share it using the links below!