Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th October 2010, 04:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Well whatever, Arrow's version is nowhere near as bad as you're making it out to be.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 14th October 2010, 04:30 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Well whatever, Arrow's version is nowhere near as bad as you're making it out to be.
Well that's your opinion. It seems my standards of quality are somewhat higher than most people here, so for me the Arrow disc was just really bad. It was actually the first BD I saw where the presentation really spoiled the whole viewing experience for me, especially, because you always could see in your head how it all could be improved - with the addition of grain. And now CO seem to have done exactly that, and the differences are there for all to see.
Old 14th October 2010, 04:32 PM
Cultist

[QUOTE=Nika;108011] but that doesn't mean it could look even better, much better in the case of 'Inferno' - the CO cap gives a very hopeful indication of improvement. [QUOTE]

Everything can always look better...Were you toughts really that this was going to be the best BD ever put on the market? The reviews i read and the screenshots i have seen makes this a must buy! On my 120" screen i am sure it will look great.....but not flawless because that does not exist!
What will you complaine about when you buy the CO version? Extras?,sound? Packaging? What cover they choose?

Remember nothing is FLAWLESS!
Old 14th October 2010, 04:35 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nika View Post
. It was actually the first BD I saw where the presentation really spoiled the whole viewing experience for me, especially, because you always could see in your head how it all could be improved
OMG...end of discussion!
Old 14th October 2010, 04:36 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
That is true.

However, it (the PQ) is also not as good as some posts infer it to be.
Old 14th October 2010, 04:36 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinncent View Post
OMG...end of discussion!
Are you for real?
Old 14th October 2010, 05:33 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nika View Post
It was actually the first BD I saw where the presentation really spoiled the whole viewing experience for me.
You've obviously not seen The Predator Ultimate Hunter Edition or Patton on BD. Now those are really bad BD presentations. Personally I thought the Arrow Inferno Bd looked fantastic, but as a certain cooler named Dalton once said, opinions vary.
Old 14th October 2010, 06:23 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
You've obviously not seen The Predator Ultimate Hunter Edition or Patton on BD. Now those are really bad BD presentations. Personally I thought the Arrow Inferno Bd looked fantastic, but as a certain cooler named Dalton once said, opinions vary.
I saw screenshots of that BD and it really looks horrendous. But of all the BDs I own Inferno really is the worst one.
Old 14th October 2010, 06:51 PM
Ex-member

CO is brighter, sharper and not zoomed in this image.

Old 14th October 2010, 07:31 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Ok Nika - you hate it. But what do you hope to accomplish from emphasizing this?

As Stephen rightly quoted Dalton "Opinions vary". We will have to agree to disagree. But it seems you will not be happy until you get everyone to agree that grain = film, DNR stinks, and Arrow's Inferno was a bad job. This is not about persuasion for you; it is complete and utter domination.

Sorry, it's not going to happen - as I've written previously, most critics were very happy with this transfer as were many posters on the board.

You may be a grain purist but I'm sorry the grain = film argument has not been won, not by a long shot. Quite simply, some people do not like grain even if it is authentic and presents the film in the form that it was supposed to be seen - they may not care if the film looks waxy, but to them it looks good. Look at some of the comments of Predator Ultimate on Amazon. For the reverse, some people hated the grain on the Ghostbusters blu. With such a division of views, DVD and Blu companies will have one heck of a time trying to please both sides.

And let me just say something about putting a version of a film out in the best form possible. The simple truth is this: Arrow went first with Inferno - it went first and most people were pretty pleased with the result. Let's even give it props that it was the first company in the UK to ever even release it on dvd!

Naturally, rival companies will then have the advantage as they will try to find ways of bettering the release, thereby raising the bar. CO will naturally try to better Arrow's release, and in turn BU will have its turn and try to better both releases. Most companies will always want to better the version out there - it's a fact of life.

And it's not exactly gone unnoticed that CO originally promised a September release which is now being pushed back even further. They no doubt waited for a frame of reference - the Arrow release - to work with and to look for things they could do better. At this point, I would not even be surprised if they pushed it back further to wait and see what the BU looks like.

However, what I can guarantee is that when BU makes its push, you will not see it bragging on forums or websites how better its release is, like CO is doing over Arrow. It will submit its version let the picture stand and then let the supporters and detractors fight it out. Both Arrow and BU released COTLD at around the same time - you did not see them pull these tactics on each other.

Another example is the recent version of Hausu - MoC released a dvd version earlier this year and Criterion is just releasing the Blu. If you look at dvdbeaver caps, the blu blows the dvd out of the water. But nevertheless, there is no sign of triumphalism on Criterion's part and many people who bought the dvd will either keep it and double dip, or upgrade. They enjoyed the dvd release for the time, then something better came along. You do not hear the sort of criticism from them that you are applying here.

And Nika, let me ask you one last question. Inferno is a masterpiece and Arrow has the privilege of releasing it - it is available in many stores and on many online outlets - which many people can enjoy. We can both agree to disagree about the PQ, but it is there on blu and dvd and that alone is a cause of celebration.

But please tell me - even if CO's Inferno turns out to have better PQ, what is the point if most people will not be able to see it? CO is pretty much an exclusive afficionado distributor from its current track record - it does not seem to sell in stores and seems to sell on only 4 or 5 online outlets - none of them big like Amazon de. It will not have mainstream appeal and only those in the know will know how to track it down. A case of elitism, at its worst.

As well as care and trying to gauge its cosumers, at least Arrow allows easy access to its products.
Prince_Vajda likes this.
Closed Thread  

Like this? Share it using the links below!