Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Arrow Archives (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=574)
-   -   Solution to cut in Deep Red (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/arrow-archives/3620-solution-cut-deep-red.html)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 23rd September 2010 07:34 AM

Under the Cinematograph (Animals) Act (1937), there is a difference between footage of a cat eating a mouse which is not staged and someone filming a lizard which is wriggling in pain because someone stuck a pin through it's back. The basic difference is that one was footage of something that was happening normally and the other had been staged for the cameras.

Zombie Dude 23rd September 2010 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu (Post 104228)
Under the Cinematograph (Animals) Act (1937), there is a difference between footage of a cat eating a mouse which is not staged and someone filming a lizard which is wriggling in pain because someone stuck a pin through it's back. The basic difference is that one was footage of something that was happening normally and the other had been staged for the cameras.

But it was just a skink. I don't see what the big deal is.

Philleh 23rd September 2010 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longtom (Post 103928)
How come there is no option that says : "Buy the US dvd instead."

Everytime I go to HMV and ask for a US Import they tell me to f*ck off! :pout:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 23rd September 2010 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie Dude (Post 104233)
But it was just a skink. I don't see what the big deal is.

It is still a vertebrate that was treated cruelly in order for the film to be made so the BBFC have to legally remove or alter it in such a way that it doesn't appear as if the animal is suffering. If it were a snake, worm or octopus, then there would be no such problem as the act doesn't cover invertebrates.

killernun41 23rd September 2010 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu (Post 104243)
If it were a snake, worm or octopus, then there would be no such problem as the act doesn't cover invertebrates.

Snake killings are still cut from Killer Of Snake, Fox Of Shaolin (a similar shot to Profondo Rosso), 99 Women, and Kirk Douglas's A Gunfight. The latter was cut in 2000 but could possibly be waived now.

They were also cut at one point from films such as Bloody Moon and Blood Of Fu Manchu though these have since been restored. Despite this, similar footage was left intact in Friday The 13th, Capricorn One, Westworld and Stanley.

Zombie Dude 23rd September 2010 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu (Post 104243)
It is still a vertebrate that was treated cruelly in order for the film to be made so the BBFC have to legally remove or alter it in such a way that it doesn't appear as if the animal is suffering. If it were a snake, worm or octopus, then there would be no such problem as the act doesn't cover invertebrates.

*sigh* I hate the UK rating system. :(

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 23rd September 2010 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killernun41 (Post 104279)
Snake killings are still cut from Killer Of Snake, Fox Of Shaolin (a similar shot to Profondo Rosso), 99 Women, and Kirk Douglas's A Gunfight. The latter was cut in 2000 but could possibly be waived now.

They were also cut at one point from films such as Bloody Moon and Blood Of Fu Manchu though these have since been restored. Despite this, similar footage was left intact in Friday The 13th, Capricorn One, Westworld and Stanley.

That shows how inconsistent the BBFC can be over one rule which I thought was pretty clear-cut. The BBFC can be brilliant and they can also be extremely infuriating!

Zombie Dude 23rd September 2010 01:37 PM

So there's no chance of getting this cut waved?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 23rd September 2010 01:39 PM

I wouldn't say there is no chance but whatever chancelleries is probably extremely slim and I would be extremely surprised if the BBFC overlooked this.

Zombie Dude 23rd September 2010 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu (Post 104330)
I wouldn't say there is no chance but whatever chancelleries is probably extremely slim and I would be extremely surprised if the BBFC overlooked this.

Do we have any grounds to stand up to them and defend the scene if they do say they want it out?