Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which of these solutions would be the most palatable to you?
Cutting the image of the lizard altogether 12 25.00%
Some digital 'fuzziness' 30 62.50%
A still image for the three seconds 6 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. This poll is closed

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd September 2010, 01:48 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I'm no expert so don't quote me on this but I wouldn't have thought so as lizards are covered by the Cinematograph (Animals) Act and any scene in which they are mistreated by members of the film crew or people acting on behalf of the film crew in order to be filmed is contrary to the act. I know the act only applies to public screenings but the Video Recording Act and advice from the Home Office means that it applies to the home viewing as well.
Old 23rd September 2010, 01:53 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
I'm no expert so don't quote me on this but I wouldn't have thought so as lizards are covered by the Cinematograph (Animals) Act and any scene in which they are mistreated by members of the film crew or people acting on behalf of the film crew in order to be filmed is contrary to the act. I know the act only applies to public screenings but the Video Recording Act and advice from the Home Office means that it applies to the home viewing as well.
I'm not liking our odds here then. Thanks for the information though. Much appreciated.
Old 23rd September 2010, 01:58 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
That shows how inconsistent the BBFC can be over one rule which I thought was pretty clear-cut. The BBFC can be brilliant and they can also be extremely infuriating!
It normally boils down to what they class as a 'quick kill', though I couldn't see any difference between the snake shootings in Westworld (uncut) and A Gunfight (cut). The latter would probably be passed intact if submitted today.

The lizard impaling in Profondo Rosso isn't a quick kill and was obviously staged for the film. The BBFC have no legal grounds for waiving it as, unlike Inferno, the scene simply couldn't have been faked.
Old 23rd September 2010, 02:14 PM
Ex-member

The BBFC Classification Guidelines states:

"For the purposes of this legislation
and The Animal Welfare Act 2006, only
vertebrates which are domesticated
or otherwise under the control of man
are defined as ‘animals’.

Generally, reptiles are not domesticated animals.

Here's a list of domesticated animals:

List of domesticated animals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 23rd September 2010, 02:25 PM
Cultist in Training

I think this has gone way off topic. Isn't the thread about the best way to edit the scene?
Old 23rd September 2010, 02:28 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by killernun41 View Post
I think this has gone way off topic. Isn't the thread about the best way to edit the scene?
It shouldn't be cut. That's ON topic.
Old 23rd September 2010, 02:33 PM
Cultist in Training

Whether it should be cut or not is irrelevant. If you open your eyes wide enough you'll see that the topic is about which of the 3 options is the best way to edit the scene in the film.
Old 23rd September 2010, 02:47 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Will the BBFC ask for it's removal in its entirety or simply tone it down? If it's the latter, then hopefully a quck shot implying that the lizard is being tormented should be good enough.

Let's wait and see what the BBFC say though. If they want cuts, I'm not sure which of the 3 options in this poll would be the best though - that's probably a specific headache for the editors!

Obviously my preference is uncut, as it would be for most of us, but I understand the problems that it creates, seeing as it's a human being cruel to an animal.
Old 23rd September 2010, 02:52 PM
Cultist in Training

They would probably ask that the image is removed completely or 'masked' (pixillated or similar). The cut in the Platinum DVD was made very badly, and the scene cut off very jerkily during the pan-down of the father.
Old 23rd September 2010, 03:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Thought this thread was about the best way to edit the scene.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Closed Thread  

Like this? Share it using the links below!