Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which of these solutions would be the most palatable to you?
Cutting the image of the lizard altogether 12 25.00%
Some digital 'fuzziness' 30 62.50%
A still image for the three seconds 6 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. This poll is closed

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th September 2010, 03:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
I don't know, INFERNO had it's cut waived as a result of people writing to them and asking for a reconsideration. So in that case going to the BBFC did get a result.

the problem here is, that while it could be, and was in fact argued that a cat eating a mouse is actually a natural occurrence, (even though probably staged)

but someone pushing a pin into a lizard is a deliberate act of cruelty inflicted for no reason other than to be included in the film.

sorry guys, but on that basis alone, it should be removed from the film and speaking honestly here, I for one would be disappointed if it wasn't cut.
Old 26th September 2010, 03:16 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam tyler View Post
the problem here is, that while it could be, and was in fact argued that a cat eating a mouse is actually a natural occurrence, (even though probably staged)

but someone pushing a pin into a lizard is a deliberate act of cruelty inflicted for no reason other than to be included in the film.

sorry guys, but on that basis alone, it should be removed from the film and speaking honestly here, I for one would be disappointed if it wasn't cut.

Totally agree with you, which is why I didn't mention anything about DEEP RED in my previous post. I was merely stating that the BBFC aren't unapproachable in certain circumstances.

The act of cruelty in DEEP RED can't be disputed and due to having laws against these things here in the UK (rightly so too imho ) the film must be cut or censored in some way. It doesn't bother me in the slightest that it will be cut, the film will still be the masterpiece it is and I'll be buying it day and date of release.
Old 26th September 2010, 03:33 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam tyler View Post

While the BBFC never gave a reason why they overturned the INFERNO decision, they wrote this:

Quote:
While a cat eating a mice is a natural, real-life occurrence, if such an incident has been "organised or directed" specifically for the purposes of being filmed - rather than captured on film while occurring naturally as in a wildlife documentary - and involves the cruel infliction of pain, we are legally required by the Act to remove the scene.
So, when they overturned it less than a week later it was for another reason. My guess is that it was for the reason I brought up for BOTH films, which is that mice and lizards are not 'domesticated' or 'protected' animals which is what the LAW is set up for.

While some may think it's cruel to pin a lizard to the ground for the purposes of a shot in a film, it's not ILLEGAL according to the LAW in the UK.

I'm not a lawyer but I believe this shot will NOT be cut in the Arrow DEEP RED disc.
Old 26th September 2010, 03:54 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyofcrack View Post

While some may think it's cruel to pin a lizard to the ground for the purposes of a shot in a film, it's not ILLEGAL according to the LAW in the UK.

I'm not a lawyer but I believe this shot will NOT be cut in the Arrow DEEP RED disc.
Well if the BBFC decide it's not going to be cut out then so be it. It's still an essential purchase for me regardless.
Old 26th September 2010, 10:18 PM
Ex-member

Quote:

If that applies then why was the shot cut in the first place and why was Inferno originally also cut when it was classified for a VHS release ?

Are the BBFC interpreting laws in a different way now?

They do make the excuse that R18's are cut due to "their current interpretation of the OPA".
Old 26th September 2010, 10:27 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
While the BBFC never gave a reason why they overturned the INFERNO decision, they wrote this:

So, when they overturned it less than a week later it was for another reason. My guess is that it was for the reason I brought up for BOTH films, which is that mice and lizards are not 'domesticated' or 'protected' animals which is what the LAW is set up for.

I think you might be concentrating on the domesticated part too much though. The defining part is 'under the control of man' which it would have been for the shooting of the scene, if that's how it happened. Even if it's just under control temporarily, that's enough for the law to act.
Old 27th September 2010, 11:59 AM
Active Cultist

would it be possible to reframe the image, maybe zoom in a bit so that you can't see the lizard?
Old 27th September 2010, 03:17 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The lizard's in the center, that won't work.

How about just leaving the lizard in and then saying "oops, we accidentally used the wrong master"
Old 27th September 2010, 04:30 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the blob View Post
I think you might be concentrating on the domesticated part too much though. The defining part is 'under the control of man' which it would have been for the shooting of the scene, if that's how it happened. Even if it's just under control temporarily, that's enough for the law to act.
Whether temporary or not, the animals need to be of the protected kind and there are only two types of protected lizards, Sand and Viviparous. The latter is brown, grey or black in color and the former is restricted to areas in the UK.

The scene was shot in Italy. I seriously doubt they flew in an imported lizard from the UK. I'm sure they used one locally and with a reptile rangler on set to monitor what was going on. My guess is that they used a Common Wall Lizard.
Old 28th September 2010, 09:26 AM
Ex-member

If this film is release in a cut version then why don't you just host the cut scene on here just like shameless have done.
Closed Thread  

Like this? Share it using the links below!