Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which of these solutions would be the most palatable to you?
Cutting the image of the lizard altogether 12 25.00%
Some digital 'fuzziness' 30 62.50%
A still image for the three seconds 6 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. This poll is closed

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st September 2010, 06:38 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
I wonder if Arrow could make two versions: one with the cut and one with the digital manipulation or still image.
Maybe via seamless branching?

I think a still image (maybe with a very slight faux camera movement to disguise that it's a still image) might work better to allow viewers see what's going on.
Digitally obscuring it, depending on how it's done could work, too.
Old 21st September 2010, 06:56 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Has there been a decision from the BBFC yet, then? Is it definitely going to be censored by the 'classifiers' (who insist they're not censors...)?

How about using CGI to turn the lizard into a snake, as the Animals Act doesn't cover invertebrates?!
Old 21st September 2010, 07:00 PM
Cultist

Hmmm not saying I agree with animal cruelty... because I don't, but am I right in saying the BBFC have really no legal basis for issuing cuts to animal cruelty on DVDs since that act only applies to films? They simply have added it to their guidelines under the VRA, which surely, can't cover it either because it's not likely to harm anyone. Under that basis the Video Appeals Committee would have no real legal basis to uphold the BBFC's decision to cut it.... Take it to the Video Appeals Committee!

Joke :P I'd go for cutting the scene.
Old 21st September 2010, 07:09 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

When I asked the BBFC about whether the Act only applies to films for cinema exhibition, they informed me that at the time of the VRA the Home Office advised them to extend the Act to cover films for home viewing as well. As much as I might get annoyed with the BBFC at times (rarely, though, these days, I might add) they really have no choice in this matter and we can't blame them for having to excise such scenes. I think that as long as the implication of what the child is doing is conveyed well enough then the film will play out just fine. But the implication has to be there, as this is why the child gets a beating, without the implication it would render the sequence a little confusing. I'm confident that if the film has to be altered that the chaps at Arrow will do a good job of it - in fact, most viewers probably won't even know it's cut if it's done well.

To be honest, this wouldn't really be censorship on the BBFC's part, just them adhering to the laws of the land, which they can't be blamed for. As seen with their waiving of the cut to Inferno, they will go as close to the line as they can, without crossing it, as they possibly can. They should be applauded for that IMO. And, as much as we folks don't like cut films, in instances like this there's no alternative. But....fingers crossed it'll get through unscathed - you never know!

Whilst I think it's a weird policy of cutting old films like this, I also have no doubt that if the Cinematograph Act (Animals) was scrapped that some unscrupulous souls would make films showing cruelty to animals, which is not something I'd like to see happen. That's just the kind of world we live in, unfortunately.

I'm not totally anti-censorship, as that's a ridiculous stance to take, but I am against draconian censorship, which thankfully is no longer the prevailing attitude at the BBFC. In fact, political censorship and media manipulation worries me far more these days than any fear of cutting horror films!
Old 21st September 2010, 07:31 PM
Ex-member
Good Trader

A digital mosaic would probably be the best bet, Japanese tapes used to do it to nudity.
Old 21st September 2010, 08:18 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I voted for some Fuzz.Can't beat a bit of fuzz.

Oops,released uncut by mistake.

I'm sure all law abiding citizens will dutifully return their copies for censored versions.

Seriously though.Not that bothered about the lizard getting Fuzzy-beared!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 21st September 2010, 11:00 PM
Ex-member

How come there is no option that says : "Buy the US dvd instead."
Who wants a classic like this interfered with at all ?
If Arrow can't get it passed uncut they should pull off the same stunt that Redemption did with VHS.
Open an outlet somewhere in mainland Europe and offer an uncut version supplied from there .
Anyone could act as the European agent posting uncut discs from abroad perfectly legally.
Buyers of the UK disc could have a mail order option to return the cut version unopened that Arrow could recirculate in the UK and those fans really bothered could get the uncut one in exchange.
Old 22nd September 2010, 12:11 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Out of all of the options I'd rather see it cut (not a popular choice is seems). I think, perhaps fairly, genre fans seem slightly allergic to cuts, and people seem to feel it's the last resort. However, to me anything that will detract my attention from the film is something I don't want to see. I don't want to see the fuzzing or a hanging frame (you just need to watch the terrible treatment Studio Canal has given to Breathless to see how annoying a hanging frame can be in a film; which I promptly returned I might add). A cut won't bring me out of thrall of the film. It's hardly a hugely significant nor a poignant scene.

It's completely understandable if Arrow do go to the effort of digital manipulation, considering the majority of people seem to (sadly in my opinion) want that (bunch of George Lucas wannabes or what? ), and I wouldn't hold Arrow in any less admiration than I currently do, however, it would just mean I'd have to hope for another Blu of Deep Red from another company, or even country.
Old 22nd September 2010, 08:23 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtom View Post
How come there is no option that says : "Buy the US dvd instead."
Because that is a DVD and not a Blu-ray which is why we are also excited about the prospect of watching Profondo Rosso in high definition.
Old 23rd September 2010, 01:53 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by the blob View Post
Or the uncut/unmanipulated version that accidentally got through quality control and was withdrawn after everyone on here grabbed a copy...
I'm going with this one. Does this scene have to be cut? I mean we got away with the cat and mouse in Inferno, why not this?
Closed Thread  

Like this? Share it using the links below!