Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd December 2010, 08:09 AM
Cultist in Training

Thanks for the update ecc. I'm still not convinced the Blu-ray is worth a purchase judging by those screencaps, it'd almost be like watching Suspiria with a pastel palette!
Old 2nd December 2010, 08:21 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Another thing that adds to the desaturation v boosting argument is the again the screencap with the eye between the slats - in nearly all the other versions, you can see more information with regards to the cornea of the eye; in the AB version, the cornea is so dark it almost looks like one gigantic pupil.

I think bdc is on the money - this is not so much a case of the Arrow being desaturated, but of the AB colours being boosted and before we did not have the luxury of comparing and contrasting because we had limited choice. However, it might just be that people prefer the garish brighter colours.
Old 2nd December 2010, 08:32 AM
Cultist in Training

To Mojo, I refer you to Nemesis as a prime example (of which there are many). I don't wish to knock Arrow in general (or get into any slanging matches with anyone either, for that matter, I've seen how people are bullied off this forum for daring to challenge the almighty Arrow lol), but for so many people on here they can do no wrong and even when they do, apparently it doesn't count or matter because, in lieu of any real reason, they’re releasing everything we want when no one else is.

If you genuinely prefer to watch this, or any other other film with duller colours, then fair enough. But I challenge anyone to turn down the settings of your TV and watch Suspiria with muted colours and still enjoy it as much. There are some films we've grown up with and are used to seeing a certain way and changing the way a film looks this late in the game is risky at best.
Old 2nd December 2010, 08:53 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Pinhead,

I am not supporting Arrow just for the sake of it and for the record, I have not bought every single thing they have put out.

I genuinely do think this release looks good on the basis of the screencaps. I think it reveals much more detail than previous releases and although the colour scheme may be controversial, I think that it has a more natural look than the others.

If you prefer the brighter colours, then props to you.
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:01 AM
Cult Rookie

Both the screenshots where the red has "turned" to brown are in very low-light settings (as red is wont to do in real life). If other scenes in brighter conditions like the attack on Brigitte Skay outdoors features brownish blood, that'll be disappointing, but I'm betting it won't be.

To be honest, I can easily see Bava going for a more relaxed, non-Technicolor palette on this film (it's a rather grittier, less romantic movie than most of his 60s work), while telecine operators 30 years later decide to make it look "more" like Bava's earlier films. This new HD master (which looks from a really nice printing element, if not the actual camera negative) may well reveal what the colours were originally intended to be all along. Stylistically, I think the film's much more of a piece with Rabid Dogs than Kill, Baby, Kill! - it's definitely not a mod-spectacular or supernatural fantasy.

Last edited by Jon; 2nd December 2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:06 AM
Cultist in Training

I only used what you said as an example because you're deploying the usual tactic on here of trying to put down any other release of a film Arrow has or is putting out. I haven't looked at any other things you said on other threads so you may be alright

Bottom line for me is that many on here would buy an Arrow release if it was just a black screen for the entire duration (okay, so that's a slight exaggeration, but you get my drift). They always pop up when new releases are announced with the likes of 'I'll be buying this on the day of release!' or 'I've pre-ordered this already!' or 'I need this to complete my Arrow collection, Arrow are great!' So assuming those posters are genuine and not just Arrow moles, those sales are guaranteed for them no matter what. So really, it's the sales to casual buyers walking through the stores and people like me, who are very interested (I had this one pre-ordered) but won't just buy it for the hell of it, which matter (or should matter) to Arrow and unfortunately I won't be buying this now as I'd much prefer seeing it the way I'm used to and I'm not alone in thinking this way, so it's a shame but sales will be affected. Oh, and while I'm on about it, casual sales won't be too great either because apart from the obvious fact it has nothing to do with the film, that cover's awful!
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:12 AM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
Both the screenshots where the red has "turned" to brown are in very low-light settings (as red is wont to do in real life). If other scenes in brighter conditions like the attack on Brigitte Skay outdoors features brownish blood, that'll be disappointing, but I'm betting it won't be.

The DVD (not Blu-ray) review on DVDBeaver said the blood did look a rust colour, so unfortunately prepare to be disappointed
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:16 AM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
To be honest, I can easily see Bava going for a more relaxed, non-Technicolor palette on this film (it's a rather grittier, less romantic movie than most of his 60s work), while telecine operators 30 years later decide to make it look "more" like Bava's earlier films. This new HD master (which looks from a really nice printing element, if not the actual camera negative) may well reveal what the colours were originally intended to be all along. Stylistically, I think the film's much more of a piece with Rabid Dogs than Kill, Baby, Kill! - it's definitely not a mod-spectacular or supernatural fantasy.

Sorry, but I wholly disagree with this bit you've added. The film is a typical loud 70s vibrant, even over-the-top slasher-fest. In no way could it be regarded as being like Rabid Dogs in any context, visually, stylistically or any other way. Some people seem to be clutching at straws here and trying to convince themselves that this looks good, at it might, but that doesn't mean it looks right.
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:18 AM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinhead0303 View Post
The DVD (not Blu-ray) review on DVDBeaver said the blood did look a rust colour, so unfortunately prepare to be disappointed
If the blood is the same colour as the sword on the fortune-teller's card, it'll look fine. I don't necessarily trust DVDBeaver's methodology or screengrabs a lot of the time. They've been proven not entirely representative of the actual on-disc image more than once, despite being a terrific site overall. A lot of people on other forums are calling out their dismissal of Optimum's Peeping Tom BD as showing nowhere near the real detail and texture of the image contained on-disc.
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:20 AM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
If the blood is the same colour as the sword on the fortune-teller's card, it'll look fine. I don't necessarily trust DVDBeaver's methodology or screengrabs a lot of the time. They've been proven not entirely representative of the actual on-disc image more than once, despite being a terrific site overall. A lot of people on other forums are calling out their dismissal of Optimum's Peeping Tom BD as showing nowhere near the real depth and texture of the image contained on-disc.

Well, we'll see, and I'd be happy for you to let me and everyone else know should you buy this. But I won't be bothering now, at least not yet.

Like this? Share it using the links below!