Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th November 2010, 05:25 PM
Cultist

The colors look far more natural to me in the Arrow DVD, I know that it sounds odd to prefer more muted colors in a Bava film, but the others in the comparison suffer for the oversaturation. I'm looking forward to reviewing the BD soon.

Twitch - We Know Stuff
Old 30th November 2010, 05:51 PM
Active Cultist

The desaturation is disappointing to me but the increased clarity makes parts of it look like it was shot yesterday although the reds really needed their Technicolor levels (the velvet sofas in the long shot of the drawing room in the countess' villa no longer leap out amidst the blue lighting).

I hope BARON BLOOD can look this good (with the right color levels).
Old 30th November 2010, 06:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Can someone link the review at DVD Beaver? That site is an absolute mess, can't see it at all.
Old 30th November 2010, 06:13 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKA View Post
Can someone link the review at DVD Beaver? That site is an absolute mess, can't see it at all.
Here you go.

A Bay of Blood - Claudine Auger
Old 30th November 2010, 06:23 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Ah, thanks! No wonder I couldn't find it, I was looking through the Blu-ray lists.
Old 30th November 2010, 07:35 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Yep this is a review of the dvd.
I also like the way the Arrow release looks (from the screencaps),both AB and Raro seem to have been boosted imagewise.

It reminds me a bit of the screencaps comparison of Optimum's Lizard in a woman's skin on dvdbeaver.
And that is a great disc.

Last edited by bdc; 30th November 2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 30th November 2010, 08:17 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
I also like the way the Arrow release looks (from the screencaps),both AB and Raro seem to have been boosted imagewise.
I totally agree - it's the last two screenshots that particularly clinch it for me; the colours are overdone on the AB, while whites are way too strong on the Raro.

In Laura Betti's screencap, you can barely see the cigarette smoke on the AB and she looks as white as sheet on the Raro.

On Claudine Auger's, both the AB and the Raro look dated - again Claudine is hit by white light effect on the Raro. One may argue that the blood is redder in the AB than Arrow, but in a way brownish blood is good for Arrow in this particular screencap which, for spoilerish reasons, I won't get into.
Old 30th November 2010, 10:24 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Hmm, my post isn't here that I did an hour or so ago, so I'll try again... EDIT: Oops! Haha, somehow it got posted as a blog. Here's what I wrote before...

I'm ok with folks wanting the movie desaturated, but that's what the settings on your tv are for if the film wasn't intended to be desaturated. I can't do the opposite if the disc is transferred as desaturated when it shouldn't be.

I've cancelled my pre-order and will not get this until I see/read more about the blu-ray release. Right now, I'm pretty disappointed -- esp after getting SPIRITS OF THE DEAD and it was done so nicely. A pity, really.
Old 30th November 2010, 10:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgart13 View Post
Hmm, my post isn't here that I did an hour or so ago, so I'll try again... EDIT: Oops! Haha, somehow it got posted as a blog. Here's what I wrote before...

I'm ok with folks wanting the movie desaturated, but that's what the settings on your tv are for if the film wasn't intended to be desaturated. I can't do the opposite if the disc is transferred as desaturated when it shouldn't be.

I've cancelled my pre-order and will not get this until I see/read more about the blu-ray release. Right now, I'm pretty disappointed -- esp after getting SPIRITS OF THE DEAD and it was done so nicely. A pity, really.
The only screencap that I dont´like is the one with the naked lady on the stair (sorry but I don´t know the film too well to remember the scene).

The rest of them look wonderful in comparison.

It´s better to be desaturated than oversaturated.

How do you know the movie shouldn't be desaturated.
I know Bava has many strong colors in his movies but we will never know if that was his real intention rather than a lab mistake.

Last edited by springjack; 30th November 2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old 30th November 2010, 10:50 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by springjack View Post
How do you know the movie shouldn't be desaturated.
How do you know the movie should be desaturated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by springjack View Post
It´s better to be desaturated than oversaturated.
That's a matter of opinion, don't you think?

There's two people I'll trust with this info, maybe three -- Tim Lucas, Lamberto Bava and Troy Howarth. I'll wait to hear what they think.

Like this? Share it using the links below!