Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th December 2010, 10:26 PM
Cultist in Training

Mines arrived this morning!! I love the Edgar Wright bonus segments. Another win for Arrow!
Old 21st December 2010, 07:14 PM
Active Cultist

It may just be me, but on the interview with Dardado Saccheti was his voice too quiet.
Old 21st December 2010, 09:08 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I didn't notice that...it's subtitled anyway,I seem to remember?

Short Blu-ray review

Ok,after comparing the Raro,AB and French Carlotta (screencaps only with this one),I almost got a headache!
Just what is the correct way this should look?
Well to be honest I'm not certain,but I researched this quite a bit I'd say.

First I'd like to say that considering the materials available for this film,the bd looks and sounds fine.
There's also some really amazing detail.

As far as the colors are concerned,it all depends of your tv's calibration I guess.
I watched this in "cinema mode" in a darkened room and colors looked a bit pastel like (not bad at all and reminding me of some of Bava's older films).
Btw according to Imdb this was shot in Eastman Color.

When switching to "standard mode" colors were very bright (maybe a little too bright).

Brightness
According to Tim Lucas this was shot in January/February,one character even states it's March in the movie.
Seems Bava used a combination of natural and artificial lighting for the outdoor shots.
It also looks like he shot many "day for night" scenes.
On the bd it looks like there may been some "day for night" adjustments (making those scenes a bit darker),making out at which point it's supposed to be light/darker/dark is not easy with this one (or maybe if you have seen it countless times) so I can't say if these are correct.

The Extras
Generally ok,but not something I'll watch more than once.
Also the film footage used in the interview segments is so-so pic quality,I think I understand why and have no real problem with it but sometimes it's a bit choppy in motion (don't know why,someone should look into that) on the bd.

The Italian version (included solely as an extra) seems to have no chapter stops.

PS keep in mind I don't usually write bd reviews.

Last edited by bdc; 21st December 2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 21st December 2010, 09:13 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

'First I'd like to say that considering the materials available for this film,the bd looks and sounds fine.
There's also some really amazing detail.'

Then you enjoyed it B?

And from what you have said above,then it does the job nicely.

If it looks and sounds good then that's what matters!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 21st December 2010, 09:28 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I enjoyed it Reaps.
Bay is a really good film and I'm glad that after getting all analytical on it,I could still enjoy it.
There's also a lot of humor in this one and Brigitte Skay is really fun as "the Viking"!
Old 21st December 2010, 09:31 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

It's classic Bava-one of my favourites of his.

I MUST watch this this week.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 22nd December 2010, 07:03 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I had a look at it, and as bdc says, it depends what your tv setting are. I thought the colours looked ok, but I'm colourblind (seriously). If I have one criticism about the release, it's the 2 trailers courtesy of Trailers From Hell. Unlike the site, there's no option to watch them without Edgar Wright's commentary Perhaps for future discs, we could get the choice of watching the trailers with/without the commentary?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22nd December 2010, 02:18 PM
Cultist

Just watched it, you can read my review on my blog..REGION FREE BLU RAY
I have mixed feelings about the film, its an ok slasher but the acting was a bit hit and miss. The audio for the dialog on the Blu seems very low so had trouble hearing what was being said. A fantastic set of extras, enjoyed the Tim Lucas commentary a lot.Transfer was good, probably the best its ever looked.
If your a Bava fan then you should buy this now, if not then maybe rent first. Well done Arrow again!
Old 22nd December 2010, 08:08 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Bay's audio has always been troublesome (music high volume and dialog a lot lower),so nothing new there.
I don't know if this was actually originally intended but I like the effect it has.

I agree Stephen,an original trailer would have been nice (possibly restored)...

I was actually looking for the Tim Lucas commentary...it's not in the extras menu but it can be found in the set up menu.

Last edited by bdc; 22nd December 2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 23rd December 2010, 04:24 PM
Cult Rookie

I'm curious what's up with the colors myself! Every previous DVD release has had harsh contrast and boosted saturation, similar to how I'd expect a vintage Technicolor feature to look - but as others have said, this was shot on Eastman film, so there shouldn't be a reason for the film's colors to "glow" like they do on all the older transfers. Was this because Anchor Bay (et al.) were emulating the look of Bava's older features like Blood and Black Lace, or were the prints they were given processed to look that way?

All the stills of the Blu-ray look just a bit anemic to me, but the improvements in detail and contrast seem well worth the color being a bit dull. Not to mention we get the "Psuedotechnicolor" Italian version in full as an extra.

Odds are the negative has always looked this way, or maybe it's faded a bit in the last 40 years and that's as good as it'll look now. It looks very promising (especially if I adjust my monitor for the evening!), it's just not how I'm used to the film looking.

Like this? Share it using the links below!