Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st May 2010, 06:02 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Default Inferno - The Music Score - Mad or Genius?

I love Inferno but I have agonised over the years at the mad music score - it does have some great well-judged moments and others which then seem bombastic and insane. What's your opinion?
Old 31st May 2010, 06:21 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Unforunately I have no opinion......yet.I'm intrigued now.I suppose,like music in a lot of films,it divides people.I've not disliked music in any Argento film yet,so lets see if this one can be the one first,or if I'll love it as much as the rest.
Old 31st May 2010, 06:22 PM
Cult Rookie

personally i really love the keith emerson score, i wouldnt say i has the same iconic quality of simonetti's susperia score but all the same i feel it workes fantastically well for inferno. it doesnt have the sharp, scary moments of the suspira soundtrack but again inferno has a completely different feel to it anyway, and emersons score compliments it perfectly
Old 31st May 2010, 06:31 PM
Cult Rookie

For the record, I love the Emerson score for Inferno. It may be at the opposite end of the scale from the Suspiria soundtrack but it still has the power to be simple and effective when you listen to it or watch the movie.

As for some of the more bombastic tracks, I believe it was Argento himself who requested certain pieces of music be utilised in the score and left the arrangements to Emerson. Either way this is an incredibly beautful collection of music and, in my opinion, reaches a height that Emerson never achieved in some of his other filmworks.
Old 31st May 2010, 06:45 PM
Cult Rookie

i agree, dario caught emerson at a time in the 80s when he was extremely createful and this shines through in the great inferno soundtrack, i love simonetti but emerson was perfect for this one
Old 31st May 2010, 06:57 PM
Cult Rookie

Simonetti's music is genius and he has a larger body of 'experiental' soundrtack work, but Inferno (the film) didn't have that kind of experimental approach to film-making and therefore the soundtrack didn't need to reflect it. I will however say that I still have shivers down my spine at hearing the original vinyl release of this and listening to the track "Rose Gets It" at the end of the first side of the album.

Albeit not Inferno related, it is interesting to also note that although Emerson does get the credit for the soundtrack of the Argento produced movie The Church, he was only responsible for a few pieces of the music
Old 1st June 2010, 12:26 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Definitely prefer SUSPIRIA's Goblin soundtrack. Emerson's sometimes becomes too much and doesn't quite work with the visuals. Some of it's great, but I'm not a fan of keyboards from the 80's. If I'm gonna listen to keyboards from that time, gimme Eno!
Old 1st June 2010, 12:43 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Love the score all the way...

Mater Tenebrarum is a classic... A personal track for Halloween Night as a DJ here in Portugal...
Old 1st June 2010, 01:11 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I like Emerson's music - the music that plays diring the taxi ride with all the primary colour fountains is particularly striking and a highlight of the film for me. Yes, I prefer this scene to the cat-on-mouse violence.

The only drawback with Inferno, for me, is that the film is a series of moments and elaborate set pieces rather than a cohesive whole. I still love it though, but it's still a secondary work next to Suspiria IMO. Don't get me wrong, at this stage of his career, even a lesser Argento is better than most directors on their best day.
Old 1st June 2010, 08:57 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I'm split on this, I adore Mater Tenebrarum amongst others; but listening to them on an mp3 player is quiet different from the film. First time watching the film it embarrassed me a little, now it's endearing and I've learnt to get along with it! Ha.

Listening to the music separately is very enjoyable too.

Welcome to The Deuce

Like this? Share it using the links below!