Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th February 2012, 05:47 PM
Cultist in Training

I too watched this during the early 90's when it was known as Creepers but recently picked it again as i'm collecting the Arrow Blu's, couldn't remember much about it back in the day but watched it again last night and loved it, i love the creepy atmosphere and the Goblin music was great!
Old 12th February 2012, 08:12 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooedjackass View Post
I too watched this during the early 90's when it was known as Creepers
Presumably that was the Palace Video version

I cannot remember if that was the full version, or the hideously butchered one

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Last edited by Susan Foreman; 12th February 2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12th February 2012, 08:19 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
Presumably that was the Palace Video version

I cannot remember it that was the full version, or the hideously butchered one
Being that long ago i seriously can't remember im sure it had the creeper case all in black with the monkey and the cut throat razor (same as one of the prints in the arrow case') thats about as much i could remember
Old 13th February 2012, 09:26 AM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

I saw Suspiria at the cinema around 1980/81 on a double bill with Cross of Iron and had no idea who Argento was at the time, but was totally impressed with the film ("The only thing more frightening than the first 12 minutes are the last 92.... I'll never forget that poster!). Anyway, that made me seek out Tenebrae and Deep Red during the pre cert years, and then Bird with the Crystal Plumage. When Creepers was announced in one of the mid-80s video mags (and, I think, Starburst) I was very excited, but I was very disappointed by the fact the film, when released, was not only the "short" version, but even that had been butchered by the BBFC. Despite a thumping soundtrack and some brilliant bravura sequences, the short version, as a whole, was a thorough disappointment. The best thing about the Palace release was the Graham Humphreys artwork (he also did the artwork for The Evil Dead pre cert release plus all those mentioned earlier in the thread, and continues to be a successful designer today).

Move forward a year or two to the halcyon days of late 80s video trading through the underground fanzine scene. Years before the likes of Watford and The Dark Side, these were the seminal years when fanzines like Cold Sweat, Trash City, Imaginator, In the Flesh, Absurd, Rats in the Cellar and Headcheese and Chainsaws were no profit photocopied zines produced by genre fans and full of rave reviews, articles and the occasional ads for uncut goodies.

I was trading with numerous contacts nationwide, plus guys in America, Australia and Europe, and an Australian guy sent me the big box Australian release of Phenomena... fully uncut. And what a difference that made! The film was suddenly "alive"! It made sense! It rocked!

These days I no longer have the Australian tape, nor any copies on tape anymore. I do have the US and Japanese laserdiscs, the UK and US DVDs, the Dragon limited edition DVD set of the Integral version (still sealed!), and of course the Arrow Blu Ray.

Its a masterpiece in my opinion, and Argento's best film.
Old 6th April 2012, 04:38 PM
Cult Acolyte

Like a lot of others here the first time I saw Phenomena was in its edited form as Creepers, which was released onto rental video by Palace, years back.I've never really watched it properly since then, but now I've bought the Arrow BD release I'll make time to sit down and watch it in its entirety.I'm looking forward to it too as I really enjoyed the shortened down Palace version.
Old 9th April 2012, 03:07 AM
Cultist in Training

I purchased the US clamshell VHS of the Anchor Bay release of the uncut version. I like it, but don't love it. It is still second tier Argento to me. My enjoyment of the film increased a bit when I got a chance to see the "Creepers" version of the film on the big screen a few years back.
Old 9th April 2012, 07:17 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape Ape View Post
I purchased the US clamshell VHS of the Anchor Bay release of the uncut version. I like it, but don't love it. It is still second tier Argento to me. My enjoyment of the film increased a bit when I got a chance to see the "Creepers" version of the film on the big screen a few years back.
Do you still have that clamshell VHS? If so, it is probably worth quite a bit of cash.
Old 10th April 2012, 02:34 AM
Cultist in Training

No, I'm sure I sold it when I got the Anchor Bay DVF
Old 3rd August 2012, 05:04 AM
Cult Rookie

I first watched this late one night on BBC2, in the early 90's. I absolutely loved it. I own the blu-ray and dvd arrow versions..they've my faves for sure.

Like this? Share it using the links below!