Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Arrow Archives (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=574)
-   -   Phenomena - How You Discovered It (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/arrow-archives/4526-phenomena-how-you-discovered.html)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 1st February 2011 10:02 AM

Phenomena - How You Discovered It

I don't think I've ever had a thread like this before in a section dedicated to one release but this is all about how you discovered Phenomena, where you first saw the film and how long you've been a fan.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 1st February 2011 10:10 AM

I didn't see Phenomena in its complete form for a couple of years after I first saw the film which was in the R1 Drive-In Movie Classics: 50 Movie Pack in its butchered form and under the title Creeper. There was something about the film that made it stand out over most of the other 49 that made me return to it, research the title and then buy the proper R1 Anchor Bay release a couple of years ago.

oaxaca 1st February 2011 10:49 AM

I rented this in the late 90s for the first time and loved every minute of it, from Donald Pleasance's rather demented performance where he talks to his monkey a little too often to the excellent performance by Jennifer Connelly to the magnificent locations of the boarding school and the Swiss scenery... This always remained one of my favourite Argento films, if not my favourite, and is crying out for a great transfer. So thanks for releasing this, Arrow! :D

Almar@Cult Labs 1st February 2011 12:08 PM

Ah well I discovered this as the heavily cut Creepers that Palace put out. Without the web and only Darkside easily kicking about it took quite a bit of detective work to become a fan so when I got Tenebrae as an old Betamax tape I thought I have to get more Argento - this guy is mental!

So I was well pleased to discover an old Palace sell-thru tape in the Brunstfield branch of Azad Video in the early 90s. It was another manic assault on the senses and the bonus of Jennifer Connolly being in it was quite something. I was never that keen on the way Palace packaged it but thinking about it it was an attempt to create a collectible range which included other treats from Basketcase to Dream Demon.

Back then the thought of Creepers uncut was just something you could never think would happen or indeed widescreen with picture quality to match so the debate focused very much on the films we watched and that was a huge part of the fun of collecting and getting into horror - pulling the films apart.

mr 420 1st February 2011 12:12 PM

I remember renting it (As Creepers) the first week that it came out. This was due to it having a cover designed by the guy who also did the Spookies cover and the Death Warmed Up one (can someone remember his name? It may even be the guy who did the cover for The Video Nasties DVD, they certinally look like they have a similar style). It wasn't until 2000 when the cheap UK dvd (Platinum dvd I think the label was) came out that I got to see the full uncut Phenomena and by that time I was a major Argento fan and was desperate to see it after watching Dario Argento's World of Horror.

mercury 1st February 2011 12:52 PM

I only saw it a few months ago on the Horror channel as part of the Argento season. I really liked it though, and can't wait for the release:)

Paul@TheOverlook 1st February 2011 01:16 PM

This was the first Argento film I saw – and I was probably about 13 at the time. Saw it at a friend of a friend’s house – his mother didn’t vet what he watched and I was completely drawn into it, probably because it was something I shouldn’t have been watching and probably because of how bonkers it is. Funny thing is, the tape I saw, was the Palace rental version (BBFC edits to the already truncated US print – missing around 20 minutes of footage all told). I watched it again in the early nineties via the same release, and even though I was beginning to take a serious interest in film, Phenomena, or Creepers as it was then known, still managed to enthral me.

Gojirosan 1st February 2011 01:50 PM

I have been racking my brain and I just cannot remember! It was back in the late 80s though and probably was certainly one of the first Argento flicks I saw. I am pretty sure it was the Palace VHS with the ace purple cover and gold box - I certainly owned one of those for awhile!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 1st February 2011 07:39 PM

I first saw it on the Palace rental tape,and although as said earlier,butchered,it was still enjoyable.

wongfeihung62 1st February 2011 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 125441)
This was due to it having a cover designed by the guy who also did the Spookies cover and the Death Warmed Up one (can someone remember his name? It may even be the guy who did the cover for The Video Nasties DVD, they certinally look like they have a similar style).

I believe it is Graeme Humphrey, or something similar.