Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd March 2011, 07:10 PM
Cult Acolyte

Watching Phenomena 2night - I shall tell u my views on the film 2morrow (my 1st time watching it too)
Old 25th April 2011, 09:11 PM
Cult Rookie

Hi,
just watched the excellent Phenomena blu ray last night, but i have a question:
i wanted to watch the movie with the italian audio track and without subtitles, but even selecting 'subtitles: none' i still got the few line transleted for the missing bits in the english cut.
so, did i make any mistake?
or are these subtitles forced and there's no way to turn them off?
it seems a bit strange to me because in the Deep Red blu ray the subtitles for the english audio version could be turn off.
many thanks for your help
Massi
Old 26th April 2011, 03:08 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Just finally gotten round to watching this before. Really excellent transfer quality, the close-ups on the insects looked especially detailed.

My main gripe is with the audio. In the interest of feedback/constructive criticism I don't understand why Arrow couldn't have put the shorter English-language Director's Cut on seperately along with the longer Italian audio version. I know that we get everything on this disc but I'd have much rather watched the shorter English audio version and not been taken out of the film when the dialogue reverted to Italian (especially when you could spot it coming with the removal of the background hum of the English track). I don't get why both versions couldn't have been on one disc and seamless branching employed to save space (then again, I thought the same thing could have been done for Deep Red so maybe I am missing something). Then, having 2 versions of the film could have also been used as a unique selling point for the release.

Other than that though, top notch stuff. As I said before, the transfer looked fantastic, especially when I compared the opening Swiss scene to that on my old dvd. I've had a brief look through the extras and they look great although I'll save them for another day (can never watch extras shortly after the film as they often repeat too many scenes I've just seen). One of my favourite pieces of original artwork too
Old 26th April 2011, 09:27 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Just finally gotten round to watching this before. Really excellent transfer quality, the close-ups on the insects looked especially detailed.

My main gripe is with the audio. In the interest of feedback/constructive criticism I don't understand why Arrow couldn't have put the shorter English-language Director's Cut on seperately along with the longer Italian audio version. I know that we get everything on this disc but I'd have much rather watched the shorter English audio version and not been taken out of the film when the dialogue reverted to Italian (especially when you could spot it coming with the removal of the background hum of the English track). I don't get why both versions couldn't have been on one disc and seamless branching employed to save space (then again, I thought the same thing could have been done for Deep Red so maybe I am missing something). Then, having 2 versions of the film could have also been used as a unique selling point for the release.

Other than that though, top notch stuff. As I said before, the transfer looked fantastic, especially when I compared the opening Swiss scene to that on my old dvd. I've had a brief look through the extras and they look great although I'll save them for another day (can never watch extras shortly after the film as they often repeat too many scenes I've just seen). One of my favourite pieces of original artwork too
I have to agree with you most of the time. The transfer is really great - the movie looks very good for its age.

However, I don't quite see the problem with the sound. I really don't think that those few scenes in Italian "popping" into the movie do any harm. As we get the subtitles automatically all the time (and there are plenty releases of other labels where you have to put them on manually - that's something to complain about ) it's ok with me the way it is. But I see your point - I guess it is something very personal to decide whether such things do disturbe oneself or not.

Altogether, I enjoyed Phenomena very much. Nosferatu recommended the movie to me and I have to thank him for that once again - it's one of Argento's best in my eyes and a state-of-the-art release by Arrow. I really enjoy opening the door to my room every day - with the Melton artwork saluting me each and every time.

Greetings!

Like this? Share it using the links below!