Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th February 2011, 05:08 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam tyler View Post
Seriously?

Why?
Exactly my thoughts too. I've never known it to be in black & white. What the hell happened?
Old 20th February 2011, 05:16 PM
Cult Rookie

Looking forward to the official word on this, Fingers hovering over the cancel button!!!
Old 20th February 2011, 05:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

The thing is it's the opening scene which really sets up the rest of the film for me,

The extreme horror of the chain whipping, wrist nailing and face melting nastiness really pulls you into the film and I believe this impact will be at best reduced or at worst completely lost if it is in B&W

That being said I am more than willing to listen to any reasons behind this change if any are forth coming.
Old 20th February 2011, 05:54 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

There probably won't be any official word on this until tomorrow at the earliest.

In the meantime, could you try and be a bit open-minded to a monochrome opening? I don't know if there is a huge reason why something that works in sepia will not work in black and white and vice versa.
Old 20th February 2011, 06:23 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I don't know if there is a huge reason why something that works in sepia will not work in black and white and vice versa.
I think the intent behind using sepia was to evoke the feeling that we're seeeing something that has happened a long time ago. Much like looking at old sepia toned photographs. Sepia has also got a warmer look to it which works well with the flaming torches used in this sequence, B&W just looks too cold in comparison.

It's possible that one could get used to it being B&W but it's going to be niggle knowing it really should be sepia.
Old 20th February 2011, 06:28 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:

In the meantime, could you try and be a bit open-minded to a monochrome opening? I don't know if there is a huge reason why something that works in sepia will not work in black and white and vice versa.
The problem is this could affect worldwide sales, althoughI will still get this release it may cause others to wait for another version from somewhere else.
Old 20th February 2011, 06:32 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
There probably won't be any official word on this until tomorrow at the earliest.

I don't think it's a lack of open-mindedness that has made this an issue; it's the fact that someone decided to change the director's original vision, for an unknown and, possibly, unnecessary reason.
Old 20th February 2011, 06:35 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by junyab View Post
I don't think it's a lack of open-mindedness that has made this an issue; it's the fact that someone decided to change the director's original vision, for an unknown and, possibly, unnecessary reason.
We don't know that that's the case so, until there is official news to report about the opening sequence, could we please get this thread back on topic, posting links or quoting from reviews?
Old 20th February 2011, 06:40 PM
Cultist in Training

I'm really in two minds whether or not to buy this now, I just know that the beginning in B&W would bug the hell outa me after watching it all these years in sepia. Like Jonny said the sepia look gives it that old photograph feel which works so well with the opening of the film. If this isn't corrected in the retail version its very disappointing indeed

Last edited by Ashy; 20th February 2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old 20th February 2011, 06:50 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Whilst it seems very strange that the opening scene appears to be in B&W compared to the intended sepia, personally I'd await further reviews and the official word from Arrow before making any conclusions about this release.

Like this? Share it using the links below!