Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th February 2011, 10:18 PM
Active Cultist

I have to admit I have not seen this movie as of yet but I hope they have kept the opening scene like the original!
Old 20th February 2011, 11:38 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

A sneak peek with more caps. B & W again but aside from that debate the rest look really good to me.

Blu-ray Sneak Peak: The Beyond | Home Cinema Choice: AV, surround sound and TV reviews
Old 21st February 2011, 01:14 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
We don't know that that's the case so, until there is official news to report about the opening sequence, could we please get this thread back on topic, posting links or quoting from reviews?
With all due respect, Nos, the discussion was about a review that pointed out that the opening had been altered to monochrome, so it is relevant. I'm also a bit baffled as to why this was done and will await news from Arrow on this issue. The thing is, a film like The Beyond is loved by many genre fans the world over and won't be forgiving if Fulci's vision has been tampered with in any way. I know that I'm used to seeing it in sepiatone and if I saw it in monochrome it would be very jarring and wouldn't sit well with me. The sepiatone is what Fulci wanted and all releases thus far (to the best of my knowledge) have used this opening - so why change it now? Hell, it wouldn't even have been so bad if they'd used the colour opening - but black and white?

But I'm not going to write it off yet, let's wait and hear what Arrow have to say.
Old 21st February 2011, 01:18 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by the blob View Post
A sneak peek with more caps. B & W again but aside from that debate the rest look really good to me.

Blu-ray Sneak Peak: The Beyond | Home Cinema Choice: AV, surround sound and TV reviews
That review says that Arrow's release marks its debut on DVD. That's wholly incorrect - Vipco released this on DVD uncut here in the UK some years back. But it is the Blu-ray debut.
Old 21st February 2011, 01:34 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by junyab View Post
I don't think it's a lack of open-mindedness that has made this an issue; it's the fact that someone decided to change the director's original vision, for an unknown and, possibly, unnecessary reason.
Old 21st February 2011, 02:40 AM
Cult Acolyte

If the beginning is not in the original sepia tone then I'm afraid Arrow aren't getting my money.I have the Grindhouse DVD already, I'll just wait until another company puts out a Blu-ray release if this is not corrected.
Old 21st February 2011, 03:56 AM
Cult Rookie

I will say that I will for surely still get this release regardless of what color the opening scene is, what it may stop me from doing is per-ordering blind.
Old 21st February 2011, 07:56 AM
Cult Rookie

Did anyone here defend the botched "Suspiria" release? If Arrow can change sepia to black and white, why can't Cine Excess blow out the contrast and change red to pink? What the hell did Fulci and Argento know anyways.....
Old 21st February 2011, 02:47 PM
Cultist

Hopefully that odd color thing will be corrected by the time I get my review up.

Twitch - We Know Stuff
Old 21st February 2011, 02:56 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

In case you missed it in the technical specs thread, here is something that I posted at 1:08pm:

Quote:
The statement may have taken a bit longer than some of you wanted, but Arrow were keen to ensure no stone was left unturned which led to communications with various people all around Europe. Their statement is as follows:

Quote:
We are taking this very seriously. The benefit of having PR time with check discs prior to release is it allows us to correct things where possible. They are only check discs that reviewers receive and do not always reflect the final product.

The restoration and colour grading for THE BEYOND took place in Italy by the owner of the film, we then received the HD Master in the UK where we felt that the restoration was not good enough so had additional work on the film carried out using an HD Archangel to fix and stabilise motion, weave, picture flicker, overscan and interpolation as well as MTI technology to remove marks and picture defects. Colour grading was completed in Italy and was not tampered with here, we are investigating the colour of the film from negative to master to disc and hope to have more information soon. Once we have more information we can discuss this with the technical team and ensure the right colour is properly presented on this Arrow Video edition.

Once we have further information we will happily communicate every step of the way what is happening and we hope that our customers will keep their confidence in us to deliver the best product possible come release day.

Like this? Share it using the links below!