Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th January 2012, 09:16 PM
Cult Acolyte

I was wondering if another company released a Blu-ray of The Beyond and it had a slightly improved transfer to the Arrow Video one, would all the people who bought the Arrow edition re-buy the film again for this reason? How many times can you keep buying the same film on DVD/BD before saying enough is enough?
Old 15th January 2012, 10:31 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampix View Post
I was wondering if another company released a Blu-ray of The Beyond and it had a slightly improved transfer to the Arrow Video one, would all the people who bought the Arrow edition re-buy the film again for this reason? How many times can you keep buying the same film on DVD/BD before saying enough is enough?
Arrow's (corrected) release of The Beyond is excellent. I would never ever buy another release of this great flick on Blu-ray.

Greetings!
Old 16th January 2012, 12:34 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Enough is never enough. When a new super-duper format supercedes Blu-ray, I'll buy it again on that format. This only applies to selected titles, mind, I don't upgrade everything. But the classics from Argento, Bava, Fulci etc will always be films I will seek out in the best possible versions. I watched my DVD of The Beyond many times and will now watch the BD many times, so it's worth the cost of upgrading. If it's a film I'll only ever watch once, I'd probably rent it rather than buying it. There's been a few films I've wanted to see again on BD but without buying them, so they were rented. Others, which are perennial favourites get bought and added to the BD collection.
Old 16th January 2012, 09:33 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Enough is never enough. When a new super-duper format supercedes Blu-ray, I'll buy it again on that format. This only applies to selected titles, mind, I don't upgrade everything. But the classics from Argento, Bava, Fulci etc will always be films I will seek out in the best possible versions. I watched my DVD of The Beyond many times and will now watch the BD many times, so it's worth the cost of upgrading. If it's a film I'll only ever watch once, I'd probably rent it rather than buying it. There's been a few films I've wanted to see again on BD but without buying them, so they were rented. Others, which are perennial favourites get bought and added to the BD collection.
Same here. But another (maybe even slightly better) release on the same format (i.e. Blu-ray) - nope.

Greetings!
Old 16th January 2012, 10:42 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
For collectors, enough is never enough. I own three copies of Psycho on BD, half a dozen copies of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (from VHS to DVD and BD) and the same with The Exorcist, only I have three videos, one laserdisc (Japanese) four DVDs and about four BDs!

With my favourite films, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new release from this (or another) country - that includes The Beyond, which I already own several times on DVD and BD.
Old 16th January 2012, 11:08 AM
Seasoned Cultist

The Fulci films, I will never stop upgrading if there is a worthy A/V boost.
Been collecting them for over 20 years.

When it comes to "The Beyond" I own/owned 5 versions on VHS, 3 on Laserdisc, 4 on DVD and now this BD about to drop in

Zombie Flesheaters (my favorite) I´ve probably upgraded about the same amount.

If Arrow releases the movie in 4k, on what ever format that will offer "Super Hi-Vision" (as they seem to call it in the business), I´ll gladly upgrade again
Old 16th January 2012, 02:12 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
Same here. But another (maybe even slightly better) release on the same format (i.e. Blu-ray) - nope.

Greetings!
At this point in time, I'd agree with you. But as BD encoding improves, better transfers may come along. And then there's the matter of extras, if another BD of The Beyond comes along chock full of new extras, that might be temptation enough...
Old 16th January 2012, 03:00 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
At this point in time, I'd agree with you. But as BD encoding improves, better transfers may come along. And then there's the matter of extras, if another BD of The Beyond comes along chock full of new extras, that might be temptation enough...
You're right, I almost forgot... I have/had four releases of Ronin! VHS, standard DVD, MGM Gold 2-Disc set, and Blu-ray. In some special cases I would indeed double- or even triple-dip. All previous extras of Ronin plus new interviews with the cast and a documentary about John Frankenheimer - you've got me there!

Greetings!
Daemonia likes this.
Old 16th January 2012, 08:52 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Enough?
What's that?

I own umpteen editions of THE BEYOND,most of Fulci,Argento,Bava,Martino,Deodato's films......

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.

Like this? Share it using the links below!