Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th April 2011, 09:23 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Let's agree to disagree and play nice people? Vajda you're leaning in a bit much on the personal side and Jonny - have you had your coffee yet?
Old 18th April 2011, 09:28 AM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs View Post
...and Jonny - have you had your coffee yet?

Aye! All sorted
Old 18th April 2011, 09:30 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
Aye! All sorted
Cool - can I get you something to go with that?
Jonny likes this.
Old 18th April 2011, 09:34 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
You can't help yourself can you? Calling people childish now.

Oh well.
I added a "I think" - hope you're happy now. At least this forum should not be opinion-free, should it?

And to set the record straight: it's not about making fun of anybody. But I can't see the described problem as a reason for not buying "The Beyond"; although of course everyone has the right to see this differently.

However, if I really like a movie and get a release like Arrow's - one should not care too much about such minor things, especially as you can clearly see that everything is done by Arrow to satisfy the customer.

Now: we are in the middle of "off-topic", so I suggest we just call it a day.

Greetings!

PS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs View Post
Let's agree to disagree and play nice people? Vajda you're leaning in a bit much on the personal side and Jonny - have you had your coffee yet?
Yeah, I realized that too - therefore the little clarification and a "sorry" to anyone out there feeling insulted by my thoughts. But I don't think that Jonny and me were in a catfight already.
Old 18th April 2011, 09:37 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Ok off to separate corners now gents...
Old 18th April 2011, 11:35 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

ha ha
this is like a soap opera with the arguments!!

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 18th April 2011, 11:40 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
ha ha
this is like a soap opera with the arguments!!
Which always end with the making up scene. Kissy kissy...
Old 18th April 2011, 05:42 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Almar, I understand Fran and whomever else are working hard on these releases -- I have never doubted that. But there have been more than one or two muck-ups for Arrow releases, that is the honest truth (I'm including the initial check discs that get sent out too, ones that have had errors that had to be corrected before the final pressed discs were sent to stores). Off the top of my head these titles have had issues that have required fixing at some point -- MARTIN, DEEP RED, THE BEYOND, PHENOMENA, and TWO EVIL EYES. I'm absolutely not saying Arrow sucks, let me clear on that -- but there does seem to be a disconnect at some point that has cropped up and I'd really, really love to see Arrow fix this up permanently. I obviously don't know who's responsible for letting the errors slide through, but I honestly think someone else needs to be given the somewhat-final, almost ready to press copies to review and sign off on. I'm trying really hard to keep this constructive, too. Arrow clearly cares about the movies and fans, as do the fans about Arrow and the movies. I'd like to see Arrow keep the positive relationship going.

And YES -- I hate that film companies do not take care of their holdings. This absolutely freaking stinks to high heavens. I mean, cripes!, what kind of investor doesn't take care of their investments? Yow!
Jonny likes this.
Old 19th April 2011, 10:03 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Just so that there is no confusion and to continue this very transparent process of how this release of The Beyond has worked I asked Fran for the lowdown on the opening sequence and how it was corrected:

"The HD master we have is in black and white, in order for the colour to truly reflect the original colour scheme means going back to the negative and doing a scan and colour grading with the original DoP and then digitising that scan in an HD master and then authoring the disc from that master. We can only use the supplied material – an HD master, if we were to do a restoration from other film elements, such as a 35mm print the quality would never be good as original film elements – i.e. the negative or a positive. A 35mm print may also have missing frames and damage far worse to what condition the negative is in. We cannot access the negative as we do not have the original licensor’s permission to do this.

We were officially told by the licensor that the negative is in black and white but I am not sure I believe that given that the DoP has said that it was shot in colour and then graded to look like an old photo so what we had to do was try our very best to replicate Sergio Salvati’s intentions."

This release has certainly proved to be very tricky but people can from all the information over the past few months make a clear choice as to whether it is for them but one thing that is a constant issue with older films is what materials are supplied and what can be done with them and the best possible efforts have been made.
Old 19th April 2011, 11:47 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Have corrected discs also been sent out to retailers now, Almar?

Like this? Share it using the links below!