Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th April 2011, 07:12 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

its not the pixelation.
its the halo type effect above her hair. thats DNR.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 20th April 2011, 07:17 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I noticed that but DNR is something I only notice when it is done really heavily as you can tell when people look waxy. If it's done well in order to remove a great deal of print damage, then I don't mind it.
Old 20th April 2011, 07:17 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
its not the pixelation.
its the halo type effect above her hair. thats DNR.
Edge Enhancement you mean.
Old 20th April 2011, 07:35 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I see what you mean now -- is the edge enhancement you noticed visible from your normal seating position as that photo must have been taken from very close to the screen? I would imagine that a certain degree of pixelisation would be noticeable if you went right up to the screen in your local multiplex.
Of course that's true, I did go and look, but only because I noticed it and when a scene has a lot of it, and its moving, it does become a distraction. I posted the pix originally because I thought the 'caps' looked a lot worse than I remembered it looking in motion. In moderation, DNR/EE is fine, but there are parts of this disc that have a lot, and other bits none at all. There's a lot to like about the transfer.

I don't want to sound too negative, so I should mention how brilliant the soundtrack is. clear and crisp surround effects and dialogue nice and clear with good range and Arrow, thankfully, give you the mono option which is something a lot of companies don't bother with. It's fantastic.

It sounds a hell* of a lot better than I've ever heard it before.

*pun intended.
Old 20th April 2011, 07:37 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by brain dead View Post
Edge Enhancement you mean.
ah yes lol

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 20th April 2011, 07:38 PM
Cult Rookie

Yes, thats what I mean as well. DNR/EE I tend to use 'em out of context You can clearly see where someone has made all the pixels go white to try and make the outline stand out so it looks 'crisper' from a distance. There's some on the face as well, it looks a little smeary when moving. I'd love to know if a human does this or a machine?
Old 21st April 2011, 08:15 AM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I would imagine that a certain degree of pixelisation would be noticeable if you went right up to the screen in your local multiplex.
Hey Nos, I'm going to sound like a right pedant but I'm a projectionist by trade and just couldn't let it lie.

The majority of multiplexes run 35mm film so you'd never see any pixelation no matter how close and hard you looked at the screen.

Granted some cinemas now have digital projection, our company has been 100% digital for over a year now. I can't speak for cinemas that have 2K (just over 1080p) projectors as I haven't seen anything run on those but we have 4K (4x HD resolution) and I'm hard pressed to see pixels on our screens even when I'm right up close.

Just wanted to mention this in case some members who weren't savvy to these things assumed multiplexes all ran low res video projectors that had visible pixels on screen.

Sorry to go OT!
Old 21st April 2011, 08:44 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
Hey Nos, I'm going to sound like a right pedant but I'm a projectionist by trade and just couldn't let it lie.

The majority of multiplexes run 35mm film so you'd never see any pixelation no matter how close and hard you looked at the screen.

Granted some cinemas now have digital projection, our company has been 100% digital for over a year now. I can't speak for cinemas that have 2K (just over 1080p) projectors as I haven't seen anything run on those but we have 4K (4x HD resolution) and I'm hard pressed to see pixels on our screens even when I'm right up close.

Just wanted to mention this in case some members who weren't savvy to these things assumed multiplexes all ran low res video projectors that had visible pixels on screen.

Sorry to go OT!
Dang! I had plans to sell my old Sanyo projector to the local Odeon!
antmumford likes this.
Old 21st April 2011, 09:03 AM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs View Post
Dang! I had plans to sell my old Sanyo projector to the local Odeon!
Terra Firma are thinking of selling Odeon so I don't think they're buying anything at the moment. Vue are converting to digital this year though so you could give them a nudge and see if they want it?
Old 21st April 2011, 09:08 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
Terra Firma are thinking of selling Odeon so I don't think they're buying anything at the moment. Vue are converting to digital this year though so you could give them a nudge and see if they want it?
Probably best not to - there's a definite chicken wire effect!

Like this? Share it using the links below!