Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Arrow Archives (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=574)
-   -   Phenomena - Soundtrack (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/arrow-archives/4858-phenomena-soundtrack.html)

Sam@Cult Labs 3rd March 2011 05:00 PM

Phenomena - Soundtrack

I published a blog on the Phenomena soundtrack this week, so I thought I'd ask people what they think of the music in Argento's film.

Do people like the mix of Goblin-style horror-disco-prog-rock with thundering Metal (see also Demons)?

Click the LP to read the post...

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/m...nes1/ostlp.jpg

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 3rd March 2011 05:11 PM

Nice blog, Sam. :cool:

I really like the Phenomena soundtrack, and whilst it's not my favourite Argento soundtrack I love the mix of music used in this (well, maybe not the Frankie Goes to Hollywood so much! :lol:).

To me, it's almost as if Phenomena resonates a 'Rock Opera' kind of vibe.

Sam@Cult Labs 3rd March 2011 05:57 PM

Exactly and if you look at certain music videos from the time, they borrow heavily from fantastical cinema. Think of Total Eclipse of the Heart or Wild Boys.

You could use edits from Phenomena for a New Romantic video.

Re: Frankie Goes to Hollywood. The Demons soundtracks throw up similar surprises. It always weirds me out when I hear The Smiths pop up in Demons 2. I often wonder whether Morrisey knews about it.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 3rd March 2011 06:02 PM

Yeah,I like the Phenomena OST as well.
However DEEP RED is IMO the ultimate Argento OST.:nod:

Sargento 3rd March 2011 06:12 PM

I think this soundtrack is almost neck and neck with Suspiria as Argy's ultimate soundtrack! Sam has posted a link to Myspace in the shoutbox where you can listen the tracks ... you do forget just how good the soundtrack really is. I have been listening to The Valley (Wyman) on my Ipod for ages now and it really is a terrific track!

Sam@Cult Labs 3rd March 2011 06:17 PM

That Bill Wyman track is a bit of an Enigma isn't it? Not a second hand Blues lick in sight!

Sargento 3rd March 2011 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam@Cult Labs (Post 132804)
That Bill Wyman track is a bit of an Enigma isn't it? Not a second hand Blues lick in sight!

It is a really moody piece with some terrific echo guitar effects ... despite Wyman playing bass with the Stones! I remember being right at the front at a Stones concert and Mick Jagger was gonna throw Wyman off the stage onto us at one point for being rooted to the spot!

:rockon:

Splatterdragon73 5th March 2011 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam@Cult Labs (Post 132804)
That Bill Wyman track is a bit of an Enigma isn't it?

A superbly sinister track imo which perfectly complements Phenomena's opening moments. 'Jennifer' is a classic too and i'm gonna have to invest in some vintage Argento soundtracks sooner or later!:blush:

Splatterdragon73 5th March 2011 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam@Cult Labs (Post 132794)
It always weirds me out when I hear The Smiths pop up in Demons 2. I often wonder whether Morrisey knews about it.

As is well known, Morrissey is a devout animal lover and i believe the relevant lyrical genius was a tad suspicious concerning the demonic dog sequence in D2.

Apparently, the Mancunian legend had to be convinced the carnage-causing canine in question was going to be the work of FX artists before Morrissey gave his approval for The Smiths track 'Panic' to be used in the film.

Gee, i can't remember the last time a real dog actually spreaded 'death and contagion' around my neck of the woods!:rolleyes:

Sargento 5th March 2011 05:03 PM

Oh my God! Has Mozza actually seen the scene in question!!!? Some of the worst FX EVER! It ranks up there with that bloody thing that comes outta the kid!! FFS!

:fear: