Like Tree40Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th April 2011, 02:43 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trench View Post
I don't understand why people are so upset about waiting for replacement discs, especially those that say, "I thought I'd take a punt and buy this in the hope that I got the proper coloured intro, if I'd have known I'd get a B/W intro I'd have waited!".

So you could have held off buying it until the corrected discs were available, but you can't hold off (with your inferior disc) until the new discs are available? A wait's a wait, you'd have been waiting the same amount of time either way.
Absolutely correct. I think that today's customers are very hard to satisfy. Instead of being happy that we get a decent "The Beyond"-release for the first time AND great customer service, some are just complaining all the time: "Nag, nag, nag!". If we all get our corrected copies by the end of the month - congratulations, Arrow!

Besides: some german release had the colour-opening deliberately (also included in the bonus DVD) - so I think maybe it's time for a new thread "Which opening did Fulci really want?" Unfortunately the master himself cannot answer that question anymore. Or has anybody real proof for one of the openings being "the correct one"?

Greetings!
Old 12th April 2011, 02:48 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
Besides: some german release had the colour-opening deliberately (also included in the bonus DVD) - so I think maybe it's time for a new thread "Which opening did Fulci really want?" Unfortunately the master himself cannot answer that question anymore. Or has anybody real proof for one of the openings being "the correct one"?

Greetings!
The director of photography on The Beyond is on record as saying that the opening should be in a golden colour, like 'a faded photograph'. I think that's pretty definitive proof of how the opening should look.

But, that aside, well done to Arrow. Some might say it's not a quick turnaround, but for a BD I think they've done it quite quickly.
Old 12th April 2011, 03:00 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koukol View Post
I can only watch a movie about once in a year so I'm holding off on watching the defective BD even though it's killing me.
It's the Fulci movie we like to watch every March 13th, and making do with Manhattan Baby just wasn't the same.

The wait is certain to be worth it, though!

THE WILSON BROS
Old 12th April 2011, 03:03 PM
Active Cultist

yes! the wait is nearly at an end, cheers nos for the update
Old 12th April 2011, 03:44 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
The director of photography on The Beyond is on record as saying that the opening should be in a golden colour, like 'a faded photograph'. I think that's pretty definitive proof of how the opening should look.

But, that aside, well done to Arrow. Some might say it's not a quick turnaround, but for a BD I think they've done it quite quickly.
Thank you, that's what I meant by asking for "proof" - the director of photography should know what the movie should look like.

However, the official existence of differently coloured openings leaves enough room for us to pick our "pet" opening (as Rhodes already implied). I haven't seen the original opening yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Let's see if it can beat my "first impressions" of the b/w intro.

Greetings!
Old 12th April 2011, 04:14 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The original opening was filmed in color because b&w cost more to process and print. They knew it'd be cheaper to adjust the tint in post, that's why it "exists" in color.

Also, thanks for the update, Nos. I hope the new discs are scanned over with a fine-tooth comb to make sure everything is kosher this time around before they get sent out.
Old 12th April 2011, 04:40 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgart13 View Post
The original opening was filmed in color because b&w cost more to process and print. They knew it'd be cheaper to adjust the tint in post, that's why it "exists" in color.
You're right. I just wanted to point out that there actually were countries where some releases on VHS / DVD had the colour opening without this being called a mistake.

Greetings!
Old 12th April 2011, 06:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
Thank you, that's what I meant by asking for "proof" - the director of photography should know what the movie should look like.
Bird With The Crystal Plumage!
robertzombie likes this.
Old 12th April 2011, 06:59 PM
Cultist

Great news.
Old 12th April 2011, 07:03 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by springjack View Post
Bird With The Crystal Plumage!
Storraro does know what BIRD is supposed to look like. BUT, since he filmed that movie, his filmmaking philosophy changed and he now applies his "vision" to all of his movies (if he can). I don't disagree with anyone about Storraro's stupid ideas, and I'm sure he wouldn't disagree that BIRD was originally intended to be 2.35:1 -- but he's using his reputation and "star" power to conform his past works to his current philosophy.

Like this? Share it using the links below!