Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives

Like Tree40Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th April 2011, 06:06 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs View Post
Maybe they're checking if the into is correct for you before letting it through?
It's those damn Canadian customs agents molesting your discs again, Kouk!
Old 28th April 2011, 07:33 PM
Cultist in Training

Unhappy

Kouk, I live in Canada and my replacement Blu-Ray disc arrived in the mail yesterday, April 27th. Watched it right away. It had the opening sequence in "sepia"!! But on the other hand I saw a big scratch within the movie itself, not on the disc itself, when I watched it.
Old 29th April 2011, 04:41 AM
Cultist in Training

My replacement copy arrived today and the beautiful sepia opening is there. I couldn't be happier!
Old 29th April 2011, 09:33 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_burlock View Post
Kouk, I live in Canada and my replacement Blu-Ray disc arrived in the mail yesterday, April 27th. Watched it right away. It had the opening sequence in "sepia"!! But on the other hand I saw a big scratch within the movie itself, not on the disc itself, when I watched it.
A lot of people have wondered why when Arrow had to go back and remaster this film to correct the opening, that they did not take a bit more time, which they had plenty of as the release date had already been put back twice, and fix all the other problems at the same time!

My old Drawing Office Manager used to say when I was an apprentice that he found it strange that people never seemed to have enough time to do it right first time but always managed to find some time (usually a lot) to fix mistakes afterwards

thexperiment podcasts
Old 29th April 2011, 10:13 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnduhast View Post
A lot of people have wondered why when Arrow had to go back and remaster this film to correct the opening, that they did not take a bit more time, which they had plenty of as the release date had already been put back twice, and fix all the other problems at the same time!

My old Drawing Office Manager used to say when I was an apprentice that he found it strange that people never seemed to have enough time to do it right first time but always managed to find some time (usually a lot) to fix mistakes afterwards
I do understand where you're coming from. If you're going to fix something, you may as well get it all fixed. I think Arrow were in a no win situation tbh. Some peole would say fair enough, take all the time you need to fix it, and others (the ones who were ripping arrow to shreds in the first place), would have had a field day if they said it will take some more time before the dics are ready.
Prince_Vajda likes this.
Old 29th April 2011, 10:28 AM
Active Cultist

After reading this i went to check mine out which had'nt been opened since i bought it (Release day), as i have'nt had the time to watch it. After checking it out i do have the B&W opening credits version. Now lets see if i still have the receipt.

UPDATE

Found receipt, attached a photo/scan copy to the email address with my return address details. Many Thanks in advance Arrow & Cult Labs.

My Diary & Purchase Collection page: http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...tml#post318577

Last edited by Ken; 29th April 2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 29th April 2011, 10:54 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
I do understand where you're coming from. If you're going to fix something, you may as well get it all fixed. I think Arrow were in a no win situation tbh. Some peole would say fair enough, take all the time you need to fix it, and others (the ones who were ripping arrow to shreds in the first place), would have had a field day if they said it will take some more time before the dics are ready.
Quite right. For many people, it runs in the blood. They prefer complaining about things they don't know all details about (although Arrow is very transparent compared to other companies). I own about 1,500 discs (DVD and Blu-ray) and numerous VHS and if I look at all those releases on the wrong day, I find errors in at least 90% of them.

To keep it simple: sometimes I get the feeling that we live in a world where everybody knows exactly what rights he has - but only very few live up to their own high standards. Those complaining about what Arrow could have done better in the first place: well, I'm sure they're all never late at work, they never shout at their wives and, of course, they never exceed the speed limits. As they all know exactly how things run.

Speaking for myself, I am very happy with the job Arrow is doing and those 17 releases I own are fantastic in my book. And as to those little itty bitty mistakes in their releases - let them who only have flawless releases cast the first stone!

Greetings!

PS: And once again - no, I do not forbid somebody to speak critically. But the principle of proportionality should always be taken into account.

Update: replacement Blu-ray arrived today - another satisfied customer!
Kenro199x likes this.

Last edited by Prince_Vajda; 29th April 2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 29th April 2011, 04:31 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
And as to those little itty bitty mistakes in their releases
You and I obviously have very different views on Quality. Which is fine as we are all different and all have different views on what "Quality" is to us individually.

It is not rocket science really it is not, all these "little itty bitty mistakes" were spotted immediately by film fans let alone someone like Stephen Thrower or Marc Morris etc

All it takes is a little bit of Quality Control and checking of the end product before release or at least waiting for feedback from the experts the check discs were sent out to before entering final production. Otherwise what is the point of sending them out if you are not going to use the free & knowledgeable feedback?

I feel it is such a shame that missing that little bit of QC at the end has now tarnished all the hard work and long hours that people at Arrow obviously put into this release.

Having worked for the MoD for a number of years and now running my own company I feel slightly qualified to talk about this.

If you have to fix a mistake you do it exactly how Arrow has handled this which I must say is exemplary in their market place!

But when you do, you make damm sure you get everything right second time around as consumers will only forgive you so many times.

Good Reputations take a long time to build up but can be lost very quickly, bad reputations unfortunately are the complete opposite and can be gained very quickly but take a long time to lose.

We really need companies like Arrow and I know they appreciate customer feedback proof of which is this forum. I also agree that they only need constructive criticism as anything else can be soul destroying with the effort they put into these releases but they also do not need unbridled praise without limit for products that even they admit are not to their own standards even.

As you say quite rightly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
But the principle of proportionality should always be taken into account.

Stephen@Cult Labs
Quote:
and others (the ones who were ripping arrow to shreds in the first place), would have had a field day if they said it will take some more time before the discs are ready.
I agree but the best way to silence your detractors is to get it right even if that does take a bit longer as a few extra weeks compared to how long this disc will now be available in the market place is minuscule.

I do appreciate how badly the elements they get presented with can be but that is what Arrow is all about and extremely good at; turning a pigs ear material/elements into a first class release
Maybe sometimes they just need to allow themselves a bit longer lead time to do it and themselves justice.

Long may they keep doing it
robertzombie and m_burlock like this.

thexperiment podcasts
Old 29th April 2011, 05:43 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Still waiting on mine (Chicago).
Old 30th April 2011, 11:30 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnduhast View Post
I feel it is such a shame that missing that little bit of QC at the end has now tarnished all the hard work and long hours that people at Arrow obviously put into this release.

If you have to fix a mistake you do it exactly how Arrow has handled this which I must say is exemplary in their market place!

But when you do, you make damm sure you get everything right second time around as consumers will only forgive you so many times.

Good Reputations take a long time to build up but can be lost very quickly, bad reputations unfortunately are the complete opposite and can be gained very quickly but take a long time to lose.
I think most of us in this thread already agreed on what are you're pointing out here: it would be cheaper for Arrow to spend a little more time checking the final product. I think nearly everybody in this forum would agree that a release date delay of about a month for The Beyond (as we have it now as most of the customers got their replacement discs) would have been perfectly alright.

However, I keep my choice of words and still refer to Arrow's problems as littly itty bitty problems - as no mistake was big enough to prevent me from buying a release or to heavily reduce my joy with the product. Additionally, the service this company provided each and every time is really top notch - most other companies, being a lot bigger in terms of money and staff, look like midgets compared to Arrow.

It's quite easy to join my view on quality - I take a look at the product and check out the flaws and the benefits. As long as I get a positive result, I am happy, and let me tell you: most of the time Arrow are not only slightly in the +-region.
Of course, everyone has the right to be very strict and very accurate - but on the other hand, who would want to swap his Ferrari just because of slightly faulty clearances?

Greetings!
Closed Thread  

Like this? Share it using the links below!