LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th March 2011, 03:54 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
to quote the announcement...

"SPECIAL FEATURES:

- Brand new High Definition restoration of the film from the original negative presented in Director of Photography, Vittorio Storaro’s original 2:1 Univisium aspect ratio"

to me that is passing off a defect as a special feature, but we can agree to disagree.
like i said i understand it's not arrow's fault, but i agree with whoever said that passing it off as a special feature is a bit much.
i also said i'd still be buying it, so i think it's fair to voice my opinion. i'm not an arrow hater i'm an arrow lover, but when they start claiming an inferior print of a film as a special feature i think this needs to be addressed.
instead of listing it as a special feature i would have preferred something along the lines of 'we're very sorry but this is the only print we could get'
that's all.
Fair enough - and no problem on the opinion - to be honest though in this day and age no one sells anything on the basis of trying to make it sound rubbish - do they?

It's the best possible master available to buy and that's what is being used and clearly stated so anyone who dislikes Storaro treatments can make a bodyswerve. I think that's pretty fair?
Old 28th March 2011, 03:58 PM
Cult Rookie

If they did pay for the rights before they saw what master they were getting that's a huge shame as this will hurt Arrow a lot.

If I wasn't someone that dwelled forums and picked this Blu Ray up only to see that it was cropped I would never buy an Arrow release again. I'd avoid those fancy white boxes like the plague from then on. If they saw the master and still decided to release anyway that was a very poor decision. Blu Ray is a prestige format, so buying a Blu Ray only to discover that the film was cropped would steer me well clear of a company's releases for good.
Old 28th March 2011, 03:59 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Almar - don't Arrow have any say in how the film is presented? I'm only asking because I don't know how these things work. And is there any reason why the BU master isn't available to Arrow?
Old 28th March 2011, 04:03 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Almar - don't Arrow have any say in how the film is presented? I'm only asking because I don't know how these things work. And is there any reason why the BU master isn't available to Arrow?
I don't know why it wasn't available but Arrow do try every avenue. You don't get to see materials before you buy a film - weird but generally true - so you can end up then having to search yourself for better materials but at some point, when you've exhausted options available to you, you go with the best you can.
Old 28th March 2011, 04:05 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djangooo View Post
If they did pay for the rights before they saw what master they were getting that's a huge shame as this will hurt Arrow a lot.

If I wasn't someone that dwelled forums and picked this Blu Ray up only to see that it was cropped I would never buy an Arrow release again. I'd avoid those fancy white boxes like the plague from then on. If they saw the master and still decided to release anyway that was a very poor decision. Blu Ray is a prestige format, so buying a Blu Ray only to discover that the film was cropped would steer me well clear of a company's releases for good.
I'm afraid you don't have a choice when buying a film - you usually don't see materials first.
Old 28th March 2011, 04:08 PM
Active Cultist

i understand, of course you want to big up the release but i also think in this day and age honesty is the best policy, no-one likes to feel hoodwinked. it's like saying: special features - fully restored 4:3 cropped version with original print damage. doesn't make much sense does it?
i would simply suggest not listing it as a special feature, and maybe including a small disclaimer as shameless have done when the film is cut or features footage of varying quality, i think people will always react better to this kind of honesty, and are more likely to be understanding of the fact that this situation was imposed on arrow.
Old 28th March 2011, 04:11 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
i understand, of course you want to big up the release but i also think in this day and age honesty is the best policy, no-one likes to feel hoodwinked. it's like saying: special features - fully restored 4:3 cropped version with original print damage. doesn't make much sense does it?
i would simply suggest not listing it as a special feature, and maybe including a small disclaimer as shameless have done when the film is cut or features footage of varying quality, i think people will always react better to this kind of honesty, and are more likely to be understanding of the fact that this situation was imposed on arrow.
I think 4:3 and damaged is a touch surely? I quite understand there are people who don't like what Storaro does but it is a restoration by him - it would be a little odd to single that out on packaging as a defect surely?
Old 28th March 2011, 04:20 PM
Active Cultist

well yes i'm exaggerating to make the point, but nonetheless this is a cropped version of bird no matter how you phrase it, and i don't think anyone could consider that a special feature.
i think i will leave it there as i don't wish to keep bludgeoning the fairly minor point i'm trying to make. thank you for taking the time respond to me almar, you know i only wish the very best for arrow so all my comments come from a well meaning place.
Old 28th March 2011, 04:20 PM
Active Cultist

Just looking at the blue underground disk and this new blu seems lacking,im not a big fan but the US disk has lots more audio options.English 7.1 dts-hd,7.1 Dolby True HD,5.1 dolby surround EX and a Italian 5.1 track and the commentary
Old 28th March 2011, 04:21 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs View Post
I quite understand there are people who don't like what Storaro does but it is a restoration by him - it would be a little odd to single that out on packaging as a defect surely?
I suggested to Fran that the aspect ratio be pointed out on the back of the package this way:

Quote:
The HD Master that the licensor supplied to Arrow for this release originated in the 2:1 aspect ratio and was restored in Rome. No other version was available to us.
Closed Thread  

Like this? Share it using the links below!