Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st April 2011, 08:28 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Default Tenebrae – How You Discovered It

How did you first come across this classic giallo? Has it's been a favourite for years or haven't you seen it yet?
Old 1st April 2011, 08:35 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Found an old VHS in a second hand store YEARS ago,and then picked up the Nouveaux vhs and DVD (Which refused to play in my Phillips dvd player!)
They were cut though.
With exception to the Japanese disc,I've owned Tenebrae on every subsequent release since!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 1st April 2011, 08:42 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Tenebrae is my favourite giallo of all time - a tall order considering the amount of amazing, creative films the genre has to offer.

I can't remember when I first saw it, but I remember it was one of the first gialli I ever saw. I think the first Anchor Bay DVD was the culprit for hooking me on Tenebrae, although later on, I found out one of friends had this butchered UK release:

I think he still may have it - mainly for the laughable censoring of the neck wound with a nice pretty bow!

This is my most highly anticipated Arrow release so far; no matter what else is coming out from them or anyone else this year: this is THE release of 2011, for me.

Last edited by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs; 1st April 2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old 1st April 2011, 09:33 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I still have that Nouveaux DVD!

I like the red bow!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 1st April 2011, 09:45 PM
Cult Rookie

Like a lot of cult films, this one came to me via my father and his bootleg videos that he'd pick up at carboot sales or markets. Watched this around the same time as a few other previously banned horrors, although tenebrae is the only one of those films I can clearly remember. Now one of my favourite gialli, and the only one my partner has ever enjoyed. Looking forward to arrow DVD and hope it's a worthy upgrade to my old 2 disc AB.
Old 1st April 2011, 11:49 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I've never seen it, along with many other Argento films. That's why I love Arrow Video for introducing me to such great films. Can't wait for this to drop through the letterbox.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 2nd April 2011, 08:38 AM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Rented from Galaxy Video in Grimsby back in 1983/84 for the princely sum of £1 for the night. Back then it was 2-3 films every night, the hey day of video rentals and the most exciting time ever for the video industry....

I remember thinking it was a good little thriller with an impressive ending, but found the flashback sequences a little tedious. Then again, I was only 18 at the time
Old 2nd April 2011, 08:46 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigandya View Post
Rented from Galaxy Video in Grimsby back in 1983/84 for the princely sum of £1 for the night. Back then it was 2-3 films every night, the hey day of video rentals and the most exciting time ever for the video industry....

I remember thinking it was a good little thriller with an impressive ending, but found the flashback sequences a little tedious. Then again, I was only 18 at the time
I wish I could of enjoyed the home video revolution. However, when you were renting that Tenebrae VHS Andy, I was in nappies!
Old 2nd April 2011, 04:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

This was among a batch of "banned movies" I got my hands on in early '91 when I was 17- and needless to say it blew me away
So my first watch was the cut, banned German version, a few years later followed by a basically uncut (apart from some print damage) Greek ex rental vhs, then came the Roan Group laserdisc, with the ABUK and Raptor DVDs bringing "Tenebrae" to the 21st century. So far, the Scandinavian DVD is the only fully complete edition I own. Looking very much forward to the upcoming Arrow SE of my favourite giallo.
Old 2nd April 2011, 05:51 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Your fave Argento?

You'd never be able to tell mate.....
Peter Neal likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!