All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th June 2011, 07:05 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinncent View Post
What!!..You don´t say...;-)
Yup, I'm serious ... oh, and by the way: some guy just discovered America.

TBH - I didn't read through the thread. I was just kinda disappointed by the transfer and wanto share that ... even though I can figure that barely anyone cares.
Old 17th June 2011, 07:56 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playzocker View Post
TBH - I didn't read through the thread. I was just kinda disappointed by the transfer and wanto share that ... even though I can figure that barely anyone cares.
Ha ha..it wasn´t that i meant..only that this has been coverd ever since the movie was annouced...it sounded like it came like a surprise to you with the AR!
Old 17th June 2011, 08:21 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Yup, I'm serious ... oh, and by the way: some guy just discovered America.

People do care though, and your opinion (on anything and everything) is very welcome on the forum. The debate on the AR has been raging, as vinncent said, since the release was announced. You should have a look through the threads if you get the chance.
Old 18th June 2011, 12:23 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trench View Post
People do care though, and your opinion (on anything and everything) is very welcome on the forum. The debate on the AR has been raging, as vinncent said, since the release was announced. You should have a look through the threads if you get the chance.
Yup, I should have.

I once was very active on the forum but lately, I haven't had the time to do so ... so yeahh, I was really surprised by the AR, since I never read about it before.

Still, I want to encourage Arrow to keep putting Blu-rays out. Even if the transfer is bad (like with Caligula or Bay of Blood) the picture is still better than the DVD counterpart which alone makes the BD worth it, if you ask me. And since I don't by DVDs anymore (AV and some German series like the Trash Collection and the CAT III Series being the exception) I'm always happy about the AV BD releases.

The only thing I REALLY want to get into their head is to stop with the damn DNR. This NEVER makes the image look better - it makes it look unnatural, waxy und reduces detail. I know that there are many people out there who hate film grain but these films aren't the glossy-blockbuster-kinds-films so I think the look has a right to be kept even in HD. And if this proves to be REALLY controversial ... why not include two transfers on the same disc, one "remastered" and the other one original.

But I get it, the licensors don't always dish out the best materials available ... but why BU gets the better one is something I don't quite understand. Or did they do a new transfer on their own because they didn't like the licensors material?
Old 18th June 2011, 01:47 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Yup, I should have.

IStill, I want to encourage Arrow to keep putting Blu-rays out. Even if the transfer is bad (like with Caligula or Bay of Blood)
I think that Bay of Blood has a very good transfer! The best we will ever see that film in i guess!
Pete likes this.
Old 18th June 2011, 02:06 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinncent View Post
I think that Bay of Blood has a very good transfer! The best we will ever see that film in i guess!
I agree. Apart from the slightly muted colours, the Arrow release of A Bay of Blood is top-notch.

Caligula ain't too bad either - it's a cheap movie and not one of the pets of the big movie companies. Considering this, the Arrow release is quite alright in terms of quality.

Greetings!
Old 18th June 2011, 03:27 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Even if the transfer is bad (like with Caligula or Bay of Blood)
As others have said, I think the picture quality on A Bay of Blood is excellent. Caligula has never looked good -- as I said in my review
Quote:
Caligula is a film with notoriously poor visual quality, with Newsweek saying that it "seemed to have been filmed through a tub of Vaseline"
Quote:
The only thing I REALLY want to get into their head is to stop with the damn DNR. This NEVER makes the image look better
Arrow don't add DNR as they don't have the time and resources. Any DNR that is there existed on the master Arrow used -- something they didn't see before paying for it.
Quote:
But I get it, the licensors don't always dish the best materials available ... but why BU gets the better one is something I don't quite understand. Or did they do a new transfer on their own because they didn't like the licensors material?
Blue Underground is a much bigger company than Arrow with a bigger audience, deeper pockets and more tools at their disposal. There is no universal agreement that every BU picture is better than its Arrow counterpart, with some preferring the picture on a Arrow BD to the BU one.
Old 18th June 2011, 06:44 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Good to know that Arrow doesn't use noise reduction. I've seen a few screenshot comparisons that make it look pretty obvious some of the Arrow transfers have been "corrected" via DNR.

Well, the Caligula transfer really doesn't look good, the vaseline-comparison sounds kinda accurate. I wouldn't go as far to agree with the BD.com review that gives the picture a whole 1,5/5 (Caligula Blu-ray: The Imperial Edition) and I accept that this film might not be able to look better.

With A Bay of Blood, maybe my expectations were too high. After Arrows first few BD releases I was really happy what kind of quality they can dish out for their releases ... but the ABOB transfer suffers from a very soft appearence, weak colors and other problems that I've already forgotten.

It's not that I despise any of those releases and transfers, I definitely didn't want to make it sound like this. I'm glad someone goes through the effort of creating those great editions and tries to gather crazy artwork, bonus materials and (mostly) good transfers.
Old 18th June 2011, 07:43 PM
Cult Rookie

I thought the quality of Bay Of Blood was great. It was a huge improvement over the copy shown on Zone Horror a couple of weeks prior to the Arrow release.
Old 2nd July 2011, 05:35 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

i think the Remaster on the blu is bloody fantastic, it's very clean, i've only seen bits of the film in the past and most have been overly grainy and dark.

Like this? Share it using the links below!