Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th July 2011, 09:05 PM
Cultist

Mine arrived this morning, but I'm far too tired to watch it tonight having only slept for about an hour last night. I really like the nice glossier slipcase it has though, and that it's slightly wider. I've always been more fond of the wider boxes of VHS than those thinner ones with nothing but a skimpy little title on the spine that all DVD and BDs have. I like my cases to be nice and meaty... if that makes sense.
Old 13th July 2011, 06:56 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I was actually surprised at the size of the slipcase on this one - extra wide to incorporate a nice, big thick booklet.
Old 13th July 2011, 11:00 AM
Cultist

Now it's placed on my shelf I do see a decent difference. I would have rather Arrow used a full sized bluray case, not the thinner type, and that the image on the spine was wider, rather than a larger square as it stands out slightly. Same goes for Day od the Dead, actually. I guess that's just being quite anal though.

I didn't sleep last night, but I hope to finally get around to watching this and Don't Look Now tonight. Hopefully back to back if I can stay awake. I've read a bit of the screenplay, a nice addition as I've always had some interest in original film writing which can often be difficult to find. From what I've read it sounds interesting, but that was only a few pages so I don't go and spoil it for myself!
Old 13th July 2011, 01:14 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I love the idea of adding the movie's script to the release ... please do that again soon.
Old 13th July 2011, 05:07 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend View Post
Now it's placed on my shelf I do see a decent difference. I would have rather Arrow used a full sized bluray case, not the thinner type, and that the image on the spine was wider, rather than a larger square as it stands out slightly. Same goes for Day od the Dead, actually. I guess that's just being quite anal though.

I didn't sleep last night, but I hope to finally get around to watching this and Don't Look Now tonight. Hopefully back to back if I can stay awake. I've read a bit of the screenplay, a nice addition as I've always had some interest in original film writing which can often be difficult to find. From what I've read it sounds interesting, but that was only a few pages so I don't go and spoil it for myself!
I'd prefer they used the thinner cases on all their releases. I hate the size of the UK cases. Had to be bloody different diddn't we?
Old 13th July 2011, 05:09 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
I'd prefer they used the thinner cases on all their releases. I hate the size of the UK cases. Had to be bloody different diddn't we?
Completely agree!
Old 13th July 2011, 06:20 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I'd prefer they used the thinner cases on all their releases. I hate the size of the UK cases.
The HD slim cases are much better in terms of space-saving but, from a distance, it's sometimes hard to make out the title -- something which isn't a problem with the HD keep cases. It's six and two threes really.
Prince_Vajda likes this.
Old 13th July 2011, 06:41 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
I'd prefer they used the thinner cases on all their releases. I hate the size of the UK cases.
Absolutely, 100% agree!

I hate those thick bastards - I have over 1,500 Blu-rays now and it REALLY makes a difference in how many you can store (5 Amarays equal 6 Elite Cases and 7 of the even slightly slimmer versions) and I don't get why Fox has to be the ONLY (!) Major who uses the Amarays even in Germany and why almost everyone uses them in the UK.

It's just a waste of space cuz I don't think that they look "classier" than the slimmer versions.
Old 15th July 2011, 11:56 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Mine finally arrived today (Ugh Zavvi -_-, god knows when they'll get around to despatching The Funhouse) and after slotting it into my shelves, I started counting, and it turns out, Obsession is my 100th Blu-ray purchase! Quite the small number compared to some here I imagine, but it's quite the milestone. I can remember getting to 100 DVDs and now I have them jutting out of every orifice in the house.

Heres to 100 more (funnily enough, my 101st Blu will also be an Arrow release, unless Zavvi get even more shit than usual)! It's a damn nice package too. I quite like the wide case, and as it sits on the same row as Mulholland Drive, The Nesting and The New York Ripper (all smaller sized cases) it works out quite well. I'm going to have to start investing in even more shelves !
Old 10th September 2011, 05:59 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I watched my disc a couple of nights ago and was really impressed with it. Granted the soft-focus nature of many of the shots in the film don't really lend themselves to the HD format but the sound, particularly Bernard Hermann's score, is terrific. Nice choice of extras too. I've seen the doco before (was on the US DVD) but I'm really looking forward to seeing the De Palma shorts and reading Paul Schrader's screenplay.

I did read Brad Steven's essay though - a great piece that makes you look at the film in a different light - I'd only recommend reading it AFTER you've seen the film though.

An all round great package this one.

Like this? Share it using the links below!