Old 22nd April 2011, 06:47 PM
Active Cultist

It's not, sorry.
Old 22nd April 2011, 07:01 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

While I agree that dvd is far from a dead format,Blu Ray is the future,and I'll now buy an older film on BD before I buy a dvd....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 22nd April 2011, 08:05 PM
Cult Acolyte

To be honest I'm not interested in buying Bird with the Crystal Plumage on either format.
Old 22nd April 2011, 08:34 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

DVD is far from dead as shown by films that were recently Oscar-nominated and have not been released on BD. However, there is a limited market for some films and Arrow's research had shown that, when titles are released on Blu-ray and DVD, sales of the SD format are minimal as people opt for Blu-ray.
Old 28th April 2011, 10:28 PM
Cult Rookie

Could someone clear up my confusion on the aspect ratio for this release.
If there is already one out with the correct aspect ratio, why is this being released cropped?
This is one area of format that I have never looked into, so any sort of reply would be of great interest to me

Regarding the format choice for this release...I am all for the decision to release just the Blu if an uncut print is already hanging around, that leaves arrow to invest money in a completely separate DVD Release

I would not mind one bit if Savage Streets went straight to Blu as the AWE and BCI versions are around (the latter being OOP obviously)
Old 8th May 2011, 10:49 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
DVD is far from dead as shown by films that were recently Oscar-nominated and have not been released on BD. However, there is a limited market for some films and Arrow's research had shown that, when titles are released on Blu-ray and DVD, sales of the SD format are minimal as people opt for Blu-ray.
Which Oscar nominated films? The only one I can think of recently was Bright Star and that had a Region A Release.
Old 9th May 2011, 07:54 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRW View Post
Which Oscar nominated films? The only one I can think of recently was Bright Star and that had a Region A Release.
There is also The Illusionist, which was nominated in the Best Animated Film category.

Check out this article in the Guardian far more on why Blu-ray has yet to replace DVD:

Blu-ray just gives me the blues | Film | guardian.co.uk
Old 9th May 2011, 08:14 AM
Cult Rookie

Amazon.com: The Illusionist (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo): Jean-Claude Donda, Edith Rankin, Sylvain Chomet: Movies & TV

This Illusionist? I've pre-ordered that one.

That film blog article is full of fail. Hardly any Kubrick? You could get a lot of them on HD-DVD, never mind Bluray. You can get practically all of them now apart from The Killing, I think.
Old 9th May 2011, 08:22 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I think the article is referring to the UK market, so any film was released on Blu-ray just in the US don't count. It's sad to think we're not getting the media book release of A Clockwork Orange and numerous other BDs that will only be available in the US. Why isn't The Illusionist being released on Blu-ray in the UK? I don't know.
Old 9th May 2011, 11:52 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djangooo View Post
Shameless should take the same approach. Hello Sergio Martino and Umberto Lenzi Blu Rays.
After many collector's years (and formats) in the genre, I'm starting to get severely tired of chasing after "the next big thing"- so if "Arrow" and "Shameless" opt one of these days to go Blu-only, that'll be me as a paying customer less for sure.
It's films I care about and with debates etc getting severely focussed on the technical side of all things movie-cultish, I'm starting to loose the appetite for it.
For the time being, I'm happy with whatever Arrow/Shameless DVDs I can still get my hands on- and if they call it a day by only putting out Blus at some point, so be it. I'm loosing my grip to get fussed about that one, really, except for me not appreciating the idea of Blu-Ray as a new tool for fanboy-elitism.

No DVDs any longer....? That'll give me some time to rewatch my goodies...
Kyle and plasterface like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!