Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th April 2011, 07:27 PM
Cult Rookie

Default Arrow not releasing this movie on DVD

I've just gone on to Amazon and looked up Bird with the Crystal Plumage, and apparently, Arrow are refusing to release this movie on DVD, and will only be bringing out a Blu-Ray release. I don't own a Blu-Ray player, as they're not currently region-free, and I'm obviously not the only person who doesn't own one, as there was a somewhat ticked-off review on Amazon that stated many of the things I've just written. DVD is not a dead format yet, and Arrow appear to be releasing. or have already released, most of their other films on bothe formats, so why are they not doing so with what will surely be one of their best selling titles?
plasterface likes this.
Old 10th April 2011, 07:53 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I'm obviously not qualified to speak on Arrow's behalf or anything but I think that, based on past sales of dvds and due to the target audience that Arrow go for, the dvd sales are nowhere near as good as the Bluray ones and so it's perhaps not worth pursuing the dvd market. This isn't to say that dvd is a dead format, it's just not what the average Arrow Video-buyer goes for.
Old 10th April 2011, 08:28 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Because I haven't upgraded to Blu ray yet I buy all my arrow stuff on DVD so I can see where this person is coming from, but I'm not to bothered about this release only being blu because of the aspect ratio issue.
Old 10th April 2011, 10:14 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK Wolfman View Post
I've just gone on to Amazon and looked up Bird with the Crystal Plumage, and apparently, Arrow are refusing to release this movie on DVD, and will only be bringing out a Blu-Ray release. I don't own a Blu-Ray player, as they're not currently region-free, and I'm obviously not the only person who doesn't own one, as there was a somewhat ticked-off review on Amazon that stated many of the things I've just written. DVD is not a dead format yet, and Arrow appear to be releasing. or have already released, most of their other films on bothe formats, so why are they not doing so with what will surely be one of their best selling titles?
Count your blessings and buy one of the other DVDs of it out there. Why would you wait for Arrow's cropped version?
Old 10th April 2011, 10:48 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

well to be honest its nice seeing it the other way around for once, i will only buy a film released on blu ray as to me dvd has become the new vhs.

there are quite a few arrows i would have bought on blu ray which re only slated for dvd release

such as demons, island of death and savage streets, house by cemetery etc..

it is a pain tho when a film you are waiting for doesnt come out on your prefered format so i know how you feel
Old 12th April 2011, 04:53 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Arrow have never made a secret that this will be a Blu-ray only release, as you can tell from the very first post.

By way of explanation, recent trends have indicated where a film has had a DVD release there is greater interest in a Blu-ray but not as much in a new DVD. Therefore there will be select titles which will be Blu-ray only, this will allow us to save time by working on one format and also use that time and money to invest in more releases.

I hope this answers any queries you have.
robertzombie and Andra Jai like this.
Old 12th April 2011, 05:00 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

thank god i have a blu-ray player then....
Old 12th April 2011, 05:14 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Arrow have never made a secret that this will be a Blu-ray only release, as you can tell from the very first post.

By way of explanation, recent trends have indicated where a film has had a DVD release there is greater interest in a Blu-ray but not as much in a new DVD. Therefore there will be select titles which will be Blu-ray only, this will allow us to save time by working on one format and also use that time and money to invest in more releases.

I hope this answers any queries you have.
Shameless should take the same approach. Hello Sergio Martino and Umberto Lenzi Blu Rays.
Andra Jai and Amertume like this.
Old 15th April 2011, 08:41 PM
Active Cultist

It's a shame, I would have bought this on DVD. I have a blu-ray player but I don't buy them often. DVD is better value for money and is certainly not inferior to BD in the same way VHS was to DVD.
bedorca likes this.
Old 18th April 2011, 06:11 PM
Cult Rookie

Come on, fellas, this has been available on DVD for over a decade. And in its correct aspect ratio to boot. It would be an utter waste of time and money for Arrow to release this on DVD. DVD is a dead format, sorry and all that, but its true.
Amertume and vaultkeeper like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!