Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th April 2011, 08:15 PM
Cult Rookie

Default Arrow Blu's not selling well?!?!

Just a little disappointed that some of the recently announced releases aren't being given the blu treatment: Savage Streets, the Fantastic Factory line-up, Demons 1/2, Pervert!

I own most of these films on DVD already - so unfortunately I won't be able to support Arrow on these releases.
Old 20th April 2011, 08:25 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by junyab View Post
Just a little disappointed that some of the recently announced releases aren't being given the blu treatment: Savage Streets, the Fantastic Factory line-up, Demons 1/2, Pervert!

I own most of these films on DVD already - so unfortunately I won't be able to support Arrow on these releases.
No hi def materials I'm afraid for now.
Old 6th May 2011, 01:35 AM
Active Cultist

I agree, they would be nice...
but how about Slaughter High and Kentucky fried movie?
Old 6th May 2011, 05:07 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

While I can see why Blu collectors might be disappointed about some of the Arrow catalogue not making it to BD, the same goes for the DVD fraction with "Blu exclusive" releases like the upcoming "The Funhouse" SE!
The latter clearly hinting at Arrow certainly trying to do their part in pushing the new format despite thereby closing out another potential portion of customers in the process.
I guess in the mentioned instances it seems to be inevitable that one group or another won't get what they'd like.
Old 6th May 2011, 12:32 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Or just the simple fact that there's probably not any top quality original prints to pull a decent HD master from? There's no point a company like Arrow sticking out a blu-ray if you're just going to upscale and edge enhance an SD copy. So they don't. I for one congratulate them for this!
Old 6th May 2011, 12:48 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I don't think it's a case of there not being any top quality materials to master an HD transfer from, it's probably more a case of having to pay for that to be done. I think Arrow generally access HD transfers that have already been done rather than commissioning new ones. I could be wrong, but this is the impression I get. Commissioning a brand new 2k scan from a negative is a costly exercise, so I'm told. But over time it will get cheaper and eventually most films will make the transition to BD. It was exactly like this in the early days of DVD, but now it's relatively cheap to get a DVD done and the same will soon be true of BD.

I agree though, better to bypass a BD release if they can't afford to get an HD master created, than to release something simply upscaled.
Old 6th May 2011, 04:23 PM
Cultist

i dont mind to be fair beacuse im not aiming to pick up all the Arrow Releases just the ones i want really i mean ive got inferno on dvd but thats beacuse my hmv didnt have the blu at the time so i might double dip
Old 12th April 2012, 04:55 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

When Arrow starts locking the blu's to region b it's gonna see a decrease in the blu rays that sell. I'll grab the region free ones and get the other DVDs non-bd (Demons/Demons2)
Old 12th April 2012, 05:50 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Unfortunately, now licensors see Blu-ray sales increasing globally, they are getting more greedy and and are starting to prevent companies from producing region free discs.

My advice: Buy a cheap region free player: it's definitely worth it considering the amount of great titles available that are already region locked.
Old 12th April 2012, 06:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Unfortunately, now licensors see Blu-ray sales increasing globally, they are getting more greedy and and are starting to prevent companies from producing region free discs.

My advice: Buy a cheap region free player: it's definitely worth it considering the amount of great titles available that are already region locked.
That's easily done for regular DVDs but a decently priced region free blu ray player is harder to find. Which at the end of the day will limit my blu ray buying. One of the things I appreciate about companies like Arrow and Shameless are the region free DVDs, especially the blu's.
HBTC thankfully is abc yet Demons was forced to be region locked. It will sadly show in sales at the end of the day, it's inevitable. Until region free blu ray players become easier to obtain people from other areas will buy regular r2/0 or region free blu's.
I went online trying to see about watching a r2 blu ray. Someone suggested ripping a copy and watching that...just a little too much work I'm afraid.lol

Like this? Share it using the links below!